Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

8 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Not sure, haven't kept track lately. Looking briefly at the archive it doesn't seem that way, but I could have missed something.

I agree.

It is currently sitting at around Carrington longitude 73 and 9deg south. The nearest match I can find is AR3389 which was a small Alpha spot at C67 / -9 for the first part of the last rotation. It was then recorded as a Plage for 5 days, but re-appeared for 1 day and was recorded at C54 /-16. My guess would be that there has been some development in the fields in that area, so it would probably be reasonable to call it a new spot.

Hey guys Newbie just gave me a heads up on a huge pair that looks like Southern Hemisphere but close to equator and arriving soon. Hopefully she will post something definitive here soon. My untrained eyeballs say its 1500 or better.  Keep fingers crossed. Later, Mike/Hagrid 

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

32 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Hey guys Newbie just gave me a heads up on a huge pair that looks like Southern Hemisphere but close to equator and arriving soon. Hopefully she will post something definitive here soon. My untrained eyeballs say its 1500 or better.  Keep fingers crossed. Later, Mike/Hagrid 

From Mastcam? And by 1500 I assume you mean area in µh (microhemispheres)? Sounds interesting, color me intrigued.

Looking at the latest Mastcam images I see a series of images like this one were taken on August 20 (3 days ago), and I can make out the spots I believe you're referring to:

Mars-Perseverance-ZR7-0888-0745776321-34

Given the current heliocentric separation angle between Earth and Mars of ~135°, I'd estimate that we'll see these spots rotating into view in 2-3 days, maybe even less.

Actually, now that I think about it I'm not exactly sure about how this image is oriented, I'm thinking it might not be reoriented the way most of the imagery specific to Solar observations is. That complicates the matter a bit.

Also not sure exactly what the darker areas really represent, but I'm assuming only umbrae would be clearly visible in imagery like that. Maybe not, but if so it does look like some very large spots indeed.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

4 hours ago, Philalethes said:

From Mastcam? And by 1500 I assume you mean area in µh (microhemispheres)? Sounds interesting, color me intrigued.

Looking at the latest Mastcam images I see a series of images like this one were taken on August 20 (3 days ago), and I can make out the spots I believe you're referring to:

Mars-Perseverance-ZR7-0888-0745776321-34

Given the current heliocentric separation angle between Earth and Mars of ~135°, I'd estimate that we'll see these spots rotating into view in 2-3 days, maybe even less.

Actually, now that I think about it I'm not exactly sure about how this image is oriented, I'm thinking it might not be reoriented the way most of the imagery specific to Solar observations is. That complicates the matter a bit.

Also not sure exactly what the darker areas really represent, but I'm assuming only umbrae would be clearly visible in imagery like that. Maybe not, but if so it does look like some very large spots indeed.

@Philalethes I did post in the other thread so I won’t repeat myself here. Yes the dark areas represent Umbrae. There are quite a few news articles running now including the one above 👆 which I have only just discovered lol. Timeframe possibly the weekend or before.

N.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 2
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, cheebee said:

littlebigspots.thumb.jpg.4d976816b329635f1ac2a0bf2cefe2cf.jpgis that them on the left there near the 60 ( about 40 in) ?

Looks like it would be the general area, but not sure exactly where in that region it is, could be closer to the 60-degree line too, but somewhere between 40-60 sounds right to me.

6 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

That seems to be a pretty big trans equatorial loop in 131 angstroms currently.  Sure hope it’s an announcement and not another disappointment!  🙂

image.jpeg.6039af1721f1c02ff334c463296ef950.jpeg

yep, looks quite solid

according to gong it just formed, and according to jsoc (i trust it more, personally) it is quite old

it will take us 2-3 days to see it, hoping for the best

looking at jsoc gif about development of active regions, this region has grown in past +-4 days in the place where in the past were 3394 and 3363, so yes, we have a lot to hope for

Edited by tniickck
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

Indeed it was!  I’ve been rewatching sdo 131 angstroms 48 hr run repeatedly because it is one of the cooler explosions I have witnessed!   Solar Ham estimated 48-72 hrs until this region shows its face.  Lookin’ forward to this! 

5 hours ago, cheebee said:

that eruption from the eastern limb on AIA 094 was absolutely stunning! i look forward to seeing the rest of it.

its getting fruity out there

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 2:10 PM, tniickck said:

looking at jsoc gif about development of active regions, this region has grown in past +-4 days in the place where in the past were 3394 and 3363, so yes, we have a lot to hope for

I thought it might be interesting to compare jsoc farside with the latest photospheric map (from 13th August).

photospheric_helio_aug26_23.jpg.11c466ccd8386b2afb0ebc2912dbe444.jpg

It certainly looks interesting around longitude 330 to 345, but I'm not so sure about the near equatorial region. Of course, there could have been some development of the negative field in that area.

Edited by 3gMike
After thought - development of fields !
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tniickck said:

that region is starting to show up at about 5-10 S

if the sdo is on time, it looks to me like its not released everything from that burst, i think it might go again 👀 on the AIA 171 it looks like theres still an enormous amount of energy there. unless that already released cos of the delay

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cheebee said:

if the sdo is on time, it looks to me like its not released everything from that burst, i think it might go again 👀 on the AIA 171 it looks like theres still an enormous amount of energy there. unless that already released cos of the delay

well, AIA 171 shows us coronal loops, and the brightest loops are in areas where magnetic field is very strong (they can appear even in regions with no spots), but it is a good sign, undoubtedly

• Like 1