AR 13229, X2.28 flare!

MinYoongi
Go to solution Solved by arjemma,

26 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

I have seen it from Kiruna but its already far to my south where I have a hard time getting a uninterrupted view. Its also pretty cloudy now.

Horrible phone picture from half an hour ago when it was still overhead:

IMG_20230227_185115084.jpg

Its not horrible, thanks for sharing it with us :) 

Number of Sunspots in AR3229 curiously jumped from 7 on 20230226 to 53 on 20230227 as it's approaching the west limb.  Typo?

:Product: Solar Region Summary
:Issued: 2023 Feb 28 0030 UTC
I.  Regions with Sunspots.  Locations Valid at 27/2400Z 
Nmbr Location  Lo  Area  Z   LL   NN Mag Type
3229 N26W74   035  0040 Cso  02   53 Beta

3 hours ago, RajSim said:

It was a great spectacle at Yellowknife last night. Had to endure -28C. But, boy was it worth. Came here for the weekend and luck was on my side with back to back CMEs and clear skies. Thanks to this community for helping me learn and chase this mesmerizing feat of nature.
P.S compressed pic doesn’t do justice. Will share the time lapse link later.

image.thumb.jpeg.9d7cdc9b20bab9e2ae146c7aae454984.jpeg

Nice cameo by Luna and Orion to add to the composition!

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

Typo?

Has to be.

42 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

Nice cameo by Luna and Orion to add to the composition!

Great location of the sky for a shot like that. The entire Winter Triangle too, and I'm pretty sure that's Mars to the upper left of Luna as well.

• Thanks 1

@RajSimthanks for sharing that beautiful aurora photo, perfect composition. I’ve read that the green aspect of aurora is oxygen in the outer atmosphere, and pink and purple typically are nitrogen during stronger storms when more particles “intrude” below the 100 km mark where the concentration of nitrogen is higher?

I’ve seen and read about very colorful aurora this week w pink, red and even orange.

My only experience was a classic green with white bands seen from Massachusetts in 1989. I really want to do an aurora viewing trip to Alaska, Norway, Iceland…somewhere.

9 hours ago, Scott Winters said:

Thought you all might enjoy it. Any constructive feedback is appreciated, and I hope I have duly credited any and all sources in the video's I've made.

Looks great. Good idea to highlight the different events; as more active regions crop up in the future maybe you could show views at different wavelengths depending on what highlights the events the best, and keep an eye out for events that occur during the rotation that aren't necessarily related to the region you're following too. No idea if that would look better or detract from the style of the video, just throwing something out there since you asked.

Also, personal track recommendation for some future video of this sort.

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2023 at 7:46 AM, David Silver said:

@RajSimthanks for sharing that beautiful aurora photo, perfect composition. I’ve read that the green aspect of aurora is oxygen in the outer atmosphere, and pink and purple typically are nitrogen during stronger storms when more particles “intrude” below the 100 km mark where the concentration of nitrogen is higher?

I’ve seen and read about very colorful aurora this week w pink, red and even orange.

My only experience was a classic green with white bands seen from Massachusetts in 1989. I really want to do an aurora viewing trip to Alaska, Norway, Iceland…somewhere.

Thanks David. I have made few trips to Maine (Baxter State Park) when Kp5/6 is forecasted. I have seen a red streaks with green. But the one that was on display at Yellowknife had been the best. I wanted to see overhead and boy, was I lucky. I certainly would recommend Yellowknife, Fairbanks or Churchill, Abiska if you are planning as the probability of seeing one when you stay for 3+ nights is very high. Good Luck. 

• Like 1