Region 3590

Ingolf

On 2/28/2024 at 12:54 PM, AurorahunterPA said:

Very nice long duration flare, reminds me of the one from last year in april but doesn't seem earth directed enough to do much. Of course she waits for that LOD. Hoping I am pleasantly surprised. 

Thank you for calling it a $$@@AurorahunterPA  mercurial and seems  unpredictable.  Not that our Male designees have been any less troublesome to us or disappointing….  Ok. Sure. Im removing my post on hindsight because we probably shouldn’t name Hurricanes after prominent public politicians either.  Re:  Hurricane Hilary.   

Edited by hamateur 1953
Hurricanes in N hemisphere

59 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Still climbing down veeery slowly. what exactly causes Long duration events to be slower in the comedown?

I think it's the post-flare arcades. At least in this one. It's still very hot.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by helios
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 10:33 AM, MinYoongi said:

i really hate what spaceweather.com has become. @arjemma , I think we talked about this website and how it went down the drain with its over the top kinda out of context comparisons and sensationlist headlines 😕 

Yes we sure did and I really do agree. It's very sad what spaceweather.com have become the last few years. I really do hope that they will turn down their excitement when it comes to things like this.

I took a small break from space weather as I was so disappointed in this region haha. The aurora season here in Sweden has been really bad (bad weather and not that many CME hits)...
I took a breather and now I'm back and ready to be disappointed again by another region 😂

EDIT: I see that this region has a pretty nice long eruption, at least that's something. Good job 3590 for waiting to the limb, much appreciated...

Edited by arjemma

1 hour ago, Parabolic said:

Post eruption arcade loops emit tons of hard x-rays 

Sure looks that way from the 131 angstrom ( teal) recent photos on SWL!  It’s still high end C class over 1.5 hrs later  edit:  For any Hams reading this. On dx maps there appears to be widespread Es currently.  I see where a ham in Oklahoma shows a contact with Jordan on 50 mhz. Probably not F2. Incredible if true.  No doubt this flare is contributing to this.   Nothing in Seattle as is typical…. I realise this is off-topic so I will post in the ham section further developments. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 2

Either I'm too late or same luck as hamateur 1953.  Tuned around 50.525 with nothing in any direction with my hexbeam.  Maybe we're too far north?  All the luck seems to be in the midwest.  Nothing here in downeast Maine!

3 hours ago, WA1ZJL said:

Seems like it always is.  Realized should have checked 52.525 but that's dead too.  Guess I'm getting old!  

I’m 71 this year.  Certainly not too old to get a kick out of working rare DX! 73. Mike N7ORL  Edit: If I am reading solar soft’s start/end/ max times correctly that M flare was just under three hours in duration, a considerable time of which it was in the M region as we all saw.   Cool.  Something interesting anyway.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
Duration

arjemma
"Good job 3590 for waiting to the limb, much appreciated..."  

One o' dese days, an' it won't be long,
I'll call yo' number an' you'll be gone.
Flare thee well, O LOD-lover, flare thee well.

-with apologies to Big Dinky

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

If I am reading solar soft’s start/end/ max times correctly that M flare was just under three hours in duration, a considerable time of which it was in the M region as we all saw.   Cool.  Something interesting anyway.  

SWPC hasn't yet logged or determined the duration of the M1.5 flare.  The slow rise time may not have triggered automatic detection, and it requires manual analysis.

But the M1.5 flare duration has been calculated here on spaceweatherlive as a 4hr 51minute duration flare.

Differences in how the pre-flare background flux level is determined can result in different durations.

Edited by Drax Spacex
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 9:14 PM, Philalethes said:

Here is a post from last year with reference to a paper and a plot to visualize the general relationship between CME speed and deflection angle at 1 au; there are of course complicating factors too, like how different Solar wind conditions will affect it as well, but it should be a useful heuristic.

Thank you very much! Very interesting material. :)

Is it true that AR 3950 is coming back mid march and could it produce a powerful Enough CME to fry the power grid, im really worried about it and i keep just finding myself read more articles about and i keep scaring myself and i want it to stop

10 uren geleden, Sayv678 zei:

Is it true that AR 3950 is coming back mid march and could it produce a powerful Enough CME to fry the power grid, im really worried about it and i keep just finding myself read more articles about and i keep scaring myself and i want it to stop

That’s not certain, sunspot regions change continuously and its transit in the farside of the sun is around 14 days so a lot can happen. Big regions can survive a rotation so it can come back. 

and no, nothing to worry about. It’s normal space weather and won’t bring down the grid. The grid is adapted to survive severe geomagnetic storming.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sayv678 said:

🤦

15 hours ago, Sayv678 said:

IF that were to happen i have a question for you... what would/could you do?
unplug your stuff and enjoy the auroura maybe...
that kind of fear is a kind of distraction, dear person :)
even if it did happen, which is unlikely, tho perhaps vaguely possible, we'd still have our day to day affairs to take care of, and in the meantime i still need to get a cat to the vet and a letter posted, i also have to put the trash out... these mundane things are FAR more pressing atm, im sure you have some SUPER important yet totally mundane stuff too.
:P go to a mirror, look yourself deep in the eyes and say.. 'stop it, you!'
and then read some more articles cos good info is good
but look for the good stuff

this is probably a good place to start

be good have fun God bless and at every available good opportunity

enjoy the show :)

Edited by cheebee
last thought

I don’t understand the fear.  Makes no sense worrying about what the sun is going to do.  The Earth’s protective magnetic field is pretty effective and at any rate, I’m kinda looking forward to the end of the world as we know it.  Lots and lots of other things to worry about if you’re into that. 

• Like 1