Unspecified geomagnetic activity

Isatsuki San
Message added by Sam Warfel,

Use this thread to discuss any minor questions or unspecified geomagnetic activity. 

For discussion of expected inbound CMEs, or noticeable geomagnetic storms, please create new threads (“X2 CME prediction”, “G3 storming”)

Thank you!

57 minutes ago, auclectic said:

They're two different satellites, likely just the distance in between them and position in relation to the sun.

ACE is also much older and has gone through some powerful solar phenomena 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Parabolic said:

ACE is also much older and has gone through some powerful solar phenomena 

Yes! Lol launched in the late 90s and only expected to last 5 years. Dscovr was 2015. Could be just updated technology :)

27 minutes ago, willow said:

really fascinated how we've got a G2 from some minor solar activity, while getting nothing from X flares and other CMEs from M flares also avoided us.. It's the first time photographing an aurora. Was exactly above my head and i could see it with my eyes (but not green). so much fun :) also later could even see some green from a city with an insane light pollution which has blown my mind a little

I'm thinking maybe there was something in the data gap late 2/28 early 2/29. There was a minor flare from an unassigned region, then data gap, then a few lackluster flares. Nothing that I'd expect to cause a long duration storm like this. 

15 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Dankeschön :) Liebe grüße aus NRW. / Спасибо.

O, my friend! Useful information! Thank you. ( Mein Freund, nützliche Informationen für uns alle. Danke)

1 hour ago, Balerion said:

Is it normal to get G2 with that current activity we just had?
Sorry new here and learning on the way. 

Well, it depends on what you mean. The CME itself wasn't exactly spectacular, relatively slow; but the Bt was strong enough, and the persistent negative Bz means it hit just right during most of the early impact.

So for a CME like that in general it's probably not that common, but when it hits that well and the Bz matches up perfectly for several hours it's not surprising to reach G1-G2.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

Hello colleagues, I come to revive this forum a little, does anyone know why the bt is at 17 and the bz at 8 north, also the density sometimes increases with 21 and the solar wind runs at 450?

Supposedly from “co-rotating interactive regions” or CIRs per post on spaceweather.com earlier

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Justanerd said:

Supuestamente de “regiones interactivas co-rotativas” o CIR por publicación anterior en spaceweather.com

Thank you very much for answering me, and if that could be it, it makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Sayveon Barber said:

How big does a cme have to be to actually cause significant damage 

we should talk about geomagnetic storm, not really the cme. if you know what is Dst index, i would assume that storm with values of -1000 dst and more would be dangerous for some polar power grids nowadays. last time this happened in 1859. if you talk about significant damage to countries as far south as USA and Europe, it is nearly impossible, trust me, because the power systems are evolving rapidly nowadays and they are decently protected from such events, absolutely no need to worry about something, and the storm has to be EXTREMELY strong to influence any grids as far south as USA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sayveon Barber said:

How big does a cme have to be to actually cause significant damage 

The larger the halo, the more energy is being released. However, moderate events have a high chance of missing and dispersing too much by the time it reaches us. This is largely due to interference and resistance offered by the Sun's layers. A Carrington-level event is an empirical baseline that can be useful to determine a lower-limit, but there are other events worth noting(I can't find them right now, big headache)

The two inner planets and the Moon may "disrupt the waves" of energy before a CME arrives. The Earth's geomagnetic field is less repulsive near the poles, meaning higher latitudes exposes one to a lower threshold for a transient event like a mini EMP. Remember, the requirement for such harmful induction is a massive giga-nuclear explosion on the Sun, which possesses enough energy to compress and penetrate the Earth's ionosphere.

Moderate energy events, such as has been seen throughout SC25, tend to blend into our radiation belts after rebounding from Earth's geomagnetic field or cause radio blackouts. These are not typically a big deal and have been the norm for the past several years.

We are waiting for a massive complex of sunspots to appear, and for a feisty spot to manifest - not in hopes of significant damage, of course. The Sun deserves some attention!

• Like 1