AR 3536

Solar_Marcel
Go to solution Solved by Calder,

11 hours ago, tniickck said:

it is actually decaying. it was classified as b-g-d because it rotated further so we can correctly identify it's complexity

I also think the same but noaa did still give it 20% for an X but maybe because of its history? I compared sdo imagery and it does look to be less complex to me. I’d like to hear your guys opinions.:)

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

I also think the same but noaa did still give it 20% for an X but maybe because of its history? I compared sdo imagery and it does look to be less complex to me. I’d like to hear your guys opinions.:)

Given its history and the weird vertical magnetic field it has, perhaps it's more complex than we think 

1 minute ago, Landon Moeller said:

One thing to watch closely is that over the past 12 hours, the positive polarity penumbra has begun digging deeper into the negative penumbra. This may better define any potential delta signature on the north side of the group moving forward.

https://ibb.co/cNwCYH0

It hasnt really, you cant only look at the Magnetograms. If you look at the Sunspots, the penumbras actually separated from each other.

now: b37c9edbdf9b2aaace70b16a579011ad.png

Earlier: 04c593f22ae4b0d8131f2def1f50ff19.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

It hasnt really, you cant only look at the Magnetograms. If you look at the Sunspots, the penumbras actually separated from each other.

now: b37c9edbdf9b2aaace70b16a579011ad.png

Earlier: 04c593f22ae4b0d8131f2def1f50ff19.png

What I’m saying is the polarities have come closer together. But the intensity of the penumbra has certainly become less, specifically the positive penumbra

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

What I’m saying is the polarities have come closer together. But the intensity of the penumbra has certainly become less, specifically the positive penumbra

i dont understand noaas process of assigning flare probabilities. The region is distancing in penumbra thus resulting in less flares and shear, why did they put 25% for an X? 06:00UTC was 20%.

And yeah, i get what youre saying. but i dont know if it really affects the flareability. would be cool to know though :D 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

i dont understand noaas process of assigning flare probabilities. The region is distancing in penumbra thus resulting in less flares and shear, why did they put 25% for an X? 06:00UTC was 20%.

I am not entirely sure, but I think it’s mainly based on history.

• Like 1

@MinYoongi.   Unfortunately it seems as though you seem to be correct. Unless somehow you have the order of those two shots in reverse which is unlikely, I think.  It has a few days to regenerate, however and it would be nice, of course to see another X this transit!! 

14 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

And yeah, i get what youre saying. but i dont know if it really affects the flareability. would be cool to know though :D 

59 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

They always do this with every region and It's frustrating as heck, they need to start updating them way more often since regions change so fast, how It's being done now often leads up to "misinformation".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mozy said:

They always do this with every region and It's frustrating as heck, they need to start updating them way more often since regions change so fast, how It's being done now often leads up to "misinformation".

it got updated twice today, but im still confused.

11 hours ago, mozy said:

Updated again - kept the old probabilities and didn’t change them a millimeter.

11 hours ago, libmar96 said:

That's typical. The X-flare probability when it occurs is usually 1%, then SW increases it to 10-40%, but the sunspot gets quiet forever :P

there is a delta now 

X5 flare seems to have launched a big amount of charged particles into space and now they fly to earth by Parker's spiral so we are close to S1 storm

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

May I ask where? I don’t see a new one but I’m a bit late

Right in the middle here:

latest.gif

Not a very clear umbral core for the positive part, but I'd say that definitely counts as a delta still; it's probably going to flare some more at some point, but at this point I expect it to just be impulsive as it keeps breaking apart.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Right in the middle here:

latest.gif

Not a very clear umbral core for the positive part, but I'd say that definitely counts as a delta still; it's probably going to flare some more at some point, but at this point I expect it to just be impulsive as it keeps breaking apart.

Thanks for the gif! Ah, why breaking apart? Is it decaying overall? I’m not updated haha :)  can you maybe shoot me the link for the gifs again by the way? I got a new Desktop and did not import my bookmarks.