AR 13229, X2.28 flare!

MinYoongi
Go to solution Solved by arjemma,

6 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

The Flux is descending very slow.

does that mean the region is still "entangled" or is it just like an "afterglow" after a powerful flare happened? I always wondered that.

After effects of a long duration flare with a cme associated tends to do that.

Edited by mozy

33 minutes ago, No pseudoscience said:

Wait, I thought that eruptive  Meant short duration, what's the difference between the two?

No, it's typically the other way around. It's not an exact correlation, but more eruptive flares tend to be longer in duration rather than shorter; conversely, the shortest flares tend to not be eruptive. However, it's worth noting that while typically associated, duration and eruptivity refer to different things, the former referring to the duration of the flare itself in terms of X-ray flux, and the latter referring to the presence and strength of a CME.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

No, it's typically the other way around. It's not an exact correlation, but more eruptive flares tend to be longer in duration rather than shorter; conversely, the shortest flares tend to not be eruptive. However, it's worth noting that while typically associated, duration and eruptivity refer to different things, the former referring to the duration of the flare itself in terms of X-ray flux, and the latter referring to the presence and strength of a CME.

Oh ok

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Yeah i basically think the same. here say say it has an earth directed component. do they mean the shock?

Most likely y, even if it doesn't hit earth at all I'm just happy we're starting to see bigger eruptions lol

Edited by mozy

Really nice eruption with nice coronal waves and STEREO A shows full halo CME although the most of the ejecta going upwards. Will be interesting to see LASCO images but it does look like it might have an earth directed component even if the most of it seems to miss us. I'm so impatient for LASCO now... 🙄

• Like 1

I don't think that this eruption has an Earth-directed component. STEREO shows the bulk of the erupted material heading west, with only a weak halo. Also there has been no increase in high energy protons or in EPAM electrons. Hopefully, this rather unassuming region can produce another surprise as it rotates into a better Earth-facing position.