Region 3576

Jesterface23

16 hours ago, Philalethes said:

That's a magnetogram, and it shows measurements of the magnetic field near the surface; that one in particular is the colorized one, where the red and orange parts represent negative magnetic polarity and the blue and green parts represent positive magnetic polarity.

That's a little confusing, I would have guessed red to be positive. So, would I be correct in saying that red represents negative "poles", so places where magnetic lines go into the Sun?

3 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Doesn't look like it. Just the smaller one before this flare, which it's hard to say where originated (coincided with a smaller flare from this region, but if it originated there it must have been ejected at an odd angle).

Is is really possible for a long m3 flare to be without cme? have you seen that before? I cant make out any dimming

7 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Is is really possible for a long m3 flare to be without cme? have you seen that before?

Yes, there have been long duration X flares with no cme. Long lasting flares are more likely to produce a cme, but it is not guaranteed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Is is really possible for a long m3 flare to be without cme? have you seen that before? I cant make out any dimming

I'm pretty sure I've seen similar a few times this cycle already. No ejecta or dimming that I can see either, so I doubt there was any CME.

9 minutes ago, tniickck said:

would you believe me if i told you that in Oct 2014 there was a long duration X4.5 (flux level was above X1 more than 1.5 hours) and there was absolutely nothing in terms of cme? 😁

and this cycle we had a lot of impulsive X-flares including X2.25 with no cme

That's crazy...

1 hour ago, Justanerd said:

The GOES SUVI 195 Angstrom loop shows a pretty good shockwave (for such a minor flare) spreading northward as well as some ejecta - wish I knew how to screenshot a video

If you're using Windows, pause the video on the frame you want to capture and use Snipping Tool. It's built in. Assuming you're using windows 10 or 11, just click the windows icon on the task bar or hit the windows key, type "snip" and you should see it. Once you start the app, click "New", drag a box around what you want to snip and the rest is pretty intuitive.

Edited by cgrant26
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

btw @Philalethes heres the CME from the C flare before. do you think theres some earth directed ejecta? it shoots straight northward so i thought i ask.

It does look like it's launching northward from that flare, but it's hard to tell exactly what the angle is. Will have to see LASCO imagery.

• Like 1