Region 3576

Jesterface23

Hey @tniickck  solar soft shows ten M class out of the last twenty. Amazing. And I suspect it may continue through tomorrow too.  I think 9393 holds the all time record at 48 total or close.  Gonna check   Nope,  9393 only spit out 34 total m class. We might have had a more productive one but I don’t know of one offhand. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
History check
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Maciej Dunst said:

Good morning,

could somebody explain why are these two ARs assigned as alfa magnetic class? Is this some bug or what? 

It’s because of foreshortening so a magnetic class can’t be 100% determined yet. It’s too early.

• Like 2

I have also seen this sometimes for only a brief period when previously a bgd or something else.  It gets corrected within an hour or so.  Perhaps the data is being revised and its a placeholder or something akin to when we just see the leading spot on the east limb….   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im still confused with this portion of the Region (marked in green) cb569d6f75eb2188a7c3413c20496bad.png

When using the new function (slider)  ((thanks @Philalethes for reminding me!)) it does not match up to anything on the magnetogram really. I think theres more foreshortening going on with them in respect to the intensigram. its always frustrating to wait for that to match up :D Especially when trying to determine if theres a gamma, or only a beta delta etc. but my consensus from what @Marcel de Bont and others said yesterday, the rightmost sunspot in my marked green box seems to be the delta. :D  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

Im still confused with this portion of the Region (marked in green) cb569d6f75eb2188a7c3413c20496bad.png

When using the new function (slider)  ((thanks @Philalethes for reminding me!)) it does not match up to anything on the magnetogram really. I think theres more foreshortening going on with them in respect to the intensigram. its always frustrating to wait for that to match up :D Especially when trying to determine if theres a gamma, or only a beta delta etc. but my consensus from what @Marcel de Bont and others said yesterday, the rightmost sunspot in my marked green box seems to be the delta. :D  

i could try to edit the magnetogram image so that it can be determined:

Screenshot 2024-02-05 134148.jpg

Edited by Solar_Marcel

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

It's not 100% clear, but I'm pretty sure at this point that the middle of those three spots to the right inside the green box is a positive spot wedged in between the other negative ones, so yeah, that would probably be the delta.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

It's not 100% clear, but I'm pretty sure at this point that the middle of those three spots to the right inside the green box is a positive spot wedged in between the other negative ones, so yeah, that would probably be the delta.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. It would certainly account for the high activity without self-destruction like we see all too often!! Haha. 

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

The blue circled area seems like the clear one. The red circled area almost looks like a strong positive polarity spot, but not sure at this point

image.thumb.jpeg.ef73fcb6218c1aa8d7e85a8bbb810fe0.jpeg

I'm fairly sure the top one is a negative one. The field boundaries are matching up better with the intensitygrams now, and looks like this:

imageedit-3-8819151085.gif

It's hugged by positive penumbra on the left, but it would surprise me if the spot itself is somehow positive.

From what I can tell the positive spot in between there is essentially forming a delta with all the surrounding negative ones.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

I'm fairly sure the top one is a negative one. The field boundaries are matching up better with the intensitygrams now, and looks like this:

imageedit-3-8819151085.gif

It's hugged by positive penumbra on the left, but it would surprise me if the spot itself is somehow positive.

From what I can tell the positive spot in between there is essentially forming a delta with all the surrounding negative ones.

I sort of had a duh moment. I was just looking at imagery from ever 30 minutes instead of imagery once or twice a minute. I am fairly certain now it is one of those very strong polarity spots.

The polarity of the spot is a little bit confusing right now though I guess. Either it is a negative polarity spot, or it is a positive polarity spot with negative spots on the north side of it.

55 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Looking back at stats of the previous strongest spots of the cycle in the southern disk, they do look to have been negative polarity

Nice...
But why is that like that? Is there some kind of mechanism that negative spots tend to be stronger overall or what causes that? So many questions i know, but i also wanna know more about that so ill have to ask people who might know😅

• Like 2

This region sure is confusing me, the positive that's crammed inbetween looks even stronger now on the magnetogram but still barely show up as anything on the intensitygram.

22f696c53cf0b523aa5bc748d19d7817.png

Edited by mozy
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, mozy said:

This region sure is confusing me, the positive that's crammed inbetween looks even stronger now on the magnetogram but still barely show up as anything on the intensitygram.

Yeah, that one is pretty crazy. On edit, I'm starting to doubt which part goes to which on the magnetogram.

deltaforce.JPG

Edited by cgrant26
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mozy said:

26 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

Yeah, that one is pretty crazy. On edit, I'm starting to doubt which part goes to which on the magnetogram.

deltaforce.JPG

yes, i have the exacte same problem. thats why i dont know where the delta is.

any explanations/ideas? 😕 

9 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

yes, i have the exacte same problem. thats why i dont know where the delta is.

any explanations/ideas? 😕 

Well that is the delta, but for some reason It's not showing up that well on the intensitygram

Edit: It could be one of these situations we've talked about before that after a bigger flare has occurred suddenly the delta can be seen much more/look bigger, would be cool to see if that happens again.

Edited by mozy