Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

13 minutes ago, NEAurora said:

There has been two pretty impressive looking CMEs on Lasco back behind the western limb in the last 24 hours, something to look forward to next week perhaps? Or at least something worth discussing here?

The first was a filament eruption just over the limb. There is some region over the limb though for the 2nd CME, and some smaller CMES.

Looks like there's a decent spot coming over the limb now:

incoming.jpg

That's a bit south of the Solar equator, ~8° S, but there was also just a medium-duration C7.5 flare on the limb at ~8° N, not far from 3293, which seems to coincide with a sizeable region that's just popped up on the farside map published by GONG:

mrfqj230501t0000.jpg

Interesting with all these potentially large regions popping up near each other so close to the equator, seems like more indications that we're approaching maximum slowly but surely. Will also be interesting to see if there's any transequatorial action here.

Maybe it's a bit premature to get excited about it, but looks like something to watch out for.

Edited by Philalethes
typo
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

That's a bit south of the Solar equator, ~8° S, but there was also just a medium-duration C7.5 flare on the limb at ~8° N, not far from 3293, which seems to coincide with a sizeable region that's just popped up on the farside map

The southern spot is pretty much an exact match for old region 3280. Old region 3273 was about done when it left the west limb, but seems to be in a similar position for the C7.5 flare source.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

The southern spot is pretty much an exact match for old region 3280. Old region 3273 was about done when it left the west limb, but seems to be in a similar position for the C7.5 flare source.

10 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Interesting with all these potentially large regions popping up near each other so close to the equator, seems like more indications that we're approaching maximum slowly but surely. Will also be interesting to see if there's any transequatorial action here.

Looking at photospheric maps from January to mid-April it would seem that this region has been dynamic and there are certainly some trans-equatorial fields.

prelim.pho_Jan-apr_C120.jpg.79b623a6f32a0c2bfed07bccebee7cf7.jpg

• Like 2

Coronal hole with positive polarity , entering the geoeffective zone. AIA 211 Angstroms SDO.

latest_1024_0211.jpg

A cme was thrown today at AR 3288, since video cannot be uploaded, I show some fragments of the event that come directly towards us, observable in the suvi 303 Angstroms. Download the photos, in order and you can see it in frame animation. NOOA Goes -East SUVI 303.8 Angstroms , Event by CME on 02-05-2023 .

foto 4.jpg

foto 5.jpg

foto 6.jpg

foto 7.jpg

A cme was thrown today at AR 3288, since video cannot be uploaded, I show some fragments of the event that come directly towards us, observable in the suvi 303 Angstroms. Download the photos, in order and you can see it in frame animation. NOOA Goes -East SUVI 303.8 Angstroms , Event by CME on 02-05-2023 .

foto 1.jpg

foto 2.jpg

26 minutes ago, Jhon Henry Osorio Orozco said:

This looked to be a large filament eruption on the opposite side of our view of the southwest disk.

Overall this topic is for sunspot regions on the other side of the Sun, not current regions or active CHs

• Like 2

AIA 211 Angstroms shows  , a remarkable amount of emergent flows, forming active regions. Observe white dots.

https://helioviewer.org/?movieId=6fhn5 

AIA 211 Angstroms shows  , a remarkable amount of emergent flows, forming active regions. Observe white dots.

Impacts in process indicated with arrows plot_image_(1).thumb.png.f8c5bf721708fef30b6ddcf3ea5ba839.png

Edited by Jhon Henry Osorio Orozco

2 hours ago, Jhon Henry Osorio Orozco said:

Impacts in process indicated with arrows plot_image_(1).thumb.png.f8c5bf721708fef30b6ddcf3ea5ba839.png

i dont get it? can someone explain? what has the current solar wind arriving at earth to do with incoming regions?

56 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

i dont get it? can someone explain? what has the current solar wind arriving at earth to do with incoming regions?

If it's any consolation, I don't get it either; I'm struggling to see the connection here.

I suspect they're talking about two unrelated topics, but I neither see anything notable about the Solar wind, nor do I think it belongs here.

The claim about emerging regions is interesting, not so much because I quite understand why it's being claimed, but because there seems to be an uptick in activity at the moment. Would be interested in knowing if there's anything to that claim.

4 hours ago, Jhon Henry Osorio Orozco said:

DSCOVR has a damaded faraday cup resulting in errored real time solar wind data. And still not the topic to post this in. You might as well make your own and anything further can be sorted out there.

25 minutes ago, mozy said:

With how this region is growing, doesn't this usually bode for more activity? North/south rather than west/east or whatever the terms are for it.

ca9b1ccb019dc1abdec247f0dfa44c34.png

Good catch. Maybe it has to do with interaction from the large region that's coming over the limb now in this case? I'm not going to pretend to understand all the underlying complexities, but I've seen it mentioned both here and in various papers that spots oriented in atypical ways (especially those with polarities completely reversed) are indeed a good sign to watch out for when it comes to activity. This one even seems to be slightly reversed. It grew out quite fast too. Exciting.

• Like 1

A space to record CME impacts in real time would be nice.

The region, in the photo, is entering, on the eastern limb, visible, it has two delta configurations, which already ensures level flares. 

https://helioviewer.org/?movieId=4lhn5  

region nueva.jpg

Edited by Jhon Henry Osorio Orozco

48 minutes ago, Jhon Henry Osorio Orozco said:

A space to record CME impacts in real time would be nice.

There's an entire subsection of the forum dedicated to geomagnetic activity here; feel free to make a thread if there is some ongoing geomagnetic activity, like a CME impact.

50 minutes ago, Jhon Henry Osorio Orozco said:

The region, in the photo, is entering, on the eastern limb, visible, it has two delta configurations, which already ensures level flares. 

It definitely looks like there's a fair amount of complexity, but it's still a bit too early to conclusively pin down any deltas from what I can see, it's still not that easy to tell where the sunspots are. But it does look promising.

• Like 2

Looking at the compression of the magnetosphere , has been slowly compressing :

2023- 05 -02 , 22 : 22  UTC .

rO MP = 9.99 Re

2023  - 05 -02  , 22:25 UTC.

rO MP = 10 .09 Re

2023 -05 -02 , 23: 01 UTC.

rO MP = 9.98 Re 

MP : Magnetopause.

Re : External Ratio .

This shows is that activity may pick up a bit in the next few hours.