AR 13229, X2.28 flare!

MinYoongi
Go to solution Solved by arjemma,

1 hour ago, mozy said:

Protons are starting to rise so I assume it's getting closer now as we speak.

How long does it take from rise - impact ?

41 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Saw that with STEREO A last night (or early this morning), it is breaking through the CIR that is on its way.

is that good for auroral activity?

15 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Just guessing, it may have more of an impact on the shock arrival and the few hours following. No idea which direction things could go though. It may still be somewhere within the CIR or it may have passed the CIR.

I dont really understand that but uhm..thanks xD

1 hour ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

CME’s are always a waiting game. None of the predictions is spot on, there is always a gap of plus and minus 8 hours for the predicted arrival time. When it arrives you’ll see it in the data and then you’ll have approximately 40-60 minutes (depending on CME travel speed) when it hits the Earth. And even then it’s still not known what the direction of the IMF will do to even know if there will be a good display. Conclusion: wait and see when it arrives and then decide

With the way the EPAM rise is tapering off, I'm worried it missed.
But we saw a full halo, we should get at least something...

On 2/18/2023 at 7:44 PM, RajSim said:

AR 13229 magnetic classification is beta-delta; Can we hope for some fireworks in when its in a favorable position soon?  

Magnetic classification that includes delta certainly increases the probability of a strong flare.  Current probability of an X flare from AR13229 is 15%.  In approximately two more days AR13229 will be crossing the Sun's central meridian.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drax Spacex said:

Magnetic classification that includes delta certainly increases the probability of a strong flare.  Current probability of an X flare from AR13229 is 15%.  In approximately two more days AR13229 will be crossing the Sun's central meridian.  

The X2 was an amazing flare, but I’d like to see a wide and southerly CME right at the meridian!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

(Don't let the filaments do all the work)(it worked last time)

The EPAMp is on the move, an arrival may be within the next few hours.

Yep! but since the impact is way later than (I) anticipated i now go with G1-G2 at best too.