Region 3590

Ingolf

12 minutes ago, Sunboi said:

Oh boy! It’s getting closer to the limb! Get ready to the most eruptive X class flare of the solar cycle! 

Don't take off your pants, the ford is still far.:P

Everyone would want an X eruption from the area in the center of the disc. However, the sun is indifferent to our wishes.8)

14 minutes ago, Sunboi said:

Oh boy! It’s getting closer to the limb! Get ready to the most eruptive X class flare of the solar cycle! 

Sorry in advance, my ignorance will be showing. It is exciting that it’s nearing the limb (edge of visible disk?) because we can better observe an eruption or because an eruption is more likely to be strong and earth directed? I know very little of any of this- but I imagine it is the former and not the latter- so ignore me if you don’t pity a fool. 

8 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

There seems to be a decent delta coming together on the north side of the center negative spot clusters.

If we're going to get a good geomagnetic storm from a CME out of the region, we may only have about 2 days left for it to do something.

I was noticing the same thing and hoping for the entire center mass to be ejected in our direction soon.  It has been as quiet as Mt St. Helens was here in May of 1980. Let’s hope this is a similar event.  

1 minute ago, Adrian Kobyłecki said:

Photo of AR3590 taken yesterday. You can see that the sun is tilted at a slight angle. Does this mean that a more southern CME from this region would be more beneficial for us.

A photo of the Sun from Earth is all about orientation. If the camera was rotated in the right way, it could match SDO.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I was noticing the same thing and hoping for the entire center mass to be ejected in our direction soon.  It has been as quiet as Mt St. Helens was here in May of 1980. Let’s hope this is a similar event.  

Which Center Mass do you mean? is there a filament? Sorry if im misunderstanding you.

Mt St.Helens joke was very good btw :D 

18 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

If we're going to get a good geomagnetic storm from a CME out of the region, we may only have about 2 days left for it to do something.

Do you mean because of its approach to the western limb?

54 minutes ago, Adrian Kobyłecki said:

Photo of AR3590 taken yesterday. You can see that the sun is tilted at a slight angle. Does this mean that a more southern CME from this region would be more beneficial for us.

20240226_175547.jpg

Screenshot-2024-02-26-190103.jpg

49 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Do you mean because of its approach to the western limb?

Also called:

The Limb of Disappointment

Edited by Solar_Marcel

3 hours ago, WhereingtonEvent said:

Sorry in advance, my ignorance will be showing. It is exciting that it’s nearing the limb (edge of visible disk?) because we can better observe an eruption or because an eruption is more likely to be strong and earth directed? I know very little of any of this- but I imagine it is the former and not the latter- so ignore me if you don’t pity a fool. 

It just seems that we constantly get explosive flares as the sunspots transition to the limb and out of a geoeffective position.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Solar_Marcel said:

Screenshot-2024-02-26-190103.jpg

Also called:

The Limb of Disappointment

Unless I am incorrect the west and east limbs received those monikers from @MinYoongi a couple of years ago..  good designations imho Mike   In reply to her question, I was thinking only of the “ magnetically caged” portion so to speak between the polarities in the center of 3590 that really wants to leave our way but is presently under restraint due to either its surface proximity as suggested by @Justanerdor maybe it’s just waiting for the LOD. Naturally I’m with all of y’all and really want a decent CME.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
CME
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

5 minutes ago, willow said:

it's one big delta at this point and this lack of activity is really strange for a region with a complexity like this

Expected from earth facing regions this cycle tbh, all of them are behaving the same 😜

:D

12 minutes ago, Wolf star said:

Start the countdown!
Three two one...💣

22:30 UTC, if nothing happens by then, please close the topic and update the photo of the solar disk

edit: please set this photo as current in case of no AR reaction

image.png

Edited by Adrian Kobyłecki
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

This region is so complex, I can hardly believe it's been 24 hours since any noteworthy activity and that they took X-flare probs down to 10. Really odd for something so large and unstable. I'm hoping so hard that this eerie quiet is a build up for a whopper. 

Edited by AurorahunterPA