Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

2 minutes ago, mozy said:

For now😎

youre quite optimistic for today! :D 

31 minutes ago, mozy said:

For now😎

btw.. one of them launched a decent CME as seen in Stereo, but sadly its beacon data so im really hyped for lasco :D I mean, not earth directed. but could still be nice to look at!

32 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

@mozy the southern region seems to be flaring like crazy! Looking at Suvi and Stereo-A both regions (NE and SE) seem to be flaring, making GOES pick it up. :D  

Yeah, seems to be quite the activity back there.

17 minutes ago, mozy said:

Yeah, seems to be quite the activity back there.

Sadly the Stereo Beacon data is so ratty and i cant really see anything there. Quality is so bad, i can count the pixels basically. Do you think south or north is more interesting? I do think the South region looks fairly huge.. still didnt show up on any farside map i think, exept for this little spec: 

4f858832793e8a322f7cb2c684d68bb0.png

could that little thing be the south region visible?

44 minutes ago, Calder said:

Nice CME from this incoming region

754E6092-6E8A-40CB-A968-C8C4771D8095.jpeg

Is there already Lasco? @Orneno look how beautiful ! Thoughts?

But can we be sure its the southern region ? 

4 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

53982e1f842b537e931fb97d0de9bb4a.png

Did i maybe catch its launch? This pic was a stereo image from somewhere between 22UTC and 03UTC. I sadly dont remember right now, i would need to check on my Computer.

51 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

But can we be sure its the southern region ?

I’d say it sure looks like it. Especially since it appeared to be flaring just before and there are a lot of loops in that area. But I guess since it’s behind the limb I’m only speculating.

58 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Did i maybe catch its launch? This pic was a stereo image from somewhere between 22UTC and 03UTC.

I think you may have caught the associated flare. Also, I believe that is an SDO image not STEREO.

Looks like it could be bigger than the solar eruption that happened late on February 15 this year.. although not as fast .. looking at stereo cor 2 to compare.

https://iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov/IswaSystemWebApp/index.jsp?clear=1

Im not sure how these are rated when they don’t face us. Does that make it the biggest solar eruption this solar cycle? Or caught on modern satellite imagery?

22 minutes ago, Calder said:

I’d say it sure looks like it. Especially since it appeared to be flaring just before and there are a lot of loops in that area. But I guess since it’s behind the limb I’m only speculating.

I think you may have caught the associated flare. Also, I believe that is an SDO image not STEREO.

You are right about the SDO / Stereo mistake. Its clearly SDO. Im a bit tired 🥲

So the region sure is interesting right? It looks impressive even in Lasco (to me) .

Do you have a time for when the associated flare mustve occured? I sadly cut out the Time Stamp from my Picture, but I do believe it could be actually the Launch of this cme and I want to check. 

15 minutes ago, Bry said:

Or caught on modern satellite imagery?

What do you mean by that? Id say Lasco catched way bigger ones 😅

8 hours ago, farm24 said:

Quite bright also

hmm they always look really bright in stereo.. i wont let that fool me no more :D 

18 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

You are right about the SDO / Stereo mistake. Its clearly SDO. Im a bit tired 🥲

So the region sure is interesting right? It looks impressive even in Lasco (to me) .

Do you have a time for when the associated flare mustve occured? I sadly cut out the Time Stamp from my Picture, but I do believe it could be actually the Launch of this cme and I want to check.

We all make mistakes 😁

Yeah, the CME was quite impressive. I can’t wait to see what this region will look like. Hopefully it doesn’t decay before it gets here. 🤞

I think you did actually catch the launch. If you go to the the last couple seconds of SDO AIA 94 (48 hour video), you can see it. I believe we started seeing x-ray flux rise from this flare at 21:00 UTC.

57 minutes ago, Bry said:

Or caught on modern satellite imagery?

The CME in 2012 was probably the largest caught by modern satellite imagery.

18 minutes ago, Calder said:

We all make mistakes 😁

Yeah, the CME was quite impressive. I can’t wait to see what this region will look like. Hopefully it doesn’t decay before it gets here. 🤞

I think you did actually catch the launch. If you go to the the last couple seconds of SDO AIA 94 (48 hour video), you can see it. I believe we started seeing x-ray flux rise from this flare at 21:00 UTC.

The CME in 2012 was probably the largest caught by modern satellite imagery.

What would the earth impacts be if this CME wouldve been earth directed? 

Nice that i catched it! ^-^ 

how long until the region turns over the limb?

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

What would the earth impacts be if this CME wouldve been earth directed? 

Nice that i catched it! ^-^ 

how long until the region turns over the limb?

