Unspecified geomagnetic activity

Isatsuki San
Message added by Sam Warfel,

Use this thread to discuss any minor questions or unspecified geomagnetic activity. 

For discussion of expected inbound CMEs, or noticeable geomagnetic storms, please create new threads (“X2 CME prediction”, “G3 storming”)

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Andrey M said:

No data for more than 48 hours - RIP ACE?  😢

IMG_20240113_200546_092.jpg

I think ace was down for longer before

And I also think a lot of dscovr problems are due to one ground station having issues, you can look up the scheduled tracking and it matches the outages with the time the ground station is supposed to track. But that was like 2 weeks ago so idk if that’s still the answer to the current outtages

when will dscovr be replaced ?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

So it hasn't kicked the bucket just yet, good to know. Quick, someone point a 70-meter antenna at it and give us an update.

Theres Data available on another platform. BTW, ace data on swpc is back :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 2:45 AM, Adrian Kobyłecki said:

Where do these sudden jumps in parameters come from?

Screenshot_20240126_024250_Chrome.jpg

Besides ACE, DSCOVR also has some issues. Sometimes DSCOVR have issue with its Faraday Cup instrument that can also cause spikes in the data like the image is showing. Both spacecrafts is getting too old, I'm just thankful for every day they continue to work.

Another known issue with ACE is that its measuring of the density is usually way lower than it really is. So if you see the density plummet down to 0-1 p/cm3  it's often not correct. Also when looking at the graphs on SWL and the density jump from 0.5 to about 10 it doesn't automatically mean that it was a CME impact. Most times it's just a switch from ACE to DSCOVR for the data. Maybe SWL can add a text that shows which spacecraft is active in the blue information bar over the graphs? I mean this text: "With the current speed, it will take the solar wind 70 minutes to propagate from DSCOVR to Earth.". Just a sugestion.

• Like 1

At about 0030 UTC JAN 28 there was some sort of impact with the magnetosphere. This followed a colossal jump in the density reading at about 2330 UTC JAN 27. Anyone know what either is about?

41 minutes ago, Justanerd said:

At about 0030 UTC JAN 28 there was some sort of impact with the magnetosphere. This followed a colossal jump in the density reading at about 2330 UTC JAN 27. Anyone know what either is about?

Please read my comment above. It wasn’t an impact, it was data error.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, arjemma said:

Please read my comment above. It wasn’t an impact, it was data error.

Except the impact was observable on all three geospace magnetosphere movies (velocity, density and pressure) which are not based on ACE or DSCOVER data (at least per the website for those movies) as well as DST data 

edited to add: and now we have a type 2 radio event…

Edited by Justanerd
Adding

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Kayla Bisson said:

Is there a way to tell what kind of KP this might hit?

KP is a measurement from the past 3 hours. DST is a good indicator so is BT. So far it's decent spike to 20bt and bz went pretty far south to -10. AE index would be a more near-real-time measurement of global geomagnetic activity. Next most accurate measurement would be a magnetometer located close to your latitude.

I should add AE, AO - AU, AL index depending on your geographical location

Edited by Parabolic

1 minute ago, Parabolic said:

KP is a measurement from the past 3 hours. DST is a good indicator so is BT. So far it's decent spike to 20bt and bz went pretty far south to -10. AE index would be a more near-real-time measurement of global geomagnetic activity. Next most accurate measurement would be a magnetometer located close to your latitude.

I think she meant based on initial impact what to expect in the comming hours :)