Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

19 hours ago, WildWill said:

Newbie!
It (this page) doesn’t want to let me quote…. I’ve run through my data for the month - so it’s throttled back…

when I saw the active region I had commented on, get a number the evening before last, I was stoked…. 3028. Then yesterday, it lost its number, I was really bummed! I had such high hopes for 3028,  and 3029, when they were on the limb…

AR 3029 looks to have fizzled as well… one tiny little dot!  I don’t think I will be spending much time with it today! 

it also looks to be all quiet on the western front (limb) very soon. We had a day or so week before last (?) when it was just a blank face on the sun, but within a day or two, it had bloomed like bluebonnets in April! 

A couple of days later, I was out back (not outback) and spent a couple of hours checking out the active regions in the morning and then took a break from the heat for about three hours and went back out. Low and behold, there was a brand new pair of sunspots at about 20 degrees W, 20 degrees north! That’s what makes the sun the most exciting object in the sky to look at through a telescope! It can change in a matter of minutes!  When I’ve looked at the Great Nebula of Orion (M 42), I’ve seen different things using different filters, but it hasn’t changed a bit. M42 is always the same.

Funny, I thought all y’all were checking out the sun with a telescope as well.  I thought the pictures posted were taken by the posters! I’ve only been into watching the sun for a few months. Back in the day, you focused the light from the sun onto a white piece of paper, held by a rod, behind where the eyepiece goes. It was a projection. NASA had filters, but you needed about $50k to buy one! 

I just picked up a dedicated astronomy camera, hopefully, I’ll be able to post some pictures in a couple of weeks. So, much to learn! 

No more projection! Now H-alpha & Ca K-line & H-line are accessible to the amateur. H-alpha is where al the action happens. Depending upon the band pass of the filter (>1 angstrom) you can look at the chromosphere or prominences. CaK provides a very nice view of sunspots and phages. There are also white light filters which provide nice contrast when you are checking out the spots. 

There does seem to be something happening on the east limb, along the same track as 3028 & 3029, but all the action seems to be within 20-30 degrees of the equator. What we would call the inter-tropical convergence zone here on earth. I wonder why that’s where all the action has been happening.

I don’t want to stray to far off topic…

I do have to admit, I start everyday, checking for new stuff happening on the sun…

It looks like clear skies for the next ten days here, and 100F or close to it every day. I’ll be out there staring at the sun for at least a couple of hours every day! 

The picture is Alexander the Great, my service dog - he’s much better looking than I am…  and quite the ladies ham!

Cheers!

Kealey 

Hello Kealey? :)

Sadly our 'glorious orb' looks more like a yellow pool ball with its' near featureless face just now. If in fact it does go spotless it will be the first spotless day all year! 

Two sunspots are due to return soon, 3014 and 3017. They are both in the Northern hemisphere. 

Sunspots 3028 and 3029 never amounted to much.

As 3gMike mentioned the 30º North and South latitude is usually where spots appear at the beginning of a new solar cycle. Sunspots form closer to the middle latitudes as solar maximum approaches.

Here is a link that goes some of way to explaining your questions that you might find interesting copy and paste into browser. Also wiki solar dynamo.

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast15feb_1

I'm sure there a lot of people here on SWL that are into photography. Perhaps you could start a new forum topic with some of your pics. The images posted here are usually from already published images put out by NOAA, SDO, STEREO, DSCOVR and other such instruments.

Ah bluebonnets in April! We have bluebells in Spring! :)

I start my day checking GOES Xray flux and a few other things! Sad isn't it! LOL! :)

Also if you don't want to stray off topic - start your own!

Alex is a nice dog. 

N.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

This IS my topic............ 🤨

Yes MinYoongi it definitely IS your topic and that is why I was encouraging WildWill/Kealey to start his own NEW topic so he could say the things he wanted to and not go off topic here.

Have a nice day :)

N.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 3gMike said:

At the start of a new cycle most spots will arise near 30deg latitude. As the cycle progresses they arise at lower latitudes until eventually most arise near the equator. 

