AR2887 X flare and CME

Drax Spacex

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

When was the CME anticipated? Like, how much "too Late" is it? 

I hope it will still spark some aurora. I live in a big city and cant see it, sadly.

I don’t think it’s very late. It could definitely still spark auroras, remember the SWPC G3 watch goes through Sunday!

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

When was the CME anticipated? Like, how much "too Late" is it? 

I hope it will still spark some aurora. I live in a big city and cant see it, sadly.

Going out in a bit to see, hoping for a show

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

Do you think it will arrive that soon? I never used the EPAM method

I'm clueless, just started watching graphs for auroras, but its clear right now (been cloudy for weeks) so might aswell go out and see :) 

2 minutes ago, Imrich said:

Solar wind speed and density should increase at DSCOVR satellite a hour before any visible auroras. EPAM is good for detetermining if a coronal mass ejection is going to arrive soon.

Actually, it all depends on the speed of the CME. It could be anywhere from an hour to half an hour or less between Earth and DSCOVR

10 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Actually, it all depends on the speed of the CME. It could be anywhere from an hour to half an hour or less between Earth and DSCOVR

I just simplified things a bit. Average speed of CME is ~300mi/s, that would take about an hour and this CME looks slow.

Edited by Imrich

The data is strange, this constant southward Bz reminds me of a CME but the solar wind speed is way too low to be the X1 CME. There hasn't been a shock in the solar wind yet either so... it is a bit puzzling, what we are seeing right now shouldn't be the X1 CME at least.

What we are seeing right now could be this CME from 5 days ago. It is a halo and the solar wind speed is what you expect from a CME from 5 days ago. I totaly missed this, credit to Fredrik Larsson for the tip.

20211025_132548_lasc2rdf_ql.png

Hey! First time I'm consciously observing a CME and I'm kinda excited :D I've been keeping an eye on the data on the main website and it's really interesting to observe even though I'm still trying to figure out what it all means :D

While we're all waiting for EPAM to rise, I noticed that the DST index dropped significantly throughout the evening, is that also a sign that the X1 CME might arrive soon or is it totally unrelated?

Also just noticed the Kp-index increase to Kp4 which is exciting!

2 minuten geleden, Tillson zei:

While we're all waiting for EPAM to rise, I noticed that the DST index dropped significantly throughout the evening, is that also a sign that the X1 CME might arrive soon or is it totally unrelated?

Unrelated. If you look at the ENLIL model there was an enhanced solar wind stream arriving before the CME would hit. So we see the effects of that and not yet the CME.

4 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Unrelated. If you look at the ENLIL model there was an enhanced solar wind stream arriving before the CME would hit. So we see the effects of that and not yet the CME.

I see, appreciate the clarification!

Just now, Marcel de Bont said:

The data is strange, this constant southward Bz reminds me of a CME but the solar wind speed is way too low to be the X1 CME. There hasn't been a shock in the solar wind yet either so... it is a bit puzzling, what we are seeing right now shouldn't be the X1 CME at least.

I mean.. i remember one time we had a G3 warning due to a CME and a CH or a solar wind stream drove it away from us or something 🤔