Unspecified geomagnetic activity

Isatsuki San
Message added by Sam Warfel,

Use this thread to discuss any minor questions or unspecified geomagnetic activity. 

For discussion of expected inbound CMEs, or noticeable geomagnetic storms, please create new threads (“X2 CME prediction”, “G3 storming”)

Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

No se esperaría que una CME que tarda 4 días en llegar produzca una buena tormenta geomagnética. Es casi por casualidad que interactuó con un CH y un Bz negativo para que esto suceda.

En comparación, el impacto del FMI en Sudáfrica fue de ~7,5 nT. Cinco horas más tarde, las interacciones de los CH ayudaron a alcanzar una fuerza del FMI de casi 20 nT.

Y si hay una cuerda de flujo, existe la posibilidad de que la actividad continúe. O cuando el HSS se active por completo, la actividad podría detenerse rápidamente. No muy seguro.

Okay, but it won't go beyond g3 for you even if the flux rope arrives?

Right now it seems to be calming down quite a bit though, but we'll see how it develops, it takes time for the magnetosphere to both charge and to relax, so additional influx of energy could more easily lead to more storming now that it's already excited.

2 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Me recuerda un poco a la sorpresa que nos llevó el G4 en circunstancias similares, también alrededor de abril, que si no recuerdo mal también fue una combinación de un SIR y un CME que no fue muy notable (tal vez alguien recuerde mejor las circunstancias exactas). Probablemente también sea de ayuda el hecho de que todavía estamos relativamente cerca del equinoccio (incluido el efecto RM, que se espera que ocurra para el equinoccio de marzo para el FMI hacia el Sol, exactamente lo que se obtiene de los CH negativos ).

I do remember the surprise of g4, but it was a slightly different situation, it was a cme caniball along with a Corona Hole

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

I do remember the surprise of g4, but it was a slightly different situation, it was a cme caniball along with a Corona Hole

If I recall correctly there were two G4s in relatively close succession (separated by a month or so), and for one of them I believe there hadn't been forecasted any notable CME activity, so maybe you're talking about the other one; I must admit I don't remember the circumstances exactly.

5 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Si mal no recuerdo, hubo dos G4 en una sucesión relativamente cercana (separados por aproximadamente un mes), y para uno de ellos creo que no se había pronosticado ninguna actividad CME notable , así que tal vez estés hablando del otro; Debo admitir que no recuerdo exactamente las circunstancias.

The two g4 that you are talking about are the first was from the cme canniball together with the coronal hole and the other was a month ago I think, where it was a cme that arrived ahead of time and the impact caused a g4, those were the two situations in this solar cycle, or  I don't know if you are talking about another solar cycle

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

Are you clear? :) 

Yep, clear skies but the big substorm occurred 30-60 minutes before it got dark so I missed it all, only managed to see very faint green & purple through camera and gave up after nothing more happening after 1-2 hours because temperature dropped to -4 🙄

• Sad 1

Hope the storm lasts and we get a south Bz shift since our skies are supposed to clear up going into nightfall. It's been far too long since we got to see aurora here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

The two g4 that you are talking about are the first was from the cme canniball together with the coronal hole and the other was a month ago I think, where it was a cme that arrived ahead of time and the impact caused a g4, those were the two situations in this solar cycle, or  I don't know if you are talking about another solar cycle

I had to check the records to be sure, but both G4s I'm talking about were last year (2023) around the same equinox as this one. First was early on March 24, and the second one was April 23-24, reaching G4 twice during that storm. I remember there was a big ruckus during the second one due to how we'd already had one a month before, but I can't remember exactly which of them had the circumstances I was thinking of.

• Like 1

Hey got to see something at least… A little bit of red and green and then it disappeared. Didnt last more than 5 minutes after I arrived at the field. Sucks that it takes so long now to get dark.. Gotta see what I can squeeze out of the raw footage bcs it was so faint its barely visible

half central Russia is shining! some central regions including south Moscow (i live in northern unfortunately) have no clouds and the aurora spread to 40 geomagnetic latitude, as far south as Crimea during one of the substorms

Edited by tniickck
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

I had to check the records to be sure, but both G4s I'm talking about were last year (2023) around the same equinox as this one. First was early on March 24, and the second one was April 23-24, reaching G4 twice during that storm. I remember there was a big ruckus during the second one due to how we'd already had one a month before, but I can't remember exactly which of them had the circumstances I was thinking of.

Yes. The April 23-24 2023 will always be the one that got away for me. I saw a clearing in cloud cover on radar an hour and half south of me in southern Rhode Island, USA and nearly put my kid in the car to go check it out. Had a very specific spot in mind and refreshed social media and radar all night looking to see if anyone saw anything. 

Next morning I saw a local photographer took the trip to the exact spot I was contemplating. Giant green pillars over the ocean in his photos. I have spent all nighters chasing since and only ever captured red glow at my latitude. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owenb0576 said:

Is there a chance at another storm?

Its not very likely but if we did I doubt it would be more than G1. We may see some transient influences from ICME's passing near Earth or of we're lucky a grazing in the next 24-48 hours.

3 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

Looking back, the flux rope may have started 8 or 9 hours after the shock arrival.

Yep, looks like it. Apart from the By moving a bit towards the end it seems like a fairly linear movement from positive to negative, with the Bz curving from 0 to negative and back to 0; an ESW rope, in other words.

7 hours ago, owenb0576 said:

G1 reached. Will it last into night for America? 

It will probably be sporadic for the next 24 hours at most. That's if bz trends southward for an extended period of time.

12 hours ago, Parabolic said:

It will probably be sporadic for the next 24 hours at most. That's if bz trends southward for an extended period of time.

Northern lights apparently were visible last night from ny but not visible to naked eye. 

Yeah I saw some aurora all night recently without realizing what I was looking at. I thought they were clouds and I live in a low light pollution area of the world and have a bit of a trained eye as I've been fascinated with them since I was a kid (living in a great place to catch them occasionally) and have seen them literally over a hundred times. The only light that was out was the full moon but that more often then not makes them mimic clouds to the eye. I needed to stare for a while to confirm they were actually pulsing.

• Like 1