Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

Very glad to hear this gentlemen! 

1 hour ago, tniickck said:

yeah, already 3 different groups

2 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Activity calmed down a bit (apart from the filaments), but there seems to be a few spots on the horizon, so we're not headed for spotless territory anytime soon.

• Like 1

Good to hear @tniickck.  Owe ya a like cuz I definitely like that news about now.  Especially with the mess that arrived recently heading for cover on the west limb soon!  Btw did you have a chance to see any aurora? Later. Mike/Hagrid 

Edited by hamateur 1953

3 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Good to hear @tniickck.  Owe ya a like cuz I definitely like that news about now.  Especially with the mess that arrived recently heading for cover on the west limb soon!  Btw did you have a chance to see any aurora? Later. Mike/Hagrid 

yepspacer.png

• Like 1

there is a very fast-growing group in N10 W40 that has reversed polarities

Where are you seeing that? I'm not seeing anything of the sort, but maybe I'm blind.

This is the closest one I can see matching that description, but it doesn't appear to have reversed polarities:

latest.gif

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Where are you seeing that? I'm not seeing anything of the sort, but maybe I'm blind.

This is the closest one I can see matching that description, but it doesn't appear to have reversed polarities:

latest.gif

i misidentified it so bad... thanks for correcting, it has normal polarities

5 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

That really is a big one @tniickck!  Looks like the launch last March I think it was.  Hopefully little 3513 delivers us something half as impressive.  

it isn't as fast as a March one, unfortunately. this one will take 40-44 hours to get to 1 AU

3 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Do you think it's from one of the regions that rotated out of view not long ago, or likely from somewhere else?

I dont know, actually. it looks to be originated with 3492 cluster as it must be in position now

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tniickck said:

it isn't as fast as a March one, unfortunately. this one will take 40-44 hours to get to 1 AU

The March 13th one I was thinking about was completely opposite us and would’ve packed quite a punch had it been on our side.  

Edited by hamateur 1953

I was just on solar ham when the JSOC image caught my eye on the east limb.  A rather large dark black region is on its way to us, assuming it remains intense, it looks very good presently.  I have never really used this predictive tool, so the timeline of when we might expect it is vague to me   However the east limb north is getting brighter on the 131 a  ( teal colored) display

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I was just on solar ham when the JSOC image caught my eye on the east limb.  A rather large dark black region is on its way to us, assuming it remains intense, it looks very good presently.  I have never really used this predictive tool, so the timeline of when we might expect it is vague to me   However the east limb north is getting brighter on the 131 a  ( teal colored) display

Definitely skeptical of how reliable farside imagery is, but I guess it's something to keep an eye on, not that much going on on the visible disc, the northern region (3513) being the least uninteresting now that 3511 and co. are rotating out of view.

As for the timeline, if it is roughly where the image says it is, any spots there should become visible in 1-3 days.

Personally I tend to look more at the 171 Å imagery to check for incoming activity before any spots are visible, and it does look like there might be something there. Nothing crazy by the looks of it, but could be some spots at least; anything to save us from spotlessness.

Ok then. It is the usual waiting game. Some AR is having fits as I type this. Probably 3511 or 3513.  I’m gonna recheck the departure date of 92 and its associated ARs and edit this in a bit so we might have a better timeline of their return for better or worse.  Looks to me as though what we are seeing in northern hemisphere is likely the interesting mess that arrived last month.  It is looking good in 195 angstroms too. The timing is about right.  ( was eventually consolidated into one post of four by @Jesterface23for those who weren’t here earlier). 3492 was most active if I remember correctly. 

Edited by hamateur 1953

33 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Ok then. It is the usual waiting game. Some AR is having fits as I type this. Probably 3511 or 3513.  I’m gonna recheck the departure date of 92 and its associated ARs and edit this in a bit so we might have a better timeline of their return for better or worse.  Looks to me as though what we are seeing in northern hemisphere is likely the interesting mess that arrived last month.  It is looking good in 195 angstroms too. The timing is about right.  ( was eventually consolidated into one post of four by @Jesterface23for those who weren’t here earlier). 3492 was most active if I remember correctly. 

it's not old 3492. it is newly formed region on the farside

i am sorry i dont post and observe much cuz I'm now in a hospital with bad pneumonia and i dont have many time to do it

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I’m gonna recheck the departure date of 92 and its associated ARs

15 minutes ago, tniickck said:

It can't be that one by my estimates either, that one should be closer to opposite the central meridian around now, a bit past it. At those latitudes it should take around 26 days for a full rotation, and that cluster was near the central meridian on November 25, 16 days ago, so we won't be seeing that for another 10 days or so. Maybe a bit too rough of an estimate, but seems about right. I think that might actually be the rightmost region on the JSOC map being referenced here, seems to fit a bit better at least.

I agree that this is more likely something newly formed, if there's much to see there at all; I guess we'll find out in a day or three.

• Like 2

It exited stage right about nov 26 unless I have got my posts wrong. Hmm.  At least the leading group did. Well, I am outnumbered it seems and certainly no expert on this stuff. I will take your word for it for the time being.  Actually, I hope it is a new group, we need all the population we can get. Haha. Mike/Hagrid. 

Very sorry to hear this buddy!  Get better soon!! @tniickck

i am sorry i dont post and observe much cuz I'm now in a hospital with bad pneumonia and i dont have many time to do it

• Thanks 1

Something just let loose in a really big and strange way just over the western (incoming) limb.  Definitely eruptive, but it looks like the ejecta didn't expand radially outward from the sun so much as it skipped along from the equator towards the pole?  Visible at all SUVI, but maybe most evident at 304 Angstroms. I wonder what LASCO will show.  Anyway, something interesting appears to be coming around the bend!

• Like 1
  • Cool 2