Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

I don’t think it’s spotless anymore. It looks like 3029 might be making an attempt at a comeback :) 

Or am I just seeing things? 

BTW - Hi. Newish around here. Just been reading for a while and thought I’d actually write something and say “Hi”.

Edit: darn- I hate that I have to wait for a moderator to approve my message. It’s no longer “breaking news” lol 

Edited by Jenjn
Update
  • Like 1

Wild Will and Alex: Get your telescope out, there's somethin' on that thar Sun :)

See how quickly these little critters appear?

N.

Screenshot_2022-06-09-08-45-05-1-1.jpg

On 6/8/2022 at 4:22 AM, MinYoongi said:

Sadly we can only wait! We see some looping and brightness in Stereo/SDO so maybe we're in for more activity. :)  :) !!

MinYoongi: Didn't have to wait long :) Check out new region :)

N.

8 hours ago, WildWill said:

Hiya Newbie!
I believe it has been 15 or 16 days since 3014 passed from view on the Western Limb. Unless it’s that bright spot @20 N on the east limb, IMNSHO, it’s a no show… 

And there were such high hopes for 3014. Still the largest sunspot complex of the cycle! 

It was very cool to watch through the telescope. I do recall trying out a number of filters, O III, H-alpha (8nm), continuum, Triple Band Pass, H-alpha (0.5 nm), etc…

im getting an H-alpha sun-angstrom filter, it provides a view similar to AIA 335. And then a CaK-line, which, like the Continuum filter provides a view similar to AIA 16/1700.. the Ca K-line just provides more contrast than the continuum filter.

I also tried out my (fairly new) Tele Vue 21mm ethos eyepiece. Even with only a white light filter in front of the objective, this one gave the best view/contrast. I was very impressed.

im really looking forward to the face of the sun being covered in freckles in a few days! (Seems like that’s what happened after 5/26 and a couple of weeks before.

I think I need to start keeping a journal.

Looks like I’ll get to clean all those eyepieces and filters today - that I never got around to doing yesterday…

- Larry & Alexander 

PS: Jupiter & Mars were spectacular this morning at 5 am as they continue to separate- I wonder if that has something to do with the spotless face today? Hmmm…

-Will

Wasn’t it spotless yesterday on the side we see? There was that smudge briefly in the afternoon (Texas Time!), but I’m not sure we could call that a sunspot. I think it disappeared when the lens in front of the sensor got cleaned… 😏

From what I have read 3014 and 3017 are still on the cards to return according to SWL returning suspots. 

Now we have a new region to keep our eyes on! :)

N.

Edited by Newbie

I see spots!!!

Isnt this awesome? Nice little complex of spots just popped up in the last couple of hours! Gotta go back outside and get a closer look! 

Hi Newbie! Did you see my last post? I’ve had the scope set up, leveled, balanced and aligned since early afternoon!

Someone nudge MinYoongi- it’s the middle of the night in Germany…

Larry & Alex

52 minutes ago, Newbie said:

No I'm afraid it's been declared spotless SFT200 and heading into 2nd day.

Sometimes the figures you read are redundant because they only get updated once a day.

N.

Hiya Newbie!!

I thought NOAA said there were 3 spots today (that was at lunchtime (Texas Time GMT-480)

L

35 minutes ago, Jenjn said:

I don’t think it’s spotless anymore. It looks like 3029 might be making an attempt at a comeback :) 

BTW - Hi. Newish around here. Just been reading for a while and thought I’d actually write something and say “Hi”.

Edit: darn- I hate that I have to wait for a moderator to approve my message. It’s no longer “breaking news” lol 

Welcome to the forums!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, WildWill said:

I see spots!!!

Isnt this awesome? Nice little complex of spots just popped up in the last couple of hours! Gotta go back outside and get a closer look! 

Hi Newbie! Did you see my last post? I’ve had the scope set up, leveled, balanced and aligned since early afternoon!

Someone nudge MinYoongi- it’s the middle of the night in Germany…

Larry & Alex

Hiya Newbie!!

I thought NOAA said there were 3 spots today (that was at lunchtime (Texas Time GMT-480)

L

L. I saw your post I thought you were still cleaning your lens!

Enjoy the new activity! 

N.

47 minutes ago, Jenjn said:

Edit: darn- I hate that I have to wait for a moderator to approve my message. It’s no longer “breaking news” 

Hello JenJn: yes we all get moderated. We accept it and learn to live with it.

From the latest EUVI image I can't see anything around 3029.

All good :)

N.

Edited by Newbie

48 minutes ago, Jenjn said:

Welcome!

41 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Wild Will and Alex: Get your telescope out, there's somethin' on that thar Sun :)

See how quickly these little critters appear?

N.

MinYoongi: Didn't have to wait long :) Check out new region :)

N.

From what I have read 3014 and 3017 are still on the cards to return according to SWL returning suspots. 

Now we have a new region to keep our eyes on! :)

N.

Is this a new AR or an old AR reemerging? Or one of the Plages we had forming spots? That was fast !:)

6 minutes ago, Yak said:

Is AR3014 coming back? or is this spot it

Not yet. This spot appeared in the middle of the sun.

I gotta say its impressive growth for only 4 hours. has anyone ever seen anything like that? as it's my first solar ramp up its the first time ever i have seen something bubble up that fast.

