Region 3576

Jesterface23

1 hour ago, tniickck said:

would you believe me if i told you that in Oct 2014 there was a long duration X4.5 (flux level was above X1 more than 1.5 hours) and there was absolutely nothing in terms of cme? 😁

and this cycle we had a lot of impulsive X-flares including X2.25 with no cme

i didnt know about that event but yeh thats why i got a thing for filaments right now.. theyre more often the money shots imo
tho i think this spot is a goodun for sure, i have faith :)

Edited by cheebee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

Doesn't look like it. Just the smaller one before this flare, which it's hard to say where originated (coincided with a smaller flare from this region, but if it originated there it must have been ejected at an odd angle).

Looks like the smaller one originated from this area with opposite polarities but no shared penumbra, yet almost M1

Capturedecran2024-02-08a16_29_33.png.8ceac395ae736b9b8d802fabc23793d7.png

Are there some other hints than delta spots to inform about flare probability? I often hear about complexity, but is there a more specific understanding?

Also do you sometimes notice simultaneous flares from (very) distant regions? Is there any understanding about how distant regions may be connected/influenced? Through shockwaves? or internally?

• Like 1

i saw someone mentioning earlier in this thread that you can tell the strength of a spot according to the brightness of a spot shown on a colored magnetogram. is it true? darker red/blue spots = stronger negative/positive spots? if so, the biggest delta in this sunspot group looking good?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, willow said:

i saw someone mentioning earlier in this thread that you can tell the strength of a spot according to the brightness of a spot shown on a colored magnetogram. is it true? darker red/blue spots = stronger negative/positive spots? if so, the biggest delta in this sunspot group looking good?

yep, thats how it works. there was a linked chart here somewhere.. i lost it :D 

M flare

1 hour ago, willow said:

The darker color does mean the magnetic field is stronger there (in the direction facing us), but even when quite dark that doesn't always mean there's necessarily a significant spot there; for example, mozy did mention earlier that the other delta where the positive spot was squeezed in between the negative spots oddly enough didn't seem to have the drop in intensity that is what we typically refer to as sunspots, so it's not always clear from the magnetograms exactly what's going on in the most complex regions.

The current delta doesn't look that impressive, but it's still solid. Judging by the flaring lately, with weaker and weaker impulsive flares, it doesn't look like it's going to erupt anytime soon, but we've been surprised before.

21 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

there was a linked chart here somewhere.. i lost it :D 

This one, presumably; it's linked to from the info button in the corner of the colored magnetogram on the SDO data page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spaceweather dot com has a really cool pic up right now that shows flow over the main spot earlier ( the positive intruding finger)  It’s worth a look.  Pretty awesome imho.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
Polarity confusion
  • Like 2
  • Cool 2

6 hours ago, Hector the Convector said:

That's a little confusing, I would have guessed red to be positive. So, would I be correct in saying that red represents negative "poles", so places where magnetic lines go into the Sun?

I agree that it's an odd convention given how the standard is to paint the north pole of a bar magnet red, i.e. where the field lines exit the magnet's surface; you are correct that it's the other way around in the case of the colored magnetogram, where red denotes the places where the field lines enter the Solar surface, which would typically be colored blue on a bar magnet. Thus the red areas are indeed referred to as "negative" or "inward", while the blue areas are referred to as "positive" or "outward".

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Nathan Majors said:

What was the poilaty confusion

I had originally misidentified the polarity of the intruding “ finger”. That weird blue thing that bugged all of us.   Corrected on my edit 

Edited by hamateur 1953

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

The darker color does mean the magnetic field is stronger there (in the direction facing us), but even when quite dark that doesn't always mean there's necessarily a significant spot there; for example, mozy did mention earlier that the other delta where the positive spot was squeezed in between the negative spots oddly enough didn't seem to have the drop in intensity that is what we typically refer to as sunspots, so it's not always clear from the magnetograms exactly what's going on in the most complex regions.

The current delta doesn't look that impressive, but it's still solid. Judging by the flaring lately, with weaker and weaker impulsive flares, it doesn't look like it's going to erupt anytime soon, but we've been surprised before.

This one, presumably; it's linked to from the info button in the corner of the colored magnetogram on the SDO data page.

thank you so much for an explanation!

37 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I had originally misidentified the polarity of the intruding “ finger”. That weird blue thing that bugged all of us.   Corrected on my edit 

By the way. Negative being red is the convention here.  I wouldn’t use this convention when using automobile jumper cables…. 

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

the delta is decaying i think @Philalethes @mozy @tniickck (of course this does not mean the region is boring or a new one cant form) 

Yh, looking worse sadly, we need new positive flux to emerge or It'll keep killing itself

Edited by mozy