Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

15 hours ago, Orneno said:

Nice long-duration slow flare!

CDF4059A-791B-4BED-BF40-3671EF287441.jpeg

There she blows! Ain’t she a beauty! I wish I had that H-alpha filter about now!

The spots associated with the new region around 2029 are still intact and now a couple more! The S E limb looks quieter than it has been, but I’m keeping the faith! We are gonna have a very freckled face sun in the next couple of days! 

Gotta get get my optics out and acclimated, so I can tart checking it out in the next hour or so!

im so excited!  

Hope all y’all are having a great ________ !

fill in the blank for whatever it is, where ever you are!

• Like 1

I am seeing a tiny little spot dim spot, ESE of the spots labeled 3029. 

I put it about 5*W 30*S. Anyone else see this lonely little weak sunspot? On the HMI magnetogram it is right where that very small black did is, in the phage that held 2029…

3030 developing nicely! 

Cheers!

Larry & Alex

27 minutes ago, WildWill said:

To me, it appears to have more contrast and definition than first thing this morning and last evening. 

I'd say thats kinda normal because the limb is foreshortening it.

lets continue this in the thread for the region so the others are able to join the convo :) 

• Like 1

I remember hearing about there being "solar upticks" every ~6 or so months, but now that I'm looking it up again and finding... let's say, unreliable sources, I was probably misled.

That said, I didn't know this thread was pinned. Nice! 😁👍

9 minutes ago, Bedreamon said:

I remember hearing about there being "solar upticks" every ~6 or so months, but now that I'm looking it up again and finding... let's say, unreliable sources, I was probably misled.

That said, I didn't know this thread was pinned. Nice! 😁👍

Ben Davidson and his famous 5,9 months "solar uptick" bullshit. 🤣

This Thread is awesome, whenever we see something interesting on the Farside Maps or on the Limbs (Stereo, SDO) we come here to talk about how it looks, what it could bring, if its a recurrent region etc. until its like 1-2 days on the earth facing side and someone opens up a topic for it ^-^

• Like 2

Hello Yak,
If you scroll down the Solar Activity page here on SWL you'll find the map  EUVI/AIA 195 Stonyhurst Heliographic. There is an information 'i' tab, click on that.

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity.html

In addition Spaceweather.com gives a good explanation of how the far side is monitored see below.

The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory's Michelson-Doppler Imager (MDI) can monitor sunspots on the far side of the Sun using a technique called "helioseismic holography." Typical holographic maps look like this:

mdi_farside.gif

The false colors represent condensations of magnetic flux -- that is, sunspots. This holographic map captured April 12, 2001, shows the giant sunspot AR9393 on the back side of the Sun a full week before it emerged into direct view over the Sun's eastern limb. MDI holographic images reveal the Earth-facing side of the Sun 70 degrees from the disk center, and the far side of the Sun 50 degrees from disk center.

How does helioseismology work?

The Sun is a hummimg ball of sound waves launched by turbulent convective motions in our star's outer layers. "The waves we monitor [using MDI] have a period of about 5 minutes," says Phil Scherrer of Stanford University, principal investigator for the MDI instrument. "That's roughly the turn-over time of the California-sized bubbles that appear as granulation of the photosphere." Solar granulation is what excites the Sun's internal sound waves.

mdi_waves.gifSolar sound waves are mostly trapped inside our star -- they refract away from the Sun's hot core and reflect back and forth between different parts of the photosphere. (Click on the image, left, for a 1.8 Mb Quicktime movie of trapped solar sound waves.) By monitoring the Sun's vibrating surface, helioseismologists can probe the stellar interior in much the same way that geologists use seismic waves from earthquakes to probe the inside of our planet.

Intense magnetic fields around sunspots affect the transit times of sound waves bouncing from one side of the Sun to the other, variations that the MDI can detect and transform to reveal magnetic condensations (i.e, sunspots) on the hidden side of the Sun. Called "helioseismic holography," this technique can produce actual images of the far side of our star.

For more information please visit the MDI Farside Imaging home page at Stanford. See also "Acoustic Imaging the Backside of the Sun", a collection of press releases and multimedia resources. Not sure if embedded links will work. 

Finally there are NSO GONG farside images. Copy and paste the link below.

https://farside.nso.edu/

PS Anyone with more up to date or detailed info feel free to add. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

3014 seems to return yet another time. Big growth in farside images in last 24h. What do you say @3gMike

Funfact: region growing on jsoc farside map, shrinking/disappearing on gong

Yes, that large zone certainly covers the central coordinates of 3014 (Carr 104, Lat 22) which became 3032 (Carr 106, Lat 20) on last rotation. The leading edge of the zone is quite possibly a large plage area, and I would not be surprised if the zone broke up as it approaches the limb.

On 6/30/2022 at 7:37 AM, 3gMike said:

Yes, that large zone certainly covers the central coordinates of 3014 (Carr 104, Lat 22) which became 3032 (Carr 106, Lat 20) on last rotation. The leading edge of the zone is quite possibly a large plage area, and I would not be surprised if the zone broke up as it approaches the limb.

Hey 3G,

Methinks … 3014, which became 3032 and 3030 last time around! Sound right?

• 2 weeks later...