If you look at the Butterfly diagram on this page https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/solar-cycle.html you will see what I mean. This is related to the action of the Solar Dynamo

https://figshare.com/articles/figure/Schematic_of_the_Solar_Dynamo/102094

3gMike,

Thanks for those links. Good stuff. So much to learn…  Sometimes, I think I’m in between the “moron” and “total idiot” levels… 😏

Looking at the uv images this morning (and the last several days), it does seem like there is a band around the equator about 40 degrees wide (high) which appears darker, with much less activity. 

Cheers!

William Lawrence Kealey 

18 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

jun4_2022_ahead.jpg

Looks good eh? :) 

I’m not so optimistic, didn’t we see similar activity for what became 3028 & 3029? And right at the same latitude?

Also, I can’t find the post, but wasn’t it determined that 3014 was a no show?

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

Are those in the top actually 2 Regions or 1 big? its really bright.

but as @Orneno pointed out last rotation, this wavelength is good at making things appear better than they are :D 

They are two separate regions, 3014 and 3017 are due to return. SFI has increased 5 units and background flux is sitting around B3 last time I looked. They appear active still.

N.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Newbie said:

They appear active still.

I hope so :) but i dont see any CME's from them, did anyone see some that could be assigned to either of them over the farside-periode? 

The south looks interesting too! 

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

I hope so :) but i dont see any CME's from them, did anyone see some that could be assigned to either of them over the farside-periode? 

The south looks interesting too! 

CME activity seemed to be southward last few days. I haven't checked CACTus yet. In saying active I meant loops of magnetism billowing over the limb. 

South region appeared more promising a few days ago.

Only flaring registered on SolarSoft lately has come from 3023 which has disappeared around the west limb.

CACTus having dummy spit at the moment! 

N.

Southern area now designated plage for now and sad to say the Sun is now SPOTLESS!

Edited by Newbie
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Thank you! So this is the first spotless day this year, right?

So it would seem unless there is a minor miracle and a spot appears out of nowhere. 

N.

15 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Great now The sun is a big violent gas ball of depression now. 

Oh dear Solarflaretracker200: I hate being the bearer of bad news.

Things can only improve.  :)

N.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

First since December - six months!

Good Afternoon, MinYoongi!

I (dis-) like this composite image from this morning AIA  094, 193, 335 (7:36, Texas Time! (GMT-480))

It shows action on the East limb, just below and above the equatorial zone, which appears as a very dark band, devoid of activity…

Its the same thing we’ve seen when 3027, 3028 & 3029 were on the incoming limb… and unfortunately, they didn’t fare so well…

Good _______ (fill in the blank) All Y’all!

- Alexander the Great

On 5/25/2022 at 1:36 PM, MinYoongi said:

Hello 🙂 ! 

Did we just get an M Class Flare from an Area of Plage? I'm not seeing any Sunspot on the Intensigram for today. 

Solar Dynamics Observatory HMI Continuum

I haven’t hit the archives, but didn’t a little pair of sunspots appear that day in the afternoon?  Perhaps we’ll have a few pop up from somewhere! Or…

8 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

On 6/7/2022 at 8:46 AM, Newbie said:

3007 was the no show, there is still hope for 3014.

N.

Hiya Newbie!
I believe it has been 15 or 16 days since 3014 passed from view on the Western Limb. Unless it’s that bright spot @20 N on the east limb, IMNSHO, it’s a no show… 

And there were such high hopes for 3014. Still the largest sunspot complex of the cycle! 

It was very cool to watch through the telescope. I do recall trying out a number of filters, O III, H-alpha (8nm), continuum, Triple Band Pass, H-alpha (0.5 nm), etc…

im getting an H-alpha sun-angstrom filter, it provides a view similar to AIA 335. And then a CaK-line, which, like the Continuum filter provides a view similar to AIA 16/1700.. the Ca K-line just provides more contrast than the continuum filter.

I also tried out my (fairly new) Tele Vue 21mm ethos eyepiece. Even with only a white light filter in front of the objective, this one gave the best view/contrast. I was very impressed.

im really looking forward to the face of the sun being covered in freckles in a few days! (Seems like that’s what happened after 5/26 and a couple of weeks before.

I think I need to start keeping a journal.

Looks like I’ll get to clean all those eyepieces and filters today - that I never got around to doing yesterday…

- Larry & Alexander 

PS: Jupiter & Mars were spectacular this morning at 5 am as they continue to separate- I wonder if that has something to do with the spotless face today? Hmmm…

-Will

11 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

I don’t think it’s considered spotless yet. It’s still 23 sunspots so wouldn’t it have to go into tomorrow to be considered a spotless day?

Wasn’t it spotless yesterday on the side we see? There was that smudge briefly in the afternoon (Texas Time!), but I’m not sure we could call that a sunspot. I think it disappeared when the lens in front of the sensor got cleaned… 😏

3 hours ago, WildWill said:

Hiya Newbie!
I believe it has been 15 or 16 days since 3014 passed from view on the Western Limb. Unless it’s that bright spot @20 N on the east limb, IMNSHO, it’s a no show… 

😏

ahead_euvi_195_latest.jpg

Its indeed bright. I do think its 3014 & 3017 returning.

I dont know if it will be active or complex. its bright and theres something, so thats good :) We will find out in ~2-3 Days when it starts to appear on our limb.

45 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

ahead_euvi_195_latest.jpg

Its indeed bright. I do think its 3014 & 3017 returning.

I dont know if it will be active or complex. its bright and theres something, so thats good :) We will find out in ~2-3 Days when it starts to appear on our limb.

Hi MinYoongi!

3gMike I of the opinion that it’s remnants of 3011 and 3014 coming into view, but either way, should it have not appeared on the limb sooner? If I am not mistaken, at that latitude (20*N) the sun completes one rotation every 27 days or so. So once a sunspot/region departs the west limb, it should reappear in about 14 days - we’re already at 15 days, I believe…

Are the sunspot groups/active regions moving on the surface of the sun, like hurricanes do, here on earth? I’ll have to give that some thought...

what about circulation cells, like those on earth? I believe the granules are basically circulation cells, and super granules, but they don’t seem organized into bands like those on earth or Jupiter…  If it did, it seems there would be a lot of “sheering” where the cells border each other. I may not be very clear here, but if you Google “Hadley Cells” or look it up on Wikipedia, you’ll see what’s mean…

I had not even considered Active Regions moving relative to the “surface”, although “longitude” on the sun can’t be really compared from one snapshot to another as the rotation rate varies with latitude. 

Hope you’re have a nice night!

Thanks.

Will & Alex

MinYoongi,

I am still hopeful, my telescope is all set up, leveled, balanced & aligned in the backyard and I’ve been checking out the SDO images every few hours😎

I was checking out a fairly boring sun one morning last month and went inside to cool off for a few hours, went back out and a nice little pair of sunspots had appeared! 

Of all the things to look at in the sky, the closest star is by far, the most exciting and dynamic object! I’ve been looking at the Great Nebula in Orion (M42) and the Great Galaxy of Andromeda (M 31) for many many years - and every time, it looks the same as it did the first time…

Thanks.

Will

8 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

I don’t think it’s considered spotless yet. It’s still 23 sunspots so wouldn’t it have to go into tomorrow to be considered a spotless day?

No I'm afraid it's been declared spotless SFT200 and heading into 2nd day.

Sometimes the figures you read are redundant because they only get updated once a day.

N.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

NOOO

I know! I didn't want it go pear shaped either! :(

BREAKING NEWS: We are saved from spotlessness. A minor miracle has occurred. Centre disc, a little south.

Screenshot_2022-06-09-08-45-05-1-1.jpg

Edited by Newbie
  • Sad 1