AR2887 X flare and CME

Drax Spacex

11 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Estoy en el oeste de Alemania.

Es extraño ver a 2 satélites luchar y no hay explicación. Quiero dejar de tener miedo pero no puedo ...

I remind you that yesterday there was an error in the euv satellite and it was only an hour or minutes I do not remember well, but just tell him something, if it were that the discord salite had been destroyed, it would not have been the first to fall the euv (goes-16) that is literally in front of Sun?

7 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Básicamente, ahora mismo estamos obteniendo los datos normales de ACE . Es un antiguo satélite.

Hay un problema de alimentación de datos con DSCOVR . Hay datos que llegan y, de hecho, recuerdo que sucedió antes.

if it happens before, and we came back later

Edited by Isatsuki San

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

just a weird timing.

also ACE is struggling to send back data, pray 4 ace lol..

Might be far fetched, but I belive it happened around the time of daylight savings ending, can be something as simple as a groundstation switching over and not being in sync anymore. 

15 minutes ago, Larron said:

Might be far fetched, but I belive it happened around the time of daylight savings ending, can be something as simple as a groundstation switching over and not being in sync anymore. 

It happened an hour before.. so i guess thats not a reason.

I think theyre trying to fix dscovr, like 15mins ago the Solar data showed only Ace as plot, now it says ace+dscvr again but its not sending back any data. 

NOAA'S Stuff has been sketchy and slow for me all day... but I'm in Texas so it's probably just our janky power grid.

Looking for live data feeds earlier is how I found this place!

I don't know why, but this setup has me on edge too. I'm a storm chaser, and I got into the space weather stuff back in 2012 when the world was ending, and stayed because space weather absolutely 100% impacts severe weather days in my anecdotal experience.

But either way... I don't usually sit around waiting for solar storms like I have been today. Something just feels weird, but I don't have any data whatsoever to explain why I "feel" weird. I'm like nervous and slightly energetic the same way I get when the atmosphere is getting ready to explode on Tornado days or when I'm stuck in a heavy electrical storm.

There is a an international CQ contest underway this weekend on amateur radio.   Radio propagation just disappeared on 20 meters.  I was hearing stations from North America, South America, and Europe all night until just a few minutes ago.   Now I hear NO stations on 20m at all.   Propagation on 40m is still OK.  It is possible that the bulk of the CME may have just hit the ionosphere, at about 2021-10-31 02:15:00.*

Edited by Drax Spacex
* no, it wasn't the CME, just fading propagation
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

Same here but in an hour it will start gettibg day..:(

I'm so disappointed 😭
At least you can finally go bed and rest easy though 

There will always be other opportunities

Just now, Drax Spacex said:

There is a an international CQ contest underway this weekend on amateur radio.   Radio propagation just disappeared on 20 meters.  I was hearing stations from North America, South America, and Europe all night until just a few minutes ago.   Now I hear NO stations on 20m at all.   Propagation on 40m is still OK.  It is possible that the bulk of the CME may have just hit the ionosphere, at about 2021-10-31 02:15:00.

How would our satellites and magnometers miss it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

There is a an international CQ contest underway this weekend on amateur radio.   Radio propagation just disappeared on 20 meters.  I was hearing stations from North America, South America, and Europe all night until just a few minutes ago.   Now I hear NO stations on 20m at all.   Propagation on 40m is still OK.  It is possible that the bulk of the CME may have just hit the ionosphere, at about 2021-10-31 02:15:00.

How should that work? I dont know anything about Amateur Radio. 

The event hasn't even really begun and the critical questions are just flying in.

If you want to work yourselves into a state of panic, by all means. Continue.

Otherwise, the show hasn't even begun, so... maybe take your seats?

Edited by Christopher S.
Added "really" for dramatic tone
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Christopher S. said:

The event hasn't even really begun and the critical questions are just flying in.

If you want to work yourselves into a state of panic, by all means. Continue.

Otherwise, the show hasn't even begun, so... maybe take your seats?

Nobody is panicking rn... We're just asking someone *else* something about Amateur Radio.. 😧

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Christopher S. said:

I'm sorry, I'm looking at this discussion as a whole, not as if it's a chat room, which I guess you believe it is.

I think its best not to argue.

Please just ignore me then and sorry. 🥸

I still wish u a great night / morning depending on where u are. :)

12 minutes ago, Christopher S. said:

I'm sorry, I'm looking at this discussion as a whole, not as if it's a chat room, which I guess you believe it is.

WEEEEEAAAAAK... solar storms makin you grumpy!

It's 2021 fam... this might be the only human interaction I have all week other than barking at the Amazon driver with my dogs.

Good Evening/Morning All,

New member here. Been following along most of the day awaiting the arrival of the CME. Interesting conversations and I agree with an earlier member who said he never spent so much time looking at graphs awaiting this event. Am hoping that this CME will bump up the Kp to 7 so I can see an event that happens so rarely this far South of the Arctic Circle.

I am also an Amateur Radio Operator and had over 50 international contacts today. Saw the comment on the 20 meter band "closing down." While not a hard and fast rule 20 meters usually closes down after Sundown. The reason being the Sun excites the atmosphere allowing 20m radio signals to reflect back towards Earth. Losing the Sun's energy allows the radio waves to pass through the atmosphere and into space. This is a simple explanation because I didn't want to subject everyone to a diatribe of the different layers of the atmosphere and how they react with different radio frequencies.

Edited by Cameron
Grammer