Region 3590

Ingolf

6 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

i wonder whats causing the sudden uptick, especially after reading it alledegly is in decay (or not, im unsure, i did not look at old pictures yet)

I'm seeing it could have two small delta points, but I'm not very sure.

15 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

They just all forget that eclipse season is starting again and GOES-16 was briefly out. GOES-18 (secondary) has the flare recorded and can always be enabled when viewing the 3 day graph on the site/app. We also switch to secondary when primary goes out for the values below the graph and in our alerts so they are always accurate. Had to explain this several times today 🙈

This actually leads me to a different (totally off-topic) question: How the heck do the GOES series satellites, in geostationary orbit, even monitor the sun at night?  Is geostationary orbit far enough out that the satellites aren't actually in Earth's shadow at night?  I can't for the life of me picture how this works.

46 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

another flare may be in progress

These recent flares seem less like actual flares and more like lower-frequency undulations in UV intensity, sort of background turbulent frothing rather than shock impulses.  To me that region looks analogous to a dormant super-volcano, just huge amounts of potential for a massive explosion, but unlikely to ever be realized, at least until it gets to the limb.

6 minutes ago, NEAurora said:

This actually leads me to a different (totally off-topic) question: How the heck do the GOES series satellites, in geostationary orbit, even monitor the sun at night?  Is geostationary orbit far enough out that the satellites aren't actually in Earth's shadow at night?  I can't for the life of me picture how this works.

These recent flares seem less like actual flares and more like lower-frequency undulations in UV intensity, sort of background turbulent frothing rather than shock impulses.  To me that region looks analogous to a dormant super-volcano, just huge amounts of potential for a massive explosion, but unlikely to ever be realized, at least until it gets to the limb.

Dont mention the limb, ar3590 can hear you....haha.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NEAurora said:

Is geostationary orbit far enough out that the satellites aren't actually in Earth's shadow at night?

Yep, exactly. It's not that strange if you think about it, since geostationary orbit is ~35,786 km above the equator, while Earth's radius is just ~6370 km. If we e.g. consider one of the solstices, we get a distance from the ecliptic as the satellite passes directly behind Earth at Solar midnight of: (~35,786 + ~6370 km) * sin(23.44°) = ~42,156 km * ~0.4 = ~16,862 km.

If you then consider how far from the ecliptic you have to be get a view of the entire Solar disc at a given distance behind Earth it becomes a fairly straightforward trigonometric problem, but since 1 au is overwhelmingly large relative to all the other lengths involved, the angle becomes so small that in practical terms you would hardly need to be much farther from the ecliptic than the radius of Earth itself; by my calculations you'd only need to be ~80 km farther from the ecliptic at the distance in question, and since ~16,862 km is over 10,000 km farther from the ecliptic the Solar disc is easily visible.

That's of course the best case scenario; closer to the equinoctes you'd have a period where the satellite passes directly behind Earth at night, thus eclipsing the disc: the GOES eclipse season.

Edited by Philalethes
typo, correction
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

57 minutes ago, Fishaxolotl said:

I'm half expecting a X40+ flare when this goes over the limb

It'll pop off a bunch of X10+ allllll the way around the far side, then conveniently calm down when it reaches the edge once more.

Seems to be that way lately, that’s for sure.  🤣

1 hour ago, nestex3236 said:

It'll pop off a bunch of X10+ allllll the way around the far side, then conveniently calm down when it reaches the edge once more.

2 hours ago, nestex3236 said:

🤫

You’ll jinx it!  I need big aurora for this weekend!  I’m taking a vacation up north.

• Haha 1

is there any explanation why this region can't launch any CME? it's really strange considering its complexity and activity. it has previously happened to some regions as far as i know, but are there any researches on why can't even a major flare release any CME?

edit: well i read a research and scientists believe it's related to the region's magnetic flux

Edited by willow
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, willow said:

is there any explanation why this region can't launch any CME? it's really strange considering its complexity and activity. it has previously happened to some regions as far as i know, but are there any researches on why can't even a major flare release any CME?

Magnetic caging 

NASA’s SDO Reveals How Magnetic Cage on the Sun Stopped Solar Eruption - NASA

• Thanks 1