Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

13 hours ago, legend said:

Maybe we will get lucky and the region wakes up a little as it appears over limb onto disc! The glow coming off is just as magnificent as the large regions that are now departing. 

It is easy to be misled by the brightness at the limb. If you continue to watch you will see that the area fades as it comes further onto the disk. It is now ( Monday 08:00 UTC) possible to detect the leading edge on HMI, coming round the limb at about 12 degrees latitude.

As you say, let's hope it brings some more activity.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 12:39 PM, hamateur 1953 said:

I don’t see anything exciting yet on the east limb, however the 10.7 solar flux is risin again towards 200. Good news but would like to see region 486 from cycle 23 return from the dead!🤣🤣

I believe most of the recent rise is from regions that are already visible, especially 3213.

However, as I was typing the above sentence, I just did a double-check, and apparently there's an M-flare going on now from one of the regions that are over the limb and not visible yet, so that was probably also contributing to the flux.

Edited by Philalethes Bythos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

However, as I was typing the above sentence, I just did a double-check, and apparently there's an M-flare going on now from one of the regions that are over the limb and not visible yet.

Absolutely gorgeous eruption though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wolf star said:

Ano!

erup_1.jpg

erup_2.jpg

Lets just hope that the region kept some plasma for later. Absolutely beautiful eruption where you easily could see the front, cavity and core of the CME. Love seeing these bad boys from the side.

• Like 4

One to watch ? AR3216, currently shown as an Alpha spot, is on the exact coordinates which supported AR3186 on the last rotation. It produced 7 M flares and 1 X flare between Jan 10 and Jan 13, and was then fairly quiet for the remainder of the time on disk. Given that it appears to have survived transition of the farside we might hope that it re-develops on this pass.

46 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

SolarSoft just registered a series of medium-sized C-flares from slightly different positions near the limb. Seems to be the region that's coming into view now. Looks like it's got some size to it, but it's hard to say at this point.

Perhaps the return of AR13190… 3g, time yet?

W

49 minutes ago, Chris, HB9DFG said:

Hell all

It seems a nice and rare(?) sunspot-"strip" is turning around the edge:

23-02-08-2-limb.thumb.jpg.fb36a55a451b1ad1c6a1ba4440dd81d3.jpg

Source: http://jsoc.stanford.edu/data/hmi/images/latest/HMI_latest_Int_4096x4096.gif

Regards, Chris

Definitely looks promising, and I suspect there is more to follow (see STEREO image below). Should be able to get a better view tomorrow.

20230208_200500_n7euA_195.thumb.jpg.14d209c7b564be99e43828b4336c3c5d.jpg

Edited by 3gMike
Added STEREO image
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

Ok, a nice X-Flare is starting right now at the eastern limb, but I stay calm.
Seems to become one of those "stay tuned" and "maybe a glancing blow" type again.

Goodbye nice CME, maybe next time...or next time...or next time...or...

Chris

Edited by Chris, HB9DFG

The M flare this morning appears to have come from a presently  unnamed incoming active region in approximately the same latitude as 13229. It definitely bears watching imho.   It now has a number 13334 .  btw. Hopefully, Arjemma will find the delta with her electron microscope before it blasts itself into space! 🤣🤣

Edited by hamateur 1953
news

Yes. one might assume we had another year and a half to go until Solar maximum.  Always have a few “ ringers” in any cycle to prove the rule anyhow…

1 hour ago, Sam Warfel said:

I find it odd that these ARs are such a relatively high latitude, with the solar cycle reasonably well advanced now I would have thought we’d see more lower latitude spots