Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

41 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Can someone tell me where this CME originated from?

Far side filament. It was on the SSW limb around the 20th-21st.

CMEs from some filament eruptions can pack a pretty good punch, maybe the most famous being the one that launched August 31st, 2012. The bulk of it missed us though.

Could this new region be the one that will bring the activity we have been waiting for?

It is found in a location that was inactive on the last rotation but the images suggest it has grown very significantly.

latest_4096_HMIBC_nov3rd.jpg.0a68274a701718ec68dc0532bbb794ad.jpglatest_4096_HMIIF_nov3rd.jpg.3d7356cc54687a984b6ea28e6c5d8be3.jpg

Actually, looking at it again, the spot is the wrong polarity so unless there are a bunch of other spots coming up behind.........😟

Edited by 3gMike
Comment re Polarity

6 hours ago, 3gMike said:

Could this new region be the one that will bring the activity we have been waiting for?

It is found in a location that was inactive on the last rotation but the images suggest it has grown very significantly.

latest_4096_HMIBC_nov3rd.jpg.0a68274a701718ec68dc0532bbb794ad.jpglatest_4096_HMIIF_nov3rd.jpg.3d7356cc54687a984b6ea28e6c5d8be3.jpg

Actually, looking at it again, the spot is the wrong polarity so unless there are a bunch of other spots coming up behind.........😟

remember that at the limb the magnetogram can be inaccurate 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I hope so!  I have been replaying x flares for days now!! 

It is currently looking like a delta spot, and there is another one coming in to join it at lower latitude.

Bring on the flares !!

latest_4096_HMIIF_nov04.thumb.jpg.6127905dd477d9c78903087890f07d53.jpglatest_4096_HMIBC_nov04.thumb.jpg.c68bd4880b8ed3170e481d0f7df4a04a.jpg

1 hour ago, 3gMike said:

It is currently looking like a delta spot, and there is another one coming in to join it at lower latitude.

Bring on the flares !!

latest_4096_HMIIF_nov04.thumb.jpg.6127905dd477d9c78903087890f07d53.jpglatest_4096_HMIBC_nov04.thumb.jpg.c68bd4880b8ed3170e481d0f7df4a04a.jpg

so you think those two are single delta spots without gammas? because to me they look very beta.. on the limbs magnetograms are not accurate

40 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

so you think those two are single delta spots without gammas? because to me they look very beta.. on the limbs magnetograms are not accurate

I'm not making any judgement on the lower latitude spot at the moment, but for the higher latitude spot the magnetogram clearly shows a beta (as you seem to agree) but the Intensitygram only shows a single penumbra.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

I'm not making any judgement on the lower latitude spot at the moment, but for the higher latitude spot the magnetogram clearly shows a beta (as you seem to agree) but the Intensitygram only shows a single penumbra.

But thats the case for many incoming betas or betas in general. The Western Limb AR for an example looks/looked identical.

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

But thats the case for many incoming betas or betas in general. The Western Limb AR for an example looks/looked identical.

The spot has now (13:35 UTC) been given the number 3140, and is classified as Alpha !

Edit: Looking a bit more carefully I think I agree with that. I noticed that the plage areas surrounding the spot seem to show up predominantly in the positive (green / blue) field areas. There is a gap between the positive spot and the plage area to the east.

Edited by 3gMike
Additional info re plage
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 12:38 AM, MinYoongi said:

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/de/sonnenaktivitat/neueste-cmes.html#27-3

Can someone tell me where this CME originated from? Filament ? (i think there was a large south-west one around that time?) or farside AR?

BildI think this filament eruption is the source, but i didnt knew that filaments reach such a speed (2000kms). i remember @Vancanneyt Sander saying they often dont produce large storms because they simply lack ejection power/speed.

It’s from the far side, filament I expect. Keep in mind that a filament and prominence are the same thing.  If it is on the limb, you can see it with the blackness of space as a backdrop - they call that a prominence. The same structure would have been called a filament before it got to the limb. 
Which ever you want to call it - it’s a long arch of plasma hanging hundreds or even thousands of km above the surface, except the ends. And of course many thousands or tens of thousands of km long.

Filaments can last a day or long enough to be visible multiple times around the sun. Sometimes they can erupt into space, but more commonly, fall back down to the surface of the sun.

With a filament, the ends tend to be most (magnetically involved) and so, when erupting it’s usually only the ends which pull mass out with the ejection and usually not so much mass as a flare can pull out of the sun.

Beautiful pic!

Hope this helps. It’s starting to look really nice out right now, after a few days of being socked in.  Off to the telescope!

Hope this helps some.

Cheers.

WnA

• Cool 1

On 11/5/2022 at 11:51 AM, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Well it does look like it can do something interesting. 

And indeed it did! Impulsive M5.2 flare, yet with a clear CME visible in some GOES imagery loops. Reminds me of when 3110 suddenly jumped from small flares to very strong flares 

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Something flare-y comes our way. @3gMike any info?

The region in the South produced no significant activity on the last rotation, and the WSO synoptic map (observed 7th Nov) does not suggest particularly strong magnetic fields, but the latest HMI Magnetogram looks encouraging, so there has probably been some development on the farside.

The region in the North produced two fairly active ARs on the last rotation - ARs 3140 and 3141 - As they left the West limb AR3141 was decaying but AR3140 was still growing, so that may have survived transition of the farside. That appears to be the area of highest magnetic field strength on the whole surface at the moment.

3 hours ago, 3gMike said:

The region in the South produced no significant activity on the last rotation, and the WSO synoptic map (observed 7th Nov) does not suggest particularly strong magnetic fields, but the latest HMI Magnetogram looks encouraging, so there has probably been some development on the farside.

The region in the North produced two fairly active ARs on the last rotation - ARs 3140 and 3141 - As they left the West limb AR3141 was decaying but AR3140 was still growing, so that may have survived transition of the farside. That appears to be the area of highest magnetic field strength on the whole surface at the moment.

Thanks mike.

i saw a big and fast CME from the far side so im waiting.

• Like 1