CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

Unspecified geomagnetic activity

Isatsuki San
Message added by Sam Warfel,

Use this thread to discuss any minor questions or unspecified geomagnetic activity. 

For discussion of expected inbound CMEs, or noticeable geomagnetic storms, please create new threads (“X2 CME prediction”, “G3 storming”)

Thank you!

3 hours ago, cgrant26 said:

Are we seeing an arrival of something at L1 or is DSCOVR having a hiccup?

17 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

633km/s spike. ACE was having one of its brief moments.

Maybe CIR from a CH HSS? Both ACE and DSCOVER have identical wind and mag. data.

33 minutes ago, Parabolic said:

Maybe CIR from a CH HSS? Both ACE and DSCOVER have identical wind and mag. data.

It is a CH HSS, but ACE had the clear bad data with 100km/s over DSCOVR and bad IMF data during the spike. The CIR just about fully ended around 20:00Z.

24 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

There was a CME on the 29th, and that travel time would pair well with the current velocities.

Oh, i guess i missed it. thank you jester! did noaa/nasa miss it too?

Last update states "

A mix of transient and CH HSS effects are likely to lead to variable
geomagnetic responses 02-03 May from quiet periods to active levels.
Dependent upon the 01 May CME transit and path, geomagnetic response
could escalate to active levels later on 04 May, with a chance of G1
(Minor) storm levels. This CME continues to be analyzed for a final
determination of geoeffective potential."

wouldnt 3 days be a bit generous for ~300 kms? 

9 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

wouldnt 3 days be a bit generous for ~300 kms?

72 hour travel times can roughly bring up to 475km/s solar wind velocities.

I don't exactly know when the CME launched, but going back to the start of the 29th would be 84 hours with roughly maximum solar wind velocities of 425km/s.

Posted (edited)

Sharp of Bt from 10 to over 20nT with similar sharp Bz nearly to -20nT is the largest change of parameters since last G4-storm in March. Even during G3 on April 19th total strenght of magnetic field was weaker (but stable for almost day). Unfortunatelly, now we're approaching to northward Bz. End of show? I've hope that is only short-term fluctuactions.

Edited by AndrewB

Posted (edited)

Mercy. Europe  at kp 5 already. Broad daylight in America.  Will we ever get a break??   A sense of humour is practically mandatory in the CME waiting game.   Even at Kp 7 change can obliterate a show in minutes as I know only too well.  Haha! 

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Adrian Kobyłecki said:

I hope that the parameters will remain the same in the next hour and a half

Gotta be at least 4 hours for me still. I hope values stay like this for a loooong time. Wish you best of luck with aurora though, hope it doesnt decide to troll now!

1 hour ago, AndrewB said:

Sharp of Bt from 10 to over 20nT with similar sharp Bz nearly to -20nT is the largest change of parameters since last G4-storm in March. Even during G3 on April 19th total strenght of magnetic field was weaker (but stable for almost day). Unfortunatelly, now we're approaching to northward Bz. End of show? I've hope that is only short-term fluctuactions.

it turned south again. maybe @Landon Moeller can help us figure out if we're seeing a flux rope (and maybe even tell us its orientation) or if this impact is a CH HSS with mushed up CME bits.

i forgot to mention @arjemma and @Jesterface23. theyre great at this too 🙂 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

it turned south again. maybe @Landon Moeller can help us figure out if we're seeing a flux rope (and maybe even tell us its orientation) or if this impact is a CH HSS with mushed up CME bits.

i forgot to mention @arjemma and @Jesterface23. theyre great at this too 🙂 

No flux rope yet, and probably not for many more hours, given this is a slow CME. Although given the strength, I do expect a flux rope at some point in some capacity.

• Like 1