Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

15 minutes ago, Ester89 said:

This last one (M 6.8 flare) has been assigned to region 3368.

I wonder if it's some mistake, as I certainly saw it shine brightly on the north limb

Not sure where you see that, it's definitely from the incoming limb

10 minutes ago, mozy said:

Not sure where you see that, it's definitely from the incoming limb

I saw it here. I notice now that it also says 6.7 and not 6.83, there must be something I'm not understanding

Screenshot_20230711_214323_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8c698d40b8236a0ae454998f81bb9871.jpg

Just now, Ester89 said:

I saw it here. I notice now that it also says 6.7 and not 6.83, there must be something I'm not understanding

Screenshot_20230711_214323_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8c698d40b8236a0ae454998f81bb9871.jpg

It's definitely just an error somewhere in the data pipeline where the flare was misattributed.

As for why it says M6.7 instead of M6.8, my best guess is that it's using the values from the GOES-18 satellite rather than the larger of the two, which is from GOES-16 in this case; there are typically some minor differences between them which can be caused by differences in location or even in the measurement instruments. GOES-18 is the newer one (launched just last year vs. 2016 for GOES-16), and thus likely considered more reliable.

Screenshot-53.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mozy said:

Now we have another incoming region producing It's first M-flare, I love this spurt of activity.

I think that might be the first signs of the long-awaited return of 3354. Position and timing seems to check out.

And yeah, this latest flurry of activity has been great, really kicked things up a notch for the time being.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Any action welcomed particularly cmes. Wow I need more sleep. Perseids due to peak in two weeks in case others have forgotten as well as me!  Edit. I was looking at 131 angstrom pic of southern incoming. Huge loop on that critter indeed!! 

5 hours ago, tniickck said:

anybody watching? looks like 3363 comes back

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 2

I think you are absolutely correct. Especially as I have one of my eyes of solar flux at all times and it is heading back up. Couple this with a nice white mess on what I affectionately call “ the green screen “ on far left it is lookin’  good indeed!     PS. Green screen: Far side incoming regions 

i may be glitching but i see 2 quite big sunspots on the limb rn at about N20

do you see this too guys? i am wondering if i see smth wrong, but magnetic field maps and SDO 94 and 171 A say that there is something

In any event, we should have a very good idea in three days or less. Assuming, of course they aren’t deactivated! 🤣

Edited by hamateur 1953
Clarity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I think you are absolutely correct. Especially as I have one of my eyes of solar flux at all times and it is heading back up. Couple this with a nice white mess on what I affectionately call “ the green screen “ on far left it is lookin’  good indeed!     PS. Green screen: Far side incoming regions 

In any event, we should have a very good idea in three days or less. Assuming, of course they aren’t deactivated! 🤣

thanks for your opinion, this must be 3376 returing

Edited by tniickck
typo
  • Like 1

is there a topic for appearing from nowhere regions? if there is, send me please, i will post it there, but for now i will write there: this region appeared for like 12 hours ago and for last 3 hours it has grown quite well, so I would keep an eye on that one

Screenshot_20230813-133333_Sun Today.jpg

it grows on the "ruins" of 3376,so it has where to grow

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tniickck said:

is there a topic for appearing from nowhere regions? if there is, send me please, i will post it there, but for now i will write there: this region appeared for like 12 hours ago and for last 3 hours it has grown quite well, so I would keep an eye on that one

I think this topic has been used for that as well previously, and in a certain sense new regions forming can be said to be "incoming" in their own way. Others might disagree though, and it's primarily been for regions coming over the limb, so it might be better to either just create a new topic for it or wait until it becomes active enough to warrant that.

As for this one, time will tell if it turns out well or not; seems to me like we've entered a somewhat calm period after the X-flares, the SN has dropped down quite low too. Hopefully a calm before the storm, would be nice with some good activity this fall and winter as we keep approaching maximum.

Edited by Philalethes
  • Like 4

it looks like its actually about to pop one off