AR 3536

Solar_Marcel
Go to solution Solved by Calder,

6 hours ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Nasa did a weird model run but I think it’s the shock run.

4 hours ago, Landon Moeller said:

Lol. This is the first time I’ve ever seen KP 10 show up at the top of the scale on the model. This is clearly an overestimation of the Earth directed component which is moving much slower than the bulk

https://iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov/iswa_data_tree/model/heliosphere/wsa-enlil-cone/KP/2023/12/20231231_231700_2.0_ENLIL_CONE_Kp_timeline.gif

Ah, did they model it all to be the same speed? I’m confused with this run and kp estimate

The region keeps going; this is definitely one of the most productive regions we've seen in a while already. It's interesting that it doesn't look that complex yet, but there's still not a very clear view of it; it does look to be a bit weirdly oriented though, and maybe there are still some spots beyond the limb that we don't see yet.

• Like 4

Another Mid M class flare :) 

6 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

The region keeps going; this is definitely one of the most productive regions we've seen in a while already. It's interesting that it doesn't look that complex yet, but there's still not a very clear view of it; it does look to be a bit weirdly oriented though, and maybe there are still some spots beyond the limb that we don't see yet.

Yeah I wondered about that also. I do believe this is due to the limb proximity resulting in the magnetic maps not lining up perfectly or something. Sadly can’t tell for sure when that’s not the case anymore.

7 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Agreed @Philalethes  I was just looking at stonyhurst projections and it is hot all along latitudes until 30 degrees at least presently. 

„The partial-halo signature is currently being analyzed and modeled to determine the trajectory and timing of any Earth-directed component.„

from noaas forecast discussion. I’m just confused about nasas model and kp prediction but I think it’s just a model / overcast.. I think @Marcel de Bont earlier posted likely no earth effects and @Jesterface23 agreed to a glancing encounter. I tend to agree that we will see a shock arrive :) 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Yes in addition to the delta magnetic configuration, the diagonal north/south orientation of group does seem to be contributing to its activity.  That's where we see the flare connections occurring.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

M flare now

13 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

Yes in addition to the delta magnetic configuration, the diagonal north/south orientation of group does seem to be contributing to its activity.  That's where we see the flare connections occurring.

Ah, so the delta is in the northern portion of the region? (I’m not at home and sadly can’t post a picture ) 

53 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

Also looks to be possibly some small new development in the past 12 hours in the leader portion of 3536. https://ibb.co/0f1F7mQ

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

A better side view of the eastern spots this afternoon as well.

image.thumb.jpeg.b77cf922e974cb09d0e7fd0e677e9ca5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4f74cb9299d430922885ecd733f86d43.jpeg

Really unusual AR.  Definitely and sure correlates with the unusual Stonyhurst zero to twenty five n latitude spread I have been watching develop over last two days.  Off topic a bit but weren’t you @Jesterface23 and @3gMike theorising about certain latitudes being more active in general than others a while ago?  

2 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Really unusual AR.  Definitely and sure correlates with the unusual Stonyhurst zero to twenty five n latitude spread I have been watching develop over last two days.  Off topic a bit but weren’t you @Jesterface23 and @3gMike theorising about certain latitudes being more active in general than others a while ago?  

What’s a stoneyhurst 0-25

? I’m sorry it’s the first time hearing the term 🙈

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

What’s a stoneyhurst 0-25

? I’m sorry it’s the first time hearing the term 🙈

The Stonyhurst heliographic coordinate system is just the same coordinate system being used here on the site for spots, where 0° of longitude is placed at the central meridian of the visible disc at any given point in time, so spots will change from 90E down to 0 and then to 90W as they move along from one limb to the other.

In contrast the Carrington heliographic coordinate system has fixed longitudes, i.e. the region as shown in the synoptic map I posted on one of the previous pages is near ~140-150° of longitude in that system regardless of where it is on the visible disc, as the entire coordinate system rotates along with the Carrington rotations.

• Thanks 2

Well, guess I thought I was fully awake. Ha ha obviously I intended to type longitudes. But oh well.  I called Stonyhurst a “ Green Screen” last time to everyones dismay.  I’m getting my coffee first BEFORE posting next time…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The SWPC is going very early with the CME arrival.

Yeah, Nasa goes with 2nd 18utc 

did noa give a Kp estimation as well? 
as usual, nasa and noaa differ in models.. usually nasa‘s runs are the ones with faster arrivals 😃 funny

I wonder why the run is from 10UTC though and they did not mention it in their forecast @Jesterface23. Was it published around 10UTC already ? Or only recently ?

16 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

None yet. Unless they re-run, my best guess is they will probably issue a G3 watch. G4 might be pushing it a bit too far.

Mh, okay. So multiple runs by Nasa and others suggest Kp4-5 with a shock arrival, but for some reason as @Landon Moeller pointed out on his Twitter, Noaa modelled the fastest portion of the CME to be earth directed which is not supported by Coronagraph imagery. (I cant verify this, i suck at lasco)

37 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Mh, okay. So multiple runs by Nasa and others suggest Kp4-5 with a shock arrival, but for some reason as @Landon Moeller pointed out on his Twitter, Noaa modelled the fastest portion of the CME to be earth directed which is not supported by Coronagraph imagery. (I cant verify this, i suck at lasco

Yeah, looking at coronagraph imagery, he is right. The part of the CME directed towards us is slower than the rest that will go east. Unless there is something very subtle that I can’t see, NOAA is wrong with their run.