Hard to say what the impacts would’ve been since we don’t know the direction or strength of the field. I’d say maybe 3 days until we start seeing it. It depends on if some of it is still behind the limb (on STEREO) or not. I wouldn’t be the best person to ask on exact timing though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

What do you mean by that? Id say Lasco catched way bigger ones 😅

I guess I’ve seen a lot of coverage of the feb 15th solar eruption in the media saying it was the most significant solar prominence caught on modern cameras, and largest of this solar cycle. I don’t know what that means for the 2012 eruption but maybe they had different equipment record that one and it’s the previous solar cycle.

which one was bigger?

https://modernsciences.org/the-esas-solar-orbiter-just-captured-the-sun-in-the-middle-of-a-giant-solar-eruption/

2 minutes ago, Bry said:

I guess I’ve seen a lot of coverage of the feb 15th solar eruption in the media saying it was the most significant solar prominence caught on modern cameras, and largest of this solar cycle. I don’t know what that means for the 2012 eruption but maybe they had different equipment record that one and it’s the previous solar cycle.

which one was bigger?

https://modernsciences.org/the-esas-solar-orbiter-just-captured-the-sun-in-the-middle-of-a-giant-solar-eruption/

As you already said, it was a PROMINENCE. Meaning its a Filament liftoff. And as you can see the feb. 15 event was clearly much much bigger and faster than this farside cme.

No, we had the exact same satellites to monitor. Soho Lasco.

• Thanks 1

20220512_013500_n7euA_195.jpg

The North Region looks rather huge, but i wonder how active it really is? I do not think it caused the big CME yesterday, i think that was the south region.

Didnt anyone here said this wavelength makes regions look way bigger/more active than they are. is that true? 

Anyways, thoughts? :) Will turn to the limb in like 2 days

M1 from the northeast limb!  Extremely eclipsed, this was highly likely an upper M and maybe even an X.
This region has launched some CMEs, I'll be excited to see it rotate onto the Earth disk within the next few days.
Is this the returning 2993/2994? @Solarflaretracker200

image.thumb.png.6e9fa5a8fb9462f4df7078dd2ce3a8af.png

Sure is big and bright

image.png.308e61426d8c9b4bd1ea205420bada2d.png

17 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Anyways, thoughts? :) Will turn to the limb in like 2 days

The flare mentioned above has made me pretty interested in the region!  It was likely a pretty strong flare when not eclipsed!

9 minutes ago, Orneno said:

M1 from the northeast limb!  Extremely eclipsed, this was highly likely an upper M and maybe even an X.
This region has launched some CMEs, I'll be excited to see it rotate onto the Earth disk within the next few days.
Is this the returning 2993/2994? @Solarflaretracker200

image.thumb.png.6e9fa5a8fb9462f4df7078dd2ce3a8af.png

Sure is big and bright

image.png.308e61426d8c9b4bd1ea205420bada2d.png

The flare mentioned above has made me pretty interested in the region!  It was likely a pretty strong flare when not eclipsed!

Hmm do you really thing its that eclipsed?

also, isnt that the wavelength making things look huge? :D 

It has shrunk a little bit looking at farside imagery. but there should be a cool region coming.

i just dont agree with the occultment as much as you do

i didnt see any real interesting CME from the region.. @Orneno or did i sleep through some? :P  as i mentioned, the big CME most likely came from the southern region

latest_4096_0094.jpg

8 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

This composite map makes it a bit clearer.

Composite_Map_may12.png.959ab47dd98142a01c9ed5b0cf6b9d87.png

The large dark blob at about 15deg latitude and centred around 110 Carrington longitude compares well with the last known coordinates of 2993 (20/111) and 2994 (15/106)

yep! its also visible in the Gong Maps. Latest GONG Image

i just dont know about the other blobs, theyre not shown here.

The flare was long-duration as well I think, even eclipsed 

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

i didnt see any real interesting CME from the region.. @Orneno or did i sleep through some? :P  as i mentioned, the big CME most likely came from the southern region

Maybe I dreamed it 

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

also, isnt that the wavelength making things look huge? :D 

Yeah, it can do that, but the flare indicates it’s complex so it could be big in actuality 

12 minutes ago, Orneno said:

The flare was long-duration as well I think, even eclipsed 

Maybe I dreamed it 

Yeah, it can do that, but the flare indicates it’s complex so it could be big in actuality 

Lets hope it does not decay then. It shrank 1000 in size/strength..whatever it is in the farside map. that could be an indicator for decay, but lets not jinx it! ^-^

The loops we're now seeing, are those post eruption arcades?