Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

2 hours ago, tniickck said:

these two look really big on farside map, especially on a solarham one

It can sometimes be helpful to compare with other sources. The farside maps show an overall area of magnetic activity.

In the image below you can compare the last available photospheric fields with the HMI image of the same area as it appears on the limb today. Hopefully you can also see that the farside map is covering multiple ARs which exist in the longitude range 270 to 360.

ARs3472_3474_nov18_23.jpg.bbb3a5dd5cda9a22d53734d72e52310e.jpg

• Like 2

Five active regions?  Ok. 
Edit:  almost sounds too good to be true!   Has to be NE given how blind we are at the limb.  However I saw what appeared  to be transequatorial flaring in the 131 ang  48 hour run earlier.  Was pretty impressive 

Edited by hamateur 1953

For us radio amateurs ( hams ) I have some unexpected good news.  I have been expecting SFI to rise naturally as it typically does.  But certainly didn’t expect this sharp of a rise over such a short period.  NRC posted 144.5 at days end.  Making 150 tomorrow likely. Tamitha and others expected about 130 by Wednesday. We blew past that today easily.  It wouldn’t be unreasonable to expect more good things from these regions as they rotate fully into view and cross our side.   And we still have activity shown in the south. True, they have been quiet for the time being.  But I remain optimistic. Edit: TCI has come up as a point of discussion as being a better overall measure of solar activity. 
I wouldn’t dispute this at all. In fact it might be nice to have it regularly posted if it was easily feasible.  Just a thought.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
Afterthoughts
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tniickck said:

yep, there must be, but according to the rules of the 25th cycle, this will be on the farside

Was assuming you were jesting there guy.  It’s unfortunately accurate for the last few opportunities we have missed. Including a spectacular explosion on the east limb a few months ago which wasted the AR and left scrambled eggs in its wake.  

5 uren geleden, hamateur 1953 zei:

For us radio amateurs ( hams ) I have some unexpected good news.  I have been expecting SFI to rise naturally as it typically does.  But certainly didn’t expect this sharp of a rise over such a short period.  NRC posted 144.5 at days end.  Making 150 tomorrow likely. Tamitha and others expected about 130 by Wednesday. We blew past that today easily.  It wouldn’t be unreasonable to expect more good things from these regions as they rotate fully into view and cross our side.   And we still have activity shown in the south. True, they have been quiet for the time being.  But I remain optimistic. Edit: TCI has come up as a point of discussion as being a better overall measure of solar activity. 
I wouldn’t dispute this at all. In fact it might be nice to have it regularly posted if it was easily feasible.  Just a thought.  

Mmmm…. There is a huge discrepancy between the solar flux and the sunspot number… even with the high resolution sunspots… don’t know what to make of it…

7 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

TCI has come up as a point of discussion as being a better overall measure of solar activity. 
I wouldn’t dispute this at all. In fact it might be nice to have it regularly posted if it was easily feasible

It is available on spaceweather.com

• Thanks 1

Solar flux rises and falls during all solar cycles @Patrick P.A. Geryl  That can be said with certainty.  Incidentally I noticed this seeming anomaly awhile back. SFI double the sunspot number.  However no two cycles are identical, one time earlier this year we had twelve ARs on the board and SFI hardly budged. Btw . Looks like 3490 just dealt an m flare. Cool!!

Edited by hamateur 1953
Update
  • Like 1

Exceeding all expectations SFI nearly hit 160 today with 156.5 ( 157) off a bit at days end.  If I am to fully believe stonyhurst 195 there is still more to come in via the north corridor.  Amazing to me. But cool!   18:00 utc. November 21 2023 SFI   170.2.  Wow. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Update

We could probably use @3gMikeon this topic if he is around. I haven’t got much sleep in the last two days. But would love his input on the reliability of Stonyhurst 195 as far as incoming. 
Because it sure looks good to me in both hemispheres still. Tnx. Mike/Hagrid.    Guess I should say a bit more on this subject to clarify exactly what I mean.  Assuming a large white area is visible on the stonyhurst diagram at roughly neg 60 degrees extending also to neg 90 degrees (east limb) would it be safe to assume good activity is still on our way? So to speak.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
Clarity

4 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

We could probably use @3gMikeon this topic if he is around. I haven’t got much sleep in the last two days. But would love his input on the reliability of Stonyhurst 195 as far as incoming. 
Because it sure looks good to me in both hemispheres still. Tnx. Mike/Hagrid.    Guess I should say a bit more on this subject to clarify exactly what I mean.  Assuming a large white area is visible on the stonyhurst diagram at roughly neg 60 degrees extending also to neg 90 degrees (east limb) would it be safe to assume good activity is still on our way? So to speak.  

Hi Mike - I was still in bed !!

I tend not to use that data very much. As I see it all it does is stretch the image on the edge. Using WSO photospheric maps it looks like there is at least one more reasonably strong AR just approaching the limb, with several weaker ones following on in the Northern hemisphere. Just a note of caution - the jsoc farside image suggests that the region currently approaching the limb may not be as strong as the photospheric data (captured early Nov) suggests. In any case there does seem to be some interesting development in other regions, so I feel confident that we can look forward to further activity.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

In any case there does seem to be some interesting development in other regions, so I feel confident that we can look forward to further activity.

Yep, more spots coming in on the limb, and spots developing in other regions too. The current daily SN is estimated at 167 right now, sharp rise from just ~30 a few days ago. Of course there's no guarantee that these spurts will last or continue happening, but I suspect they will.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 3gMike said:

Hi Mike - I was still in bed !!

I tend not to use that data very much. As I see it all it does is stretch the image on the edge. Using WSO photospheric maps it looks like there is at least one more reasonably strong AR just approaching the limb, with several weaker ones following on in the Northern hemisphere. Just a note of caution - the jsoc farside image suggests that the region currently approaching the limb may not be as strong as the photospheric data (captured early Nov) suggests. In any case there does seem to be some interesting development in other regions, so I feel confident that we can look forward to further activity.

Sorry Mike!! I forget other people require sleep on occasion!  Haha I need to check Greenwich time or whatever utc  before assuming anything!  With Newbie in Australia and y’all in England it can be disorienting at times   Thanks for weighing in   Heck its 4am here in freezing Seattle now and I’m thinking of the sun   Not unreasonable given the circumstances!!  Might as well stay up all night and sack out midday tomorrow   And the stretching was precisely my main concern!   Bravo   

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

Yep, more spots coming in on the limb, and spots developing in other regions too. The current daily SN is estimated at 167 right now, sharp rise from just ~30 a few days ago. Of course there's no guarantee that these spurts will last or continue happening, but I suspect they will.  Nothing but good news today!! About time.