Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

1 hour ago, Orneno said:

4 ARs at roughly the same latitude across the northern hemisphere at once, and another hotspot incoming on STEREO A… the northern hemisphere is really kicking into gear! I’m watching for lower latitude spots as we trend towards maximum…

Can you show the one on Stereo A ? 

13 minutes ago, Orneno said:

5EB17FAE-4FB3-4DC8-9838-D5E090ECE1E8.jpeg

4510E0F8-BC30-4B49-96BC-F7FF598DEC3B.jpeg

As you can see its brightness is also showing up on SDO now

Looking at Photospheric field and GONG it does not look particularly promising.

prelim.pho_nov_29_2022.gif.284903eaff8ef491f6a2fe6fea60a68a.gif

GONG_dec05_2022.jpg.a06c1f4c5257c28c3ccf9109990680ad.jpg

Very little indication of any strong fields between Carrington longitudes 150 and 300 in the Northern Hemisphere. Perversely, it looks like there could be potential for a small spot in the southern hemisphere, and there was some indication of flaring on the limb in the latest synoptic chart.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Orneno said:

You’re referring to the southern hemisphere one?

Is that what’s responsible for the C-class background flux?

Yes, you can see it flare on suvi / sdo

1 hour ago, mozy said:

Seems like we have an interesting region coming our way, a lot of activity already.

are the flare strengths occulted or true to strength? i did not see that region coming! Was yesterdays Southern CME caused by this region or a filament?

@3gMike any recurrent region? :) 

14 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

are the flare strengths occulted or true to strength?

After looking at SDO vids and STEREO, I’m thinking full-strength or close to it, although their position varies a bit, so a further back flare could be a bit more hidden

Edited by Orneno

4 minutes ago, Orneno said:

After looking at SDO vids and STEREO, I’m thinking full-strength or close to it, although their position varies a bit, so a further back flare could be a bit more hidden

Yeah i think so too, it has to rotate onto the visible disc in less than 24h :) 

21 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Yes, you can see it flare on suvi / sdo

are the flare strengths occulted or true to strength? i did not see that region coming! Was yesterdays Southern CME caused by this region or a filament?

@3gMike any recurrent region? :) 

Yeah I don't think they're occulted

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

any recurrent region?

I cannot find any evidence for activity in that area over the last rotation. On the photospheric charts it seems to just be a single large negative field between Carrington longitudes 180 and 240. But clearly something is producing those flares so there may have been some development. Seems odd that it is not showing on Helio-seismology. We will just have to wait to see what appears.

Otherwise, not expecting to see anything in southern hemisphere for another 3 or 4 days.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

I cannot find any evidence for activity in that area over the last rotation. On the photospheric charts it seems to just be a single large negative field between Carrington longitudes 180 and 240. But clearly something is producing those flares so there may have been some development. Seems odd that it is not showing on Helio-seismology. We will just have to wait to see what appears.

Otherwise, not expecting to see anything in southern hemisphere for another 3 or 4 days.

So it may be a rapidly growing region then

3 minutes ago, mozy said:

much flaring always indicates that, but i've seen limb regions not getting picked up by helioseismology before 

the fields seem to be fresh and unstable, that to me indicates a new region thats "wrestling" alot with its surrounding/underlying magnetic fields. I cant quite paraphrase what i've read before - but that seems to be "normal" for new regions, because the new magnetic fields are still unstable and "fighting" with the previous ones

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mozy said:

I think we must wait a little longer before we can say that with any certainty.

I have just been looking back at earlier synoptic maps, and for the last two rotations the zone now approaching the limb has been covered by a coronal hole. If the coronal hole has collapsed might that induce development in the photospheric fields?

Edited by 3gMike
Added info re Coronal Hole

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mozy said:

Something is brewing behind the northeastern limb, long duration M-flare behind there, we can't see anything just yet.

The region approaching is at Carrington longitude C322. Last rotation that supported AR3156 which only produced a few small C flares. That AR was growing as it left the West limb, and jsoc farside images appear to indicate it as one of the strongest regions in the northern hemisphere, so there may be some cause for optimism.

• Like 4