CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

Region 3576

Jesterface23

48 minutes ago, Miles said:

What do you all think? Does this region really pose an X class risk?

I doubt it, but it's an understandable probability given its history. I also wouldn't call it a risk, since it'd be great if it were to happen, heh.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mozy said:

How slow is your SUVI lol, I saw it 15 min ago already

Right now its on 23.33 UTC and i can see its from the limb. is this region flaring at the same time though? (altough does not look like an M flare)

2 minutes ago, Tomasz Mielec said:

So it is much stronger then M class fire.

I'd say mid to upper M at most, It's not that far behind.

Edited by mozy
  • Like 1

I would say this was a massive flare especially as how quickly S1 came into play.

The ratio on the GOES X-ray flux chart peaked at 0.299, I can’t recall seeing a larger ratio, though I’m sure there have been. It’s falling now which tells me the flare is tailing off but still a noteworthy flare. M3.9 just now.

N.

Edited by Newbie
  • Cool 2

1 minute ago, Newbie said:

I would say this was a massive flare.

The ratio on the GOES X-ray flux chart peaked at 0.299, I can’t recall seeing a larger ratio, though I’m sure there have been. It’s falling now which tells me the flare is tailing off but still a noteworthy flare. M3.9 just now.

N.

What exactly does the ratio say about a flare? I always thought it was rather insignificant and showed how quickly a flare rose or something else.

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

what? o.o 

Its simple whe regions goes behind the limb GOES dont show really powerfull flares, If You see on GOES M5 its could be even X5

And I'm sure it was X flare but i haven dont idea what its it was

3 minutes ago, willow said:

looks really impressive on the SDO image

Yep its look like X5+

Edited by Tomasz Mielec
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

What exactly does the ratio say about a flare? I always thought it was rather insignificant and showed how quickly a flare rose or something else.

The ratio displayed on the GOES X-ray flux chart typically refers to the classification of solar flares based on their peak X-ray flux intensity. This ratio is known as the "flare class ratio" and represents the classification of the most intense solar flare observed within a specific time period.

Solar flares are classified into different categories based on their peak X-ray flux intensity.

The ratio displayed on the GOES X-ray flux chart represents the relative intensity of the most significant solar flare observed within a specific time period compared to the background X-ray flux level.

Therefore the higher the ratio the more intense the flare and as the ratio increases the flare intensity is increasing the converse is true as ratio decreases the flare’s intensity is tailing back.

N.

• Like 2