Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

7 hours ago, 3gMike said:

The region approaching is at Carrington longitude C322. Last rotation that supported AR3156 which only produced a few small C flares. That AR was growing as it left the West limb, and jsoc farside images appear to indicate it as one of the strongest regions in the northern hemisphere, so there may be some cause for optimism.

And another M from there, I think partially eclipsed so it may have been stronger. I like this region! Hope it keeps it up!

27 minutes ago, mozy said:

One of those moments I wish we could see how big the flare actually was seeing as the X-ray flux is still elevated from it..

No, the event ended pretty quick. The long duration event we,re seeing right now started afterwards if you look at the timestamp 

i wonder when that region will be starting to be visible?

If I’m right it will start to appear tomorrow.

Ps: the CME seems to be fast, cactus shows max speed of 2000kms but min of 600, how do we interpret this? I want to know with which speed a CME would impact earth (if earth directed) do I take the min,Max, or median speed for that?

28 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

No, the event ended pretty quick. The long duration event we,re seeing right now started afterwards if you look at the timestamp 

Yes but it's still the effects from the flare we're seeing, there's nothing else to elevate the X-ray flux on the earth facing side like this.

8 minutes ago, mozy said:

Yes but it's still the effects from the flare we're seeing, there's nothing else to elevate the X-ray flux on the earth facing side like this.

I think its a new long duration flare we’re seeing, because the X ray flux went down after the first enhancement and then back up again. 
gong shows the region but with low res :(

57 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I think its a new long duration flare we’re seeing, because the X ray flux went down after the first enhancement and then back up again. 
gong shows the region but with low res :(

That usually happens with bigger flares behind the limb, the X-ray flux picks up the brightness from the initial flare, which then fades & then the bright coronal loops rise after the flare making the X-ray flux slowly rise again.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

This rather impressive region has been indicated for most of its trajectory across the far side, and is seen well by helioseismology imagery. image.thumb.jpeg.bc68dc147fe3bfd9e16ef24156c65d1c.jpeg

i know! Sadly Gong has a bad duty cycle right now so imagery there is not as good. Here is another product by Stanford University

887d4a912ca42b573e33babf7f60d877.png9158d12fcba9cac214afc98369222943.png

19 hours ago, Landon Moeller said:

This rather impressive region has been indicated for most of its trajectory across the far side, and is seen well by helioseismology imagery. image.thumb.jpeg.bc68dc147fe3bfd9e16ef24156c65d1c.jpeg

This region (Carrington longitude 180 to 240) developed significantly over the last two rotations as you can see from the photospheric synoptic maps from WSO

940387544_Compare2264-2265.jpg.f93f722ab33939e37237d9ca7d1ded61.jpg

On the last rotation it supported three Active regions - AR3162 at C240/13S, AR3163 at C216/20S and AR3166 at C227/8S

AR3162 produced 7 C flares

AR3163 produced 27 C flares and 1 at M1.1

AR3166 produced only 2 C flares

The only really active region during that period was AR3165 at C278/19S. That has already returned as AR3181 which is not doing much at the moment.

We should see something by tomorrow (5th Jan)

35 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I wonder why noaa is going with a 10% chance for X-Class flares while assigning all regions 1%. Maybe the limb region ?

I doubt that the limb can have any effect, because they have no way to assess complexity until it comes into view.

Those percentage figures are always a bit of a mystery and I have found no way to correlate them with actual activity levels.

• Like 2

Hello everybody

It's time for another limb-shot. But the question is what to expect from
this constellation:

23-01-05-1-limb.thumb.jpg.f7076f44d00c91275ba474c0c2d00da6.jpg

Source: jsoc.stanford.edu

It looks promising, but hey, how many times we had this already before
and nothing happened earth sided.

But I soon will have my own lightshow  up there at Tromsø for some
days - regardless of the sun's activity or those "good looking" spot
groups. Just need a more or less clear sky and a K >1 :P

Btw, you can check the days with nearly daily "shows" here:
Best arctic

For example: no big show on Jan- 4th, but nice full moon show!

Enjoy and best regards!
Chris

Edited by Chris, HB9DFG
  • Like 3

major whoa!!! but from where praytell?? 

Not hard to answer my own question looking at the 131 angstrom view. definitely se limb!  really nice and bright.  Incoming for once😎

8 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

major whoa!!! but from where praytell?? 

9 minutes ago, Chris, HB9DFG said:

(ahäm...Spaceweather...do we have to stay tuned maybe? Ah, I just see, we have to...)

Not really, won't be any CMEs worth mentioning from this one I don't think, so I'm not sure what we would need to "Stay tuned" for, other than more flares in the future. Nothing more to do with this one I would think

3 hours ago, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

Mike. Is this old 3163? And 3163 was born when?

Patrick, It does not link directly to any one region.

AR3182 is located at C226, 17S. AR 3163 was located at C216, 20S whilst AR 3166 was located at C227, 8S so it is close to AR3163 in latitude, but close to AR3166 in longitude. It is fair to say that AR3163 had the larger area and was much more active.

AR3163 appeared on the East limb around 10th December. There was nothing in this area on the previous location, so I checked the farside maps. From those I would suggest that the magnetic field started to develop at this longitude around 1st December.