CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

Unspecified geomagnetic activity

Isatsuki San
Message added by Sam Warfel,

Use this thread to discuss any minor questions or unspecified geomagnetic activity. 

For discussion of expected inbound CMEs, or noticeable geomagnetic storms, please create new threads (“X2 CME prediction”, “G3 storming”)

Thank you!

15 minuten geleden, Justanerd zei:

I wish I could explain it but I didn’t screenshot it so… on stackplot all the values had gone whack lol and kiruna the jump to +300 looked really weird - I’ll settle for “it was just your imagination “ since I don’t have proof 🤷‍♂️

I did, haha.

I think what you mean is the numbers and lines changed?

One is taken around 1600 ut and the other one around 1800

20240213_202630.jpg

1 uur terug, MinYoongi zei:

Kiruna is normal? not even G1 or anythingcd31505e18e0ca8c755e05a483bb7712.png same with stackplot i dont really see anything weird there?

Just a positive deflection, not only on Kiruna but also on stackplot. Deflections can be sometimes positive but those don’t generate aurora. So nothing abnormal going on.

4 hours ago, Malisha Reuvekamp said:

I did, haha.

I think what you mean is the numbers and lines changed?

One is taken around 1600 ut and the other one around 1800

20240213_202630.jpg

Yup that’s it!!!

I see what they did - they completely changed station numbers 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Justanerd
Edited to add enlightenment

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Looks like an impact of some sort. Filament release from the 21st?

possible! Btw, do you know why the DST is +40 for the last 4 days? i suspect some error :D cuz stackplot, kiruna etc are all normal. i also know a few years back (2-3?) a station was broken and it resulted in abnormal values. i wrote about this in another topic (in other i think) and received no answer sadly.

20 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Btw, do you know why the DST is +40 for the last 4 days? i suspect some error :D cuz stackplot, kiruna etc are all normal. i also know a few years back (2-3?) a station was broken and it resulted in abnormal values. i wrote about this in another topic (in other i think) and received no answer sadly.

I have no idea. Looks like it's been hovering around 50-60 for the most part. Could very well be some kind of error indeed, hard to say.

3 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

¡posible! Por cierto, ¿sabes por qué el horario de verano es +40 durante los últimos 4 días? Sospecho que hay algún error :D porque stackplot, kiruna, etc., son todos normales. También sé que hace unos años (¿2-3?) una estación se rompió y resultó en valores anormales. Escribí sobre esto en otro tema (en otro, creo) y lamentablemente no recibí respuesta.

oh yes I remember, I think remember that it was in 2021, I was awake due to my insomnia at that time and it was 9 am UTC and the kiruna station was mounting a G5 for 12 hours I think I remember Obviously it was showing incorrect values but you don't know how scared I was at that moment.

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

It is the filament arrival.

I was already wondering if what I was seeing was an impact on the values of bt and bz

Edited by Isatsuki San
something to specific

14 minutes ago, Justanerd said:

Apparently satellite feeds to NOAA have gone down and no pertinent auroral activity data is available 😡

It's available on the SWPC site at least

Or hmm... Not any more. ACE should be back soon hopefully.

1 minute ago, Kayla Bisson said:

Another spike today, wind and density this time - what's causing these short blasts? What kind of aurora can they cause?

ACE is just having some sort of daily bad data. It should go back to normal shortly.

19 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Well, it is the one day where it is going to take a while.

?

To me all data looks nominal. Maybe adjusted by now. And yes I agree with Jester, ACE has hiccups.

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

Looks like a decent hit, but fairly slow. If the Bz can stay negative I guess we might see some geomagnetic activity.

looks like it will stay negative, is this a flux rope? SWL said on facebook its due to a filament eruption but i dont know which one to be honest so i dont know what to expect (a core etc) maybe @Jesterface23 knows it :)