Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

2 minutes ago, WildWill said:

I can see them in H-a. Beautiful sun today! Really magnificent! 
cheers 

WnA

Can you maybe get some photos?

35 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Didn’t we had one of those lately? 

I'm not sure which one you are thinking about. AR3165 was very active for a few days as it approached the W limb in mid - December - producing a large number of M flares. That has just returned as AR3181.

The region now approaching the E limb looks like it is probably linked to AR3168 from the last rotation. At that time it was a small Alpha which produced no significant flares. Looks like it may have developed on farside.

• Like 2
  • Cool 2

This new one i very interested indeed, looks like almost constant flaring on the SDO pictures. I'm hoping it will stay active and not decay. There is a possibility that 3182 and 3184 (new one) will set off each other as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

How so ? Thanks for the heads up :D

I saw some coronal waves between them and also some magnetic loops jumping. This can cause a chain reaction where one eruption makes other sun spots nearby unstable. It's a small chance but can happen.

It's hard to see it fully until the new region is fully visible though.

If you want to learn more about this look up "sympathetic eruptions".

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Sounds like cool material for a meme!  

2 hours ago, arjemma said:

I saw some coronal waves between them and also some magnetic loops jumping. This can cause a chain reaction where one eruption makes other sun spots nearby unstable. It's a small chance but can happen.

It's hard to see it fully until the new region is fully visible though.

If you want to learn more about this look up "sympathetic eruptions".

I saw the large one live this AM when replying to 3g mike!   Wait?  wasn’t background just at low  c levels?? Now it’s at M1.1?? huh??   Was funny!!

• Haha 1

I think the flare from the northern spot was probably at least in the M range, masked entirely by the larger flare, though I can’t say for sure.  I’m basing that on the fact that I could easily see the diffraction pattern in the AiA images (see below).  Possible it was even stronger due to the fact that this region is behind the limb.  One of them sympathatic explosions folks were talking about earlier?

A097824C-E7AC-4F4C-9519-4F41F36B1D30.jpeg

• Like 1

Zojuist, NEAurora zei:

I think the flare from the northern spot was probably at least in the M range, masked entirely by the larger flare, though I can’t say for sure.  I’m basing that on the fact that I could easily see the diffraction pattern in the AiA images (see below).  Possible it was even stronger due to the fact that this region is behind the limb.  One of them sympathatic explosions folks were talking about earlier?

A097824C-E7AC-4F4C-9519-4F41F36B1D30.jpeg

Well it’s already on the limb, faculae already visible so not much obscured as the loops are already above the limb. But looking at the diffraction upper C, low class M to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Well it’s already on the limb, faculae already visible so not much obscured as the loops are already above the limb. But looking at the diffraction upper C, low class M to me.

d121f1c8064845c1e9fc5656fa6d17a6.png

How can this little critter literally pop out mid C class flares permanently?

7 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

possible, but when i look at SDO it seems to come "out" of the portion we can see, but thats not a guarantee.

yh, or it's just growing really fast and it's already complex enough to start popping off constantly despite being really small.