13 minutes ago, Yak said:

Is AR3014 coming back? or is this spot it

Howdy Yak!

I think this is a re-emergence of AR13029.  The sun is setting here, I just came in from the telescope. Three hours ago, I looked at the sun and nothing. An,hour later it was there. I had to double check on SDO to be sure it was real and it’s been growing steadily since! Quite exciting for us!

Will & Alex

8 minutes ago, WildWill said:

Howdy Yak!

I think this is a re-emergence of AR13029.  The sun is setting here, I just came in from the telescope. Three hours ago, I looked at the sun and nothing. An,hour later it was there. I had to double check on SDO to be sure it was real and it’s been growing steadily since! Quite exciting for us!

Will & Alex

Cool that you looked at it before and after the growth :) 
Why do you think its a reemergence?

2 hours ago, Jenjn said:

Hi Jennifer, Welcome!

I am very new here as well. It’s seeems a very cool place to hang out. I think you nailed it. I do believe it is a re-emergence of AR13029. I thought I was seeing,things as well.. or maybe it was some fog or something on the eyepiece… I had to do a double take and then I checked the HMI images n here…

Cheers!

Will & Alexander the Great

Ooops, Sorry JenJn, auto-correct.. 😏

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WildWill said:

Ooops, Sorry JenJn, auto-correct.. 😏

Autocorrect is like the Satan of the keyboard 😂 

34 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I gotta say its impressive growth for only 4 hours

Damn that’s fast 

8 minutes ago, WildWill said:

am very new here as well. It’s seeems a very cool place to hang out.

I guess I can say to you… welcome to the form! This place is a very cool place to hang out. people are very nice here. 

As you may know. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Cool that you looked at it before and after the growth :) 
Why do you think its a reemergence?

Hi MinYYoongi!

I think it is a re-emergence of AR13029 because I’ve been following the “magnetic regions since they were on the limb.  I look at the HMI Magnetogram and Intensitygram at least a dozen times a day… 

The last couple of hours have been like “way cool!” and very exciting! I wanted to drop a line to Newbie about it - and get back out into the back yard to check it out with different filters and magnification… It’s sunset now, just brought Alex to the park, absolutely beautiful sunset! I. Looking forward to tomorrow!

I set up my telescope for 2-3 days at a time - just re-level and realign it for each viewing session. About two or three weeks ago, I was checking out a spotless sun, three hours later, a pair of spots with great definition had popped up! It was like “way cool”!  Do you have like a sunspot alarm for when you sleep? It’s the middle of the night there isn’t it?

I hope you have a great day!

Larry & Alex

Sunspot update: it doesn’t seem too mixed as far as polarities/complexity goes, but there are small specks of opposite polarity mixed in so it could develop as it grows. As far as I know, fast-growing spots are often complex. The ring-like structure of this AR also seems to suggest to me that’s it’s somewhat complex. 

1862E7D3-67B0-4653-8BB7-E3931D091B14.jpeg

A7B72D05-8B0C-4DCF-B75E-57F936E6AA24.jpeg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Sunspot update: it doesn’t seem too mixed as far as polarities/complexity goes, but there are small specks of opposite polarity mixed in so it could develop as it grows. As far as I know, fast-growing spots are often complex. The ring-like structure of this AR also seems to suggest to me that’s it’s somewhat complex. 

1862E7D3-67B0-4653-8BB7-E3931D091B14.jpeg

A7B72D05-8B0C-4DCF-B75E-57F936E6AA24.jpeg

May i ask why the Ring like structure gives you the feeling it will get complex? Or is it just speculation? 
Im eager to see how it develops :) 

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

May i ask why the Ring like structure gives you the feeling it will get complex? Or is it just speculation? 
Im eager to see how it develops :) 

Speculation/gut feeling.  I feel like there was a relatively recent spot that was pretty complex and emerged very quickly with a ring shape, similar to this one.  I don't remember it's designation, unless it was 3014 (I checked, it was not 3014)

Edited by Orneno

1 minute ago, Orneno said:

Speculation/gut feeling.  I feel like there was a relatively recent spot that was pretty complex and emerged very quickly with a ring shape, similar to this one.  I don't remember it's designation, unless it was 3014

i dont think it was 3014, i remember that one pretty well. if you remember or find out which one, let me know! Super interested in that. 

3 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Speculation/gut feeling.  I feel like there was a relatively recent spot that was pretty complex and emerged very quickly with a ring shape, similar to this one.  I don't remember it's designation, unless it was 3014 (I checked, it was not 3014)

It certainly feels that way that the rapidly growing ring-shaped regions have a tendency to flare faster than others.

Just from the regions that I've followed from birth before.

13 minutes ago, mozy said:

It certainly feels that way that the rapidly growing ring-shaped regions have a tendency to flare faster than others.

Just from the regions that I've followed from birth before.

So there were actually similar regions like that? Recently? 😮 Mind = blown

4 hours ago, Newbie said:

I know! I didn't want it go pear shaped either! :(

BREAKING NEWS: We are saved from spotlessness. A minor miracle has occurred. Centre disc, a little south.

Roger that! Got your bogie in sight, going in to check “em out! I count 1, 2, 3.. we got multiple inbound! Maverick has got the lead, I’m in! WildWill out!

Night N!

• Haha 1