Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

30 minutes ago, mozy said:

Is it the limb illusion again or could this actually be a decently strong delta spot? Thought this looked kinda different since the colors were pretty strong.

87674403dc97ec055ff5a006b4b0acb2.pngd20ebc9cd2ec940cfb522e1af4cd032b.png

My thoughts exactly. The colours seem much darker than usual. But yeah, due to its limb proximity, I still wouldn’t be confident saying it is.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Calder said:

My thoughts exactly. The colours seem much darker than usual. But yeah, due to its limb proximity, I still wouldn’t be confident saying it is.

I didn't want to post about it yet until it rotated further into view but my curiosity took over, hope our thoughts are correct & that it perhaps can make itself known today & create something in the lines of "Friday the 13th's solar flare" ;)

• Like 3

I do agree with you but wouldn’t a delta flare? I mean the 3186 delta made itself known by flaring because of the closeness of the spots, those are squashed together so much.. shouldn’t that delta flare? 
but what else could it be if not a delta? I see 2 spots in a penumbra so it couldn’t be a beta right ?

7 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

I do agree with you but wouldn’t a delta flare? I mean the 3186 delta made itself known by flaring because of the closeness of the spots, those are squashed together so much.. shouldn’t that delta flare? 
but what else could it be if not a delta? I see 2 spots in a penumbra so it couldn’t be a beta right ?

It’s possible the foreshortening of the limb makes the two spots look much closer together than they are. In my opinion it’s possible they are just two adjacent spots that not within the same penumbra, and not a delta. I’d expect to be seeing more flaring if it really was a delta. 

• Like 2

Well at least it has been nothing but M flares all day, and M is the thirteenth letter in the english alphabet, so unless a monster X shows up, it’s M day! 

10 hours ago, mozy said:

I didn't want to post about it yet until it rotated further into view but my curiosity took over, hope our thoughts are correct & that it perhaps can make itself known today & create something in the lines of "Friday the 13th's solar flare" ;)

Edited by hamateur 1953
typi

2 hours ago, Sam Warfel said:

It’s possible the foreshortening of the limb makes the two spots look much closer together than they are. In my opinion it’s possible they are just two adjacent spots that not within the same penumbra, and not a delta. I’d expect to be seeing more flaring if it really was a delta. 

SWPC have now allocated a number (AR3190) and currently classify it as an Alpha spot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam Warfel said:

The alpha is likely just a placeholder due to limb foreshortening, until they can assign a more accurate class. 

Yes, I thought that may be the case, but the two northern spots, at a similar longitude, are classified Beta. Of course, the spots in those regions are more widely separated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3gMike said:

Yes, I thought that may be the case, but the two northern spots, at a similar longitude, are classified Beta. Of course, the spots in those regions are more widely separated.

you could be right too. it could be an alpha class sunspot with just blue penumbra.

Hi! Another newbie here...  Looks like incoming regions 3190 and especially 3191 and 3192 look especially bright and over a fairly large area. I wonder if these will give continuing fireworks that we've seen over the past week+ or even more? Also, is it possible that 3191 and 3192 are parts of the same complex? Or is it too soon to tell? 

sol.jpg

One other question, ham radio related: Anyone know what caused the >10 MeV proton flux increase in the graph below? I didn't see anything like an X flare going on at that time. This was yesterday late afternoon/early evening on the west coast of US yesterday. At that time, in the 40 meter band, I was picking up commercial broadcast from China on freq 7.250 very strongly using a pretty weak temporary dipole (of two hamsticks) from inside my house on the 2nd floor. The reception was as strong as if it was very close and lasted about 30 or 40 minutes before fading out... around 0100 to about 0140 UTC. There were lots of other incoming transmissions (good ionosphere bounce it looked like). I've only picked up commercial Chinese broadcast once before with this setup - about 6 months ago - but not this strong. It was extraordinary and coincided with the flux time below. Any ideas about this? 

1791972466_protonflux.thumb.png.ee86a6ee620be14d33517d5c3af80bcd.png

2 hours ago, marc-pdx said:

Hi! Another newbie here... 

Welcome to the forums!

2 hours ago, marc-pdx said:

One other question, ham radio related: Anyone know what caused the >10 MeV proton flux increase in the graph below? I didn't see anything like an X flare going on at that time. This was yesterday late afternoon/early evening on the west coast of US yesterday. At that time, in the 40 meter band, I was picking up commercial broadcast from China on freq 7.250 very strongly using a pretty weak temporary dipole (of two hamsticks) from inside my house on the 2nd floor. The reception was as strong as if it was very close and lasted about 30 or 40 minutes before fading out... around 0100 to about 0140 UTC. There were lots of other incoming transmissions (good ionosphere bounce it looked like). I've only picked up commercial Chinese broadcast once before with this setup - about 6 months ago - but not this strong. It was extraordinary and coincided with the flux time below. Any ideas about this? 

In the future, please use the amateur radio section of the forums to discuss ham radio topics. 
That SEP that you are asking about was caused by a large flare/CME eruption that took place yesterday just behind the west limb. The flare was mostly hidden from Earth, but we did still receive the solar energetic protons guided around via the Parker Spiral, that’s the cause of the event you asked about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam Warfel said:

Welcome to the forums!

In the future, please use the amateur radio section of the forums to discuss ham radio topics. 
That SEP that you are asking about was caused by a large flare/CME eruption that took place yesterday just behind the west limb. The flare was mostly hidden from Earth, but we did still receive the solar energetic protons guided around via the Parker Spiral, that’s the cause of the event you asked about. 

Thanks - I'll read up on that. And, will do!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

flare from NE region :) 

It's currently trying to form a delta ^^

A bit more overall penumbral growth around the area and I think It'll become one as long as that spot doesn't decay.

37 minutes ago, mozy said:

It's currently trying to form a delta ^^

A bit more overall penumbral growth around the area and I think It'll become one as long as that spot doesn't decay.

I’m trying to see where but I cannot find it, would you be so kind to show me?