Region 3590

Ingolf

Just now, mozy said:

This

de64a66d429135053b47830dc91e8ea0.png

Ah, thank you! 

From solarham

. The magnetic delta located in the center of the group appears weakened as well, although a transition line between positive and negative polarity looks to be gaining traction within that lead group of spots

Whats a transition line? How do we tell its gaining traction?

btw : in which wavelength (SDO) are flare-origins within a region best observable again? :) 

https://www.spaceweather.com/

Apparently this sunspot is 60% the size of the sunspot that caused the Carrington event according to spaceweather.com. 

"AR3590 is now the largest sunspot of Solar Cycle 25. For comparison, it is now 60% as large (by surface area) as the great sunspot that caused the Carrington Event in Sept. 1859. Even a 60%-intensity Carrington Event occuring today could cause problems for satellites, power grids, and internet connectivity. That's why forecasters are carefully watching this sunspot.

Last week, AR3590 unleashed three X-flares in rapid succession, including the strongest flare of the current solar cycle (X6.3) . Since then the sunspot has been relatively quiet, producing only a handful of low-level M-class explosions. Is it gathering itself for another X-flare? If so, the flare will be geoeffective as AR3590 is directly facing Earth"

Edited by Fishaxolotl
Formatting error

56 minutes ago, Fishaxolotl said:

Apparently this sunspot is 60% the size of the sunspot that caused the Carrington event according to spaceweather.com. 

"AR3590 is now the largest sunspot of Solar Cycle 25. For comparison, it is now 60% as large (by surface area) as the great sunspot that caused the Carrington Event in Sept. 1859. Even a 60%-intensity Carrington Event occuring today could cause problems for satellites, power grids, and internet connectivity. That's why forecasters are carefully watching this sunspot.

Last week, AR3590 unleashed three X-flares in rapid succession, including the strongest flare of the current solar cycle (X6.3) . Since then the sunspot has been relatively quiet, producing only a handful of low-level M-class explosions. Is it gathering itself for another X-flare? If so, the flare will be geoeffective as AR3590 is directly facing Earth"

i really hate what spaceweather.com has become. @arjemma , I think we talked about this website and how it went down the drain with its over the top kinda out of context comparisons and sensationlist headlines 😕 

back to this topic:

Background Flux went back to B-Levels, the Region however looks still complex(er) ? 

@mozy are there still deltas present?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fishaxolotl said:

I must be blind. Can you link directly to the article? I can't find it.

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

@mozy are there still deltas present?

He definitely still has deltas.

12 minutes ago, Adrian Kobyłecki said:

Delta spots rarely survive rotation, but at this size I would expect it to come back smaller or very rebuilt

Yes, you are very right. Deltas can fizzle out quick but new ones tend to regrow where they are.

On 2/23/2024 at 4:51 AM, mozy said:

Have we seen flares this big from a region like this that barely has any deltas?

If so, let me know.

It's fascinating how we can have huge regions with tight deltas basically hugging each other without anything happening and this one just casually gives us 3 X-class in 1 day while looking rather messy overall as a region.

I completely agree @mozy  The magnetic caging stuff being discussed in this thread is also very interesting to me. Awhile back in 2022 we all watched a bgd make a full transit without doing much at all!  Was really frustrating to say the least.  I missed your earlier comment. Just saw it now. Playing catch-up.  Mike 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Catching up

With how the region currently looks & evolves I wanna say I expect further X-flaring, unless it just decides to decay without anything.

Edited by mozy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mozy said:

With how the region currently looks & evolves I wanna say I expect further X-flaring, unless it just decides to decay without anything.

I'm also expecting something above X, even above X 10. Pretty naive, I know. But a beautiful idea.:rolleyes:

Edited by Wolf star

3 minutes ago, Wolf star said:

I'm also expecting something above X, even above X 10. Pretty naive, I know. But a beautiful idea.:rolleyes:

I mean It's not impossible given the regions history, but I'll take anything :D