AR 3536

Solar_Marcel
Go to solution Solved by Calder,

4 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Flare class doesn't go hand in hand with CME impacts.

Yeah but the X5 CME seemed really strong and not something we want hitting us directly 

Edited by Fishaxolotl

3 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

They're flux ropes and they are the reason for the Sun's largest CMEs.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/11180

as far as im concerned flux ropes are always responsible for flares/cmes atleast theyre not something spectaculary rare always tied to strong events. i could be wrong but thats what i believed up until now.

7 minutes ago, Fishaxolotl said:

Yeah but the X5 CME seemed really strong and not something we want hitting us directly 

We could easily take the hit. Going out on a limb, it may have been slightly slower than the two 2003 Halloween CMEs.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Fishaxolotl said:

I sure do! I'm in ohio so I need a kp7+ to see anything. I think the last time there was a sighting here was 2003 halloween and I missed it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jesterface23 said:

Some CMEs you see release near the surface in the solar imagery and some are higher above where we can't see them.

learning something new from you every day 😎 

3 minutes ago, Fishaxolotl said:

Well, that's definitely not the prevailing sentiment here, since most of us would love for nothing more than to get a solid hit from a powerful CME.

6 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

They're flux ropes and they are the reason for the Sun's largest CMEs.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/11180

Flux ropes can be seen pretty much all over the surface, at least during maximum. They're called coronal loops when smoother and closer to the surface, and prominences/filaments when higher up in the corona and not as smooth; and when they've been launched and gone interplanetary they're sometimes referred to as magnetic clouds, although colloquially they're just called flux ropes in that context.

Well, I guess the smaller coronal loops are actually just flux tubes since they're not so twisty, but hopefully you get the gist.

• Like 3

hey @Philalethes, mozy said the region is breaking up/apart or something. like the penumbra are breaking away from each other, whats your opinion? im not too sure, been watching it for the last couple hours. i dont wanna make false assumptions because we just got a long flare.

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

hey @Philalethes, mozy said the region is breaking up/apart or something. like the penumbra are breaking away from each other, whats your opinion? im not too sure, been watching it for the last couple hours. i dont wanna make false assumptions because we just got a long flare.

It doesn't look great. Keeps decaying and breaking apart, especially now with the long flare releasing so much energy. There's still some complexity there though, so I'm still guessing we might see some more flares  before it dies, but unless it starts develops more complexity I don't think we'll see anything eruptive anytime soon.

I guess this is over for now though, off to play the waiting game.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

It doesn't look great. Keeps decaying and breaking apart,

Hm..I thought the blue ( for ducks sake i cant tell anymore whats positive and whats negative!! :D ) was gaining spots/getting bigger. but it seems like its going away from the more intense red parts, and they seem to be weakening too.

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Hm..I thought the blue ( for ducks sake i cant tell anymore whats positive and whats negative!! :D ) was gaining spots/getting bigger. but it seems like its going away from the more intense red parts, and they seem to be weakening too.

Blue is positive and red is negative

The red color indicates sunspots or areas with a negative polarity and the blue color indicates areas with positive polarity sunspots.
https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/help/the-magnetic-classification-of-sunspots.html

3 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

thats very helpful. thank you!

55 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Haha :lol:

3 hours ago, Jay-B said:

I sure do! I'm in ohio so I need a kp7+ to see anything. I think the last time there was a sighting here was 2003 halloween and I missed it

I slept through it!!! Only after telephoning my old friends and telling them that they might see something, being as they were over a mountain pass and away from Seattle glow.  It woke them up it was soooo bright at our latitude.  Kp8 for me or I’m stayin home this cycle @Jay-Bhahaha!!  Btw check out the Halloween Storms video available here ifya haven’t yet.  Awesome 

Edited by hamateur 1953

5 hours ago, LunarLights58 said:

What do you think about SWPC/NOAA saying there are 175 >X1's and 8 >X10's per solar cycle?

You can have cycles with no X10's, but it is also possible for a single sunspot group to produce several X10 flares. In June 1991 NOAA 6659 fired off six X10+ flares over 15 days. I hope we get a spot like that this cycle 😎

1 hour ago, Fishaxolotl said:

Hmm, 3536 looks a bit stronger on the latest imagery I think though it's still designated as beta gamma with a smaller size

I compared with my imagery from pre-sleep and to me it looks weaker.