AR 3536

Solar_Marcel
Go to solution Solved by Calder,

Excuse the ignorant question, I'm still trying to understand when the solar flares have a earth directed CME

I'm a total noob. 

I'm looking at the picture and I see a x shaped cross from the flare, does that mean it will have an earth directed CME

Is it impossible to have an earth directed CME when it's at 90 degrees like it's at now? 

Does anyone have some links to some reading material for us that are intellectually challenged to help understand the pictures? 

I'm mostly trying to understand as I'm located in Iceland and I love to see the Auroras when they are strong. 

7 minutes ago, mozy said:

Highly eruptive too, I wonder if an earth directed component could be possible just looking at SUVI, literally blasting everywhere

Yeah, same; the shockwave in the 195 Å imagery is impressive, reaches quite a bit towards the center of the disc.

1 minute ago, tniickck said:

i wonder if proton event is possible

It's interesting, I was just checking it, and the >= 10 MeV protons seem to have been rising since earlier today; some eruption from beyond the other limb perhaps? I also saw a filament eruption when checking earlier, but I doubt it was that.

8 minutes ago, mozy said:

Highly eruptive too, I wonder if an earth directed component could be possible just looking at SUVI, literally blasting everywhere

Well how was it with similar flares / eruptions before ? Do you have any situations where you could compare ?

1 minuut geleden, SpaceWeather5464 zei:

That CME is WIDE looking at Goes SUVI 195 looks like it might reach us. This flare reminds me of another X5 that happened on March 7, 2012 it was also wide.

Seems very impressive indeed. But it’s on the wrong limb to have impact I’m guessing due to the Parker spiral effect but you never know. 

IMG_4374.jpeg

9 minuten geleden, tniickck zei:

i wonder if proton event is possible

It’s possible, strong events (and even backsided ones) can do this but the odds are somewhat lower because of the location but still

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kolbeinn Helgi Kristjánsson said:

I'm looking at the picture and I see a x shaped cross from the flare, does that mean it will have an earth directed CME

Is it impossible to have an earth directed CME when it's at 90 degrees like it's at now? 

That just has to do with the flare. We will need to wait on SOHO's coronagraph imagery to see how much of an Earth directed component the CME that was launched from the flare has.

We have taken impacts from CMEs from the far side near the limb before, so crazier things have happened. They don't lead to the best impacts though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solar_Marcel said:

Do you mean an SPE (Solar particle event) or do you mean an Radiation Storm?

Because i can´t remember what a proton event is lol

As far as I know that all refers to the same thing, as per this Wikipedia article too:

[...] a solar particle event (SPE), also known as a solar energetic particle (SEP) event or solar radiation storm, [...]

And yeah, that's what we colloquially call a proton event or proton storm too. I don't think it's ideally placed for protons to be hitting us immediately, but if it really is a wide blast we could start to see some within the hour.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Philalethes said:

As far as I know that all refers to the same thing, as per this Wikipedia article too:

And yeah, that's what we colloquially call a proton event or proton storm too. I don't think it's ideally placed for protons to be hitting us immediately, but if it really is a wide blast we could start to see some within the hour.

Thanks! Sometimes i get things mixed up, because i´m not a native english speaker😂

13 minutes ago, SpaceWeather5464 said:

That CME is WIDE looking at Goes SUVI 195 looks like it might reach us. This flare reminds me of another X5 that happened on March 7, 2012 it was also wide.

oof that old one was extremely fast and impressive 

13 minutes ago, SpaceWeather5464 said:

lmao i ran out of reactions

Edited by tniickck
  • Like 1

Fast eruption, too.

STEREO A and LASCO will no doubt be impressive once that coronagraph imagery becomes available.

There should be a radio blackout in progress right now.  I checked my radio and above 7MHz seems OK.  But the 80m band is not good.  I could barely copy a ham on 3.948MHz say, "The band right now is terrible!".

https://ibb.co/zs3Xb7j

https://ibb.co/7WNJ0H3

Edited by Drax Spacex
Non-Drake D-RAP
  • Haha 1