AR 13229, X2.28 flare!

MinYoongi
Go to solution Solved by arjemma,

Magnetosphere impact movies

Actually, with the solar wind speed, density, and temperature increasing all day 2/20, I’d suggest that last nights brief impact was the prior small filament CME and this is the (very) long duration X flare now. That speed bump was seen on more than Discover. Still rising. Impact is fairly minor due to initial Northward Bz. You can always watch watch in near real time to “see” an impact on NOAA’s magnetosphere model. 

3F865E1D-A1D7-4741-855C-72881168BC4C.jpeg

Edited by David Silver

This is the CME from the 17th (arrival ~ /20 09:50Z). The velocities around 460km/s are a perfect fit. We'll find out how much the CH comes into play, but the flux rope could arrive at any time within the next 18 hours if it does arrive.

Edited by Jesterface23

Yes, If

45 minutes ago, NEAurora said:

Doh!  I even looked a the AiA and thought: huh, that doesn’t look very bright for an M.  Completely missed the actual flare over on the limb.  Whoops!

you look at the recent flares list you will see this unnamed guy for the last few days or so. With any luck it will launch some CMEs in coming days. 

I didn't think the first impact was the X2 CME either but everyone said it was, protons are still rising, don't they usually start declining once the CME has hit unless there's more on the way?

Edited by mozy

7 minutes ago, mozy said:

I didn't think the first impact was the X2 CME either but everyone said it was, protons are still rising, don't they usually start declining once the CME has hit unless there's more on the way?

It does happen. Actually going back to the previous cycle's strongest solar flare, the proton flux levels continued to rise for almost 4 hours after the CME's arrival. I can't say why. That CME was a little under 3 times faster to arrive though.

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mozy said:

We now have a delta with increasing shear, wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing some low grade M-flares soon.

How are you getting information about the shear? I've asked around in the past for any tools or imagery to better visualize this, but haven't found anything good so far. Are you looking at the field lines on the uncolorized m-gram? Or perhaps just going by the fact that the positive spot is "squeezed" in between the negative ones?

4 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

How are you getting information about the shear? I've asked around in the past for any tools or imagery to better visualize this, but haven't found anything good so far. Are you looking at the field lines on the uncolorized m-gram? Or perhaps just going by the fact that the positive spot is "squeezed" in between the negative ones?

From what I've learned, the closer the two umbraes of opposite polarities are, the more/better the shear, and they were getting closer & closer, but then one started to decay and nothing came out of it.

They were almost touching each other.

Edited by mozy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mozy said:

From what I've learned, the closer the two umbraes of opposite polarities are, the more/better the shear, and they were getting closer & closer, but then one started to decay and nothing came out of it.

They were almost touching each other.

Yeah, that's a reasonable proxy as far as I'm concerned too, but I'm not sure if it's always reliable; as you say, even when getting closer it can decay without much or any activity at all, which would indicate that the field lines aren't actually shearing that much.

That being said, I still see the positive umbra in this case. It's quite elongated as it sits squeezed between the negative spots, which I would also interpret as more shear. If you look at the PFSS of the uncolorized m-gram, you can see that at least the field lines of the negative region to the right of it are oriented towards the large positive spots (the delta highlighted in the red box):

Screenshot-48.png

Unfortunately this imagery is a bit chaotic, and I can't see any field line indications for the positive spot in the delta, but I can easily imagine that it's oriented towards the largest negative spots of the region (all the way to the left of the region, not pictured here), and thus that the field lines are essentially parallel to each other, i.e. having a lot of shear. Maybe that's reason to hope for some reconnection and subsequent activity there, but things are of course not always so simple...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Yeah, that's a reasonable proxy as far as I'm concerned too, but I'm not sure if it's always reliable; as you say, even when getting closer it can decay without much or any activity at all, which would indicate that the field lines aren't actually shearing that much.

That being said, I still see the positive umbra in this case. It's quite elongated as it sits squeezed between the negative spots, which I would also interpret as more shear. If you look at the PFSS of the uncolorized m-gram, you can see that at least the field lines of the negative region to the right of it are oriented towards the large positive spots (the delta highlighted in the red box):

Screenshot-48.png

Unfortunately this imagery is a bit chaotic, and I can't see any field line indications for the positive spot in the delta, but I can easily imagine that it's oriented towards the largest negative spots of the region (all the way to the left of the region, not pictured here), and thus that the field lines are essentially parallel to each other, i.e. having a lot of shear. Maybe that's reason to hope for some reconnection and subsequent activity there, but things are of course not always so simple...

I agree, I have seen several times that there definitely is more than just them being close to each other, some regions just pop constantly when they're touching and others don't do anything, I'm just going after what I've been told :D

Well this region is falling apart for now, still gotta keep an eye on that filament stretching out from the region.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Very nice eruption yes triggered by a filament that released.

2 minutes ago, mozy said:

It got triggered by the filament, nothing more to see here 😅

Yup, that would explain it. Didn’t notice the filament there.

• Like 1

...oh, that's a nice one from 3229, even when just an M3.7.
But a very slow decaying looks good...

Now the onehundred thousand dollar question is it:
- CME departing earth directed or
- CME departing again with a very steep angle upwards oder sindeways
for passing earth anew?