AR 13229, X2.28 flare!

MinYoongi
Go to solution Solved by arjemma,

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

what do you think earth impact is because the iswa model confuses me it shows a full hit? how can that be?

As @Vancanneyt Sander said, it is a preliminary model run. Simple and not a lot of detail to it. The X2.2 CME model run did something similar, the CME aimed almost directly at SA in the run.

5 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

NASA is pumping out 950km/sec arrival and KP8 for tomorrow

No official predictions are out! Don’t overhype it. Predictions for yesterdays event is Kp5-Kp7. Much will depend what the IMF will do and what the other parameters are at arrival. 

official predictions will come out tomorrow during UTC hours when ALL data is available. 

• Like 2

Just now, Vancanneyt Sander said:

No official predictions are out! Don’t overhype it. Predictions for yesterdays event is Kp5-Kp7. Much will depend what the IMF will do and what the other parameters are at arrival. 

official predictions will come out tomorrow during UTC hours when ALL data is available. 

I dont try to overhype it and i know its not official yet, but its the NEWEST cme modelled 2 times shown as a full hit so ofc im gonna ask how they come to that conclusion 

5 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

what do you think earth impact is because the iswa model confuses me it shows a full hit? how can that be?

Not much, unless you are close enough to the poles that you can see the aurora, you probably won't even notice a CME, the only way that I have ever been affected by a CME was when I was so anxious that I couldn't sleep (yes that  really happened), so don't worry. 

• Like 1

Just now, No pseudoscience said:

Not much, unless you are close enough to the poles that you can see the aurora, you probably won't even notice a CME, the only way that I have ever been affected by a CME was when I was so anxious that I couldn't sleep (yes that  really happened), so don't worry. 

Thank you for the comment but that wasnt my question, i may worded it wrong!  Sorry :) 

I was asking how much of an earth directed portion this CME really has.

12 minutes ago, No pseudoscience said:

I don't think anyone currently present in this thread actually worries about any detrimental impacts of these small CMEs to society or the individual. This is more about predicting and assessing the impact for both scientific reasons and for those who are avid seekers of the aurora; you'll find that there are actually quite a lot of them here.

Edited by Philalethes Bythos

1 minute ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

I don't think anyone currently present in this thread actually worries about any detrimental impacts of these small CMEs to society or the individual. This is more about assessing the impact for both scientific reasons and for those who are avid seekers of the aurora; you'll find that there are actually quite a lot of them here.

I misunderstood a question, which i quote in my comment 

6 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

I don't think anyone currently present in this thread actually worries about any detrimental impacts of these small CMEs to society or the individual. This is more about predicting and assessing the impact for both scientific reasons and for those who are avid seekers of the aurora; you'll find that there are actually quite a lot of them here.

Well i agree but i'm a bit baffled by the Nasa Enlil still. Kp8-9 and a FULL hit? im just seeking answers but im impatient :D

Note : I dont know how true this is because data is still crucial.

some dont even agree on yesterdays CME arriving

11 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Well i agree but i'm a bit baffled by the Nasa Enlil still. Kp8-9 and a FULL hit? im just seeking answers but im impatient :D

Note : I dont know how true this is because data is still crucial.

some dont even agree on yesterdays CME arriving

I am anxious and impatient as well with wide range of forecasts. I decided to fly over to Yellowknife, Canada to witness Aurora overhead and got exited with M4 and M6 flares. I am here for couple of more days and praying that we have a decent hit. 

There are images from LASCO now but there is a gap in the data so far (will probably come later and then we will get a better view). The latest images suggests that we will be hit and it looks more directly on than the CME from yesterday.

We need to have patient and wait for the full images from LASCO so we have the whole picture though. SOHO is old and because of some malfunction it can't send images back to earth in full time. We will know more tomorrow but it's really interesting indeed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, arjemma said:

There are images from LASCO now but there is a gap in the data so far (will probably come later and then we will get a better view). The latest images suggests that we will be hit and it looks more directly on than the CME from yesterday.

We need to have patient and wait for the full images from LASCO so we have the whole picture though. SOHO is old and because of some malfunction it can't send images back to earth in full time. We will know more tomorrow but it's really interesting indeed.

No update in Lasco on the SWPC Website yet :( Sadly cant find anything where the newer frames are shown.

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

No update in Lasco on the SWPC Website yet :( Sadly cant find anything where the newer frames are shown.

This is the layout on ISWA I'm using which usually have the latest. Posting it here so everyone can find it easily: https://iswa.ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/IswaSystemWebApp/index.jsp?i_1=205&l_1=17&t_1=839&w_1=500&h_1=500&s_1=0_0_10_3&i_2=554&l_2=521&t_2=838&w_2=500&h_2=510&s_2=0_0_10_3&i_3=14&l_3=519&t_3=336&w_3=500&h_3=500&s_3=0_0_10_3&i_4=15&l_4=17&t_4=336&w_4=500&h_4=500&s_4=0_0_10_3

I also have a layout for WSA-ENLIL from NASA if anyone is interested: https://iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov/IswaSystemWebApp/index.jsp?i_1=700&l_1=38&t_1=356&w_1=650&h_1=450&s_1=1&i_2=698&l_2=692&t_2=356&w_2=650&h_2=450&s_2=1_0_0

I would suggest bookmarking them, they are really nice to have and it's fast and easy access.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, arjemma said:

Interesting. From SUVI it hardly looks eruptive to me at all, but apparently appearances can be deceiving (it's not its primary purpose after all).

And yeah, poor old SOHO; I saw Scott and someone else call for a new fleet of SOHOs in orbit around Sol on Twitter, that would be something.

Edited by Philalethes Bythos
typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jesterface23 said:

Both CMEs seem to be right near the spot of being either a glancing blow or a edge of the main bulk at L1. STEREO A with a glancing blow for both.

Yea I agree with glancing blow but looks like there might be some flux rope hitting us than from the CME yesterday. It will be a bit easier to tell when we have more imaging so we can measure and check the running difference of the whole thing.

• Thanks 1