Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

Looks like there are some fairly impressive structures at the limb right now:

Screenshot-53.png

The coronal loops standing out at that angle near the bottom there seems peculiar to me. GONG has been showing this farside region on and off, at some points it was registering as a lot bigger too:

image.png

Maybe we'll finally get a look at it in a few days, hopefully it hasn't decayed too much. As per the movie GONG compiles of the farside movement here, it seems like it was an AR on the visible side before too; actually, I believe it was AR 13288 from looking at the archive, which was discussed a bit here, but someone should probably double-check that. It had several impulsive flares, including an M7, but was ultimately a disappointment.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, D1SCORDANT said:

Aw damn from the limb I was checking the sdo but fair enough, for what it's worth cool to see almost X class again hope it'll rotate and still be active :(

Ah, yes, the eternal struggle between wanting to see more flares and wanting active regions to save their magnetic energy for when they're facing us.

• Like 2

Big eruption from behind the western limb now too, was it from our anti-Hale region or something else?  Looking at SUVI, everything just shakes.

That sure looks like a super fast/intense CME. Edit:

c22577d22c474e272605f1545d26e9d6.png

Edited by mozy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mozy said:

Big eruption from behind the western limb now too, was it from our anti-Hale region or something else?  Looking at SUVI, everything just shakes.

That sure looks like a super fast/intense CME.

I see what you mean, the entire outer region of the corona seemed to wave there. Very interesting; I wonder if it was in any way connected with the flare on the other side. The most recent imagery from LASCO shows the beginning of the eruption in question now, looks pretty big indeed:

Screenshot-53.png

Bonus points for Pleiades to the upper left.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Looks like there are some fairly impressive structures at the limb right now:

Screenshot-53.png

The coronal loops standing out at that angle near the bottom there seems peculiar to me. GONG has been showing this farside region on and off, at some points it was registering as a lot bigger too:

image.png

Maybe we'll finally get a look at it in a few days, hopefully it hasn't decayed too much. As per the movie GONG compiles of the farside movement here, it seems like it was an AR on the visible side before too; actually, I believe it was AR 13288 from looking at the archive, which was discussed a bit here, but someone should probably double-check that. It had several impulsive flares, including an M7, but was ultimately a disappointment.

I agree that it is probably the same region that supported AR3288 on the last rotation. The whole zone covered by Carrington longitudes 180 to 360 showed very significant development between end of March and end of April, so it is possible that development has continued during the transition of the farside. It looks like this might be the only strong region for the next few days, so let's hope it delivers more big flares.

fieldscomparisonMar_Apr_2023.jpg.e720f5490c082720546c6cb76f6fffe0.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Philalethes said:

I see what you mean, the entire outer region of the corona seemed to wave there. Very interesting; I wonder if it was in any way connected with the flare on the other side. The most recent imagery from LASCO shows the beginning of the eruption in question now, looks pretty big indeed:

Screenshot-53.png

Bonus points for Pleiades to the upper left.

https://twitter.com/halocme/status/1658639102995234816?s=46&t=Tt-tC9Mn6i1vFOQXKJLM5A

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Yes; to clarify I didn't mean to say that the CME was somehow originating from the flare of the incoming region, it was fairly obvious that the eruption came from somewhere around the regions that just left us, I just wonder whether there's any connection when very energetic events occur so close to each other temporally. Could certainly always be coincidence, but not too long ago I recall seeing three eruptions/flares one after the other as if there were some underlying wave triggering them, but perhaps it was more of a domino effect where they triggered from each other. This was the post I was thinking of. It's of course more of a stretch when we're talking about opposite sides of the surface, and I don't even know whether there's anything that could even trigger it that fast from the other side, but it seemed noteworthy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Yes; to clarify I didn't mean to say that the CME was somehow originating from the flare of the incoming region, it was fairly obvious that the eruption came from somewhere around the regions that just left us, I just wonder whether there's any connection when very energetic events occur so close to each other temporally. Could certainly always be coincidence, but not too long ago I recall seeing three eruptions/flares one after the other as if there were some underlying wave triggering them, but perhaps it was more of a domino effect where they triggered from each other. This was the post I was thinking of. It's of course more of a stretch when we're talking about opposite sides of the surface, and I don't even know whether there's anything that could even trigger it that fast from the other side, but it seemed noteworthy.

No need to explain yourself, i just linked you the tweet because you seemed interested in the topic and i wanted to provide info 😃❤️ 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Philalethes said:

I don't even know whether there's anything that could even trigger it that fast from the other side, but it seemed noteworthy.

I don't know either but, looking at the photospheric fields, it seems possible that there could be an opportunity for the two regions to share fields. Given the weakness of the Red field in the region I have circled in the image below it seems at least possible that the two blue fields could merge and thus result in the two regions sharing a common field. Is that enough to allow coupling over such a distance? I do not know - perhaps others with more knowledge could comment.

Possiblecouplingbetweenfields.jpg.1fd9e9f0e96b8e588b6038c065dd4da4.jpg

An update of the map from WSO would be really helpful but they seem to be having problems again. Does anybody know of an alternative source for this data?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

There looks to have been a decent far side eruption resulting in a CME launching (Not from region 3311 which we are still waiting for something to happen). The source seems to be roughly a week from the limb.

It's always a perfect halo when facing the other way.

Doesn't seem to be any interesting on the far side right now as per GONG, but that's definitely still an imprecise science. Now that I'm looking at it I see that it was showing this a couple of days ago:

image.png

But ~12 hours before and after that there was minimal activity, so I figure there's something strange going on with the data there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

There looks to have been a decent far side eruption resulting in a CME launching (Not from region 3311 which we are still waiting for something to happen). The source seems to be roughly a week from the limb.

I’m thinking this was probably from 3296 as the timing lines up. Hard to believe it’s only a week away from the disk. Seems like it was just yesterday that it was facing us.

• Like 1