Region 3590

Ingolf

Looks like a long-duration flare now onset. Just looked at GOES SUVI and this flare at first glance looks eruptive - bright material moving in the southern part as many of you already said.

Edited by MeteoLatvia

13 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

yes this is something i actually fully remember we've talked about :) 

Have you seen that the northwestern region flared at the same time? Are they connected in some way?

I see a pretty decent CME leaving the northwest region but already on LASCO C2 so curious what caused that CME 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Justanerd said:

I see a pretty decent CME leaving the northwest region but already on LASCO C2 so curious what caused that CME 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Oh, now im confused. is it small or not now?

Just now, mozy said:

Agree, doesn't look impressive, I'm just glad we have some M-flare activity again, been like 30 hours since last one 😅

have you looked at lasco?

4 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

That’s from behind the W/NW limb. Dense, but slow event

the one starting at 16:36 in lasco too? i see one around 14UTC and after 16UTC so i thought thats the one from this flare. oops my bad?

• Like 1

Just now, MinYoongi said:

the one starting at 16:36 in lasco too? i see one around 14UTC and after 16UTC so i thought thats the one from this flare. oops my bad?

It’s a filament lift south of AR3586 

Just now, Jesterface23 said:

There were two different filament eruptions. One over the limb and one on the limb.

Yup SDO finally loaded so I could see that - thanks!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

why? 😕 Oh

Because the flare is near the center of the sun, big CMEs only happen on the limb.

But seriously, the coronal dimming in in the SUVI images looks pretty minor. Just because there is some slight dimming does not mean there will be a substantial CME. There was some slight dimming following the X6 flare too, but I couldn't see any CME in the coronagraph images.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

A net positive. Love it!  Outta likes and laughs darnit. Haha

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

Can flares do that? 

I would react with a like but ive run out 😆

3590 is pretty pricey on the likes :D

at first glance that snap looked pretty good

Edited by cheebee

29 minutes ago, Parabolic said:

I've been keeping track of simultaneous flares or 'sympathetic flaring' and I'm fairly certain it happens when a regions boundary line is in close proximity to another and/or a filament connects two boundaries. I made a rough example with this current flare and drew a line through the filament in 171-304aia region to region. Lastly I used SWPC synoptic map and drew in the same filament channel over the depicted boundary lines.

Screenshot_20240225-110305~2.png

Screenshot_20240225-110535~3.png

Screenshot_20240225-110905~3.png

Perceptive and very cool! 

• Like 1