Unspecified geomagnetic activity

Isatsuki San
Message added by Sam Warfel,

Use this thread to discuss any minor questions or unspecified geomagnetic activity. 

For discussion of expected inbound CMEs, or noticeable geomagnetic storms, please create new threads (“X2 CME prediction”, “G3 storming”)

Thank you!

16 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

can someone explain to me why we are seeing G2 Levels? The BZ is positive. speed? maybe because it was negative for so long?

Yeah, higher than average speed and some density, and the Bz has been mostly negative since impact earlier today in the morning. I think it just tipped G2 with some of the last negative Bz and will go down again in not too long unless the Bz goes and stays negative again, but I would guess it's more or less downhill from here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adrian Kobyłecki said:
Is there a chance that the coronal hole may affect the speed of the November 28 CME and therefore may appear much earlier?

First of all, what is up with that formatting? Surely you can tell that there's something extremely wrong with your post; if you're pasting from some translation service or whatever it might be, make sure to paste without formatting (ctrl + shift + v).

As for the question, I don't think there's any chance of that being the case, because the fast wind from the CH would not have been able to interact with any of the interplanetary medium ahead of the CME. You can more or less see this on the Enlil spiral too, where the CH is coming in way behind.

5 minuten geleden, Philalethes zei:

make sure to paste without formatting (ctrl + shift + v)

Off-Topic Tip of the day: Or just paste like always but below the text window there appears a bar indicating you pasted formatted text, you can then click “paste as plain text” to remove all formatting 👌 

the CH isn’t geoeffective so there isn’t influence on the CME. The CME might arrive earlier due to the two other minor CMEs that came before and have yet to arrive, clearing the path for the M9 CME.

21 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

Parameters did an abrupt jump @Jesterface23 Windspeed from 328 to 490

That’s just erroneous data, must be ACE data. Bt didn’t move so it’s nothing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

That’s just erroneous data, must be ACE data. Bt didn’t move so it’s nothing.

yeah, its back to the old value now.  posted this when it was still like that, sorry

i did some research and looked at ACE and DSCOVR individually, for some reason dscovr is reporting speeds in the 500s while ace is 100kms below that. weird. is ace now buggy or dscovr struggling with its faraday cage again? (but it usually only does with impacts)

4 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

When density is low, ACE is always buggy and solar wind speeds are then unreliable 

2 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Yep, ACE went down, they switched to the issued DSCOVR data, then went back to ACE when the data came back.

aah. okay. which speed data to trust in that case? I know density is always low with ace.

7 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

aah. okay. which speed data to trust in that case? I know density is always low with ace.

Pretty much when in doubt go to the SPWC solar wind page and look at ACE and DSCOVR's data individually. When both satellites are working I think the velocities are fairly similar. ACE being more reliable currently

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Pretty much when in doubt go to the SPWC solar wind page and look at ACE and DSCOVR's data individually. When both satellites are working I think the velocities are fairly similar. ACE being more reliable currently

like i explained, thats what i did. and they had a difference in the speed of about 100kms. thats why im asking whats the real value.

• Like 2