CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

Heliobiology Research

David Silver
Go to solution Solved by David Silver,

David, and others, thanks for sharing your experience. It is not unreasonable to believe solar activity can, and does affect our biological responses, this has been well documented. Science, the branch that is always evolving and changing, is just beginning to understand how the sun influences humans and animals both physically and mentally. It's a fascinating topic that deserves a thread on this forum. If you have scientific data confirming or disproving Helio biology, great, include that please so we can have a discussion. But the discussion by many thus far has read to me like personal bias and disbelief, which is fine, but David and others aren't here to defend themselves, or this topic, so please go to a different thread if this discussion is not for you. Again, thank you to everyone for sharing your experience.

On 4/4/2022 at 6:00 PM, Archmonoth said:

Consciousness is bound by logic gates and neural networks.

Your mind is bound by logic and neural networks. Consciousness is unbound, expansive, and unlimited. Quantum physics has proved consciousness is energy, and energy influences matter. Your consciousness may be limited, but that is only your experience, not the experience of everyone. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kaleen said:

If you have scientific data confirming or disproving Helio biology, great, include that please so we can have a discussion.

Many ideas proposed in this thread CAN'T be proven or disproven, this is a sign of pseudo-science, and I will continue to point it out. 

But the discussion by many thus far has read to me like personal bias and disbelief, which is fine, but David and others aren't here to defend themselves, or this topic, so please go to a different thread if this discussion is not for you. Again, thank you to everyone for sharing your experience.

This isn't a personal platform, it's a topic to be discussed. Discussing a topic will involve people having different opinions to conclusions, links/papers, and methods of determining science or fact. Some people who come here don't know about basic biology, like Myelin for example. There will be disagreement and difference of opinion. Unless making a thread means you get to make rules for posting, I will reply as I desire. 

You are new, and I welcome you. I might disagree with links or ideas you have, but I respect and value you as a person.

Your mind is bound by logic and neural networks. Consciousness is unbound, expansive, and unlimited. Quantum physics has proved consciousness is energy, and energy influences matter. Your consciousness may be limited, but that is only your experience, not the experience of everyone. 

Quantum physics is now called Quantum chromodynamics. There is no mention anywhere of consciousness in any version of Quantum physics. It is conjecture, guesswork, fantasy from movies like "What the F do We Know", campfire speculation that sounds correct, because it is vague enough to be true.  

Let's presume what you are saying is correct, that consciousness is energy. Is energy consciousness? 

Are hydroelectric dams' conscious? Are nuclear bombs? Are powerlines? They have energy, sometimes vast amounts. I don't see them making decisions, or choices, expressing opinions or anything resembling awareness? Are there any actions or qualities (besides containing energy) that would suggest these things are conscious? 

If you define everything as "energy" you aren't describing anything, you have defined a vague and intangible world, incapable of higher resolution understanding or knowledge about the subject. For example, measuring the effects of the Sun on the human body requires you measure a specific type of energy, or at least finding a method of separating the sources of energy from the Sun versus nearby electronics. 

Describing consciousness simply "energy" blurs the lines to where the description of consciousness could mean anything you want. 

I completely agree that consciousness is based on your experience, but the pursuit of science seeks to find an invariant knowledge, to find something which isn't different from person to person. 

I'm all for exploration, forward thinking and new ideas, but they need some substance, some ability to explore them, not blur them out into mystical narratives. 

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 3

Please start a separate thread on human bioelectricity, and a separate thread on human consciousness and I will gladly discuss and share my experience in these topics. You might read the many books available on the topics before blithering on the internet. Calling something superstition or pseudoscience is often an indicator that you're attempting to discredit a topic rather than participate in a dialogue, especially something so widely known as qigong/tai chi. Its culturally-inappropriate for you to be so rude about these disciplines.

Saying you don't believe in heliobiology is like saying you don't believe in archeology. Russian disinfo...Is this a Qanon forum? You're embarrassing yourself and humanity in general.

I am objective, but also have some personal experience that affords me perspective. As soon as more compelling proof / data exists telling me that humans are not affected by geomagnetic disturbance I would accept it without delay. 

I have collected and shared various papers from various researchers, which are coming from scientists increasingly often. I trust scientists' results about their research more than random internet guys.

Going to a thread you disagree with to complain that you disagree with the topic is like knocking on someone's door to tell them you don't want to talk to them.

I hope the smarter people here will continue to contribute something useful. Thanks @Kaleen for talking like a normal adult.

Are hydroelectric dams' conscious? Are nuclear bombs? Are powerlines?

This kind of false narrative is a useless distraction. You can't really be that clueless about the topic of human energy. Electrocardiograms are 100 year old tech. EEGs measure brainwaves which are frequencies of energy. Why, even your PH balance is a measure of potential hydrogen, voltage. Alkaline/Acid...

I will officially be ignoring anything that isn't directly pertaining to the topic of this thread and pertinent new research going forward.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Silver said:

Calling something superstition or pseudoscience is often an indicator that you