Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

11 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

i just dont know about the other blobs, theyre not shown here.

I suspect it depends on thresholds for classification set for this map. Notice that earthside only indicates the strong spots in the southern hemisphere and none in the northern. It is possible that the other blobs will show some activity, but they probably will not be particularly active.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

Looking huge on STEREO, and some nice loops too !

20220513_180500_n7euA_195s.thumb.jpg.1e342f75450599ed7d1171df1a1bbb49.jpg

Yep! Do you think most of it is AR? Or faculae? I try to compare it with the GONG/Jsoc maps etc but it's hard.

8 minutes ago, Orneno said:

It sure looks nice on SDO too!

What would be the best Wavelength to look at and to determine complexity/activity? 

It picked up with flaring yesterday, i noticed.

i think it looked similiar the last time it came around ❤️ 

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Thank you.

Is the region beta gamma? :D 

to me it looks more like 2-3 regions in close proximity than 1 big region

At the moment it looks like it’s a lot of faculae and two small sunspot groups, but it looks like the second farther back one may have some complexity (or, unpleasant but likely possibility, it had complex spots but has since decayed into faculae)

Edited by Orneno

12 hours ago, Orneno said:

At the moment it looks like it’s a lot of faculae and two small sunspot groups, but it looks like the second farther back one may have some complexity (or, unpleasant but likely possibility, it had complex spots but has since decayed into faculae)

Is there still more to come? 

Correct me if im wrong, but what we can see so far is alot of plage covering the area, right?

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Correct me if im wrong, but what we can see so far is alot of plage covering the area, right?

According to STEREO there is a little bit more to come, but it may just be faculae as well 

3 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

My interpretation of what we have so far is.....

latest_4096_HMIBC_may142022.jpg.9b2534d7c6535af6ed8dcb735ddb225e.jpg

There is probably more to come in a day or so - the darker blob at about Carrington 80deg

Composite_Map_2022may14.jpg.f7cf52bf1d5580a25b2eb27581f910ff.jpg

2 hours ago, mozy said:

Unless it starts flaring more often soon, my hopes will be down the drain :P

Was the M flare likely higher? Aww :( It seem to lose intensity in the farside imagery too.

did you look at it on stereo?

6 minutes ago, mozy said:

Probably a bit higher 

Hmmm.. it seems to be flaring again. Still low hope?

What about 2993/4? Do they look good? I asked this before, but theres alot of plage inbetween them right? ._.

was at a concert yesterday, need to catch up. :D 

16 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Hmmm.. it seems to be flaring again. Still low hope?

What about 2993/4? Do they look good? I asked this before, but theres alot of plage inbetween them right? ._.

Yes, my hopes will remain low unless we start getting frequent M-flares..

All regions looks kinda trash atm, 3007 is trying but struggling hard

Edited by mozy

Met Spaceweather Office :

A large CME has been observed leaving the far side of the sun earlier, indicating the presence of one or more active regions. This is also confirmed by bright flux regions visible on satellite imagery. These will need to be closely monitored over the next few days, as they gradually emerge on to the eastern limb.

Can someone talk more about this cme? Started at around 18-19 UTC. It looks big but idk if its fast or strong.. farside imagery shows some regions but idk. did someone look at Stereo A? 

11 hours ago, Orneno said:

I don’t see a big CME on LASCO

"Satellite imagery in the past 24 hours revealed some notable events, not least a downward-directed Coronal Mass Ejection (CME), however this was determined to be far-sided to no effect at Earth"

This is from Met Space Weather Office. Im so confused lol this sounds so exaggerated? Ive seen nobody really talk about that.. i saw a cme but it was slow so i didnt care about it? And nobody is talking in this thread so i dont know if we're in potentially for a treat? :D

"Some noteable events" ... ??? Did we all miss something? 😂

"A large CME has been observed leaving the far side of the sun earlier, indicating the presence of one or more active regions. These will need to be closely monitored over the next few days, as they gradually emerge over the eastern solar horizon.'

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

"Satellite imagery in the past 24 hours revealed some notable events, not least a downward-directed Coronal Mass Ejection (CME), however this was determined to be far-sided to no effect at Earth"

This is from Met Space Weather Office. Im so confused lol this sounds so exaggerated? Ive seen nobody really talk about that.. i saw a cme but it was slow so i didnt care about it? And nobody is talking in this thread so i dont know if we're in potentially for a treat? :D

"Some noteable events" ... ??? Did we all miss something? 😂

"A large CME has been observed leaving the far side of the sun earlier, indicating the presence of one or more active regions. These will need to be closely monitored over the next few days, as they gradually emerge over the eastern solar horizon.'

They may be referring to this one (No.23) from 16:00 yesterday  https://www.sidc.be/cactus/out/CME0023/CME.mp4

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Yeah. Big, but only 800 Max speed. Thats below usual launch speeds of 1000km/s and not really special? Also it may have been a filament 

I do not have enough experience to make that judgement, but it covered more than 90 degrees. Can a filament be that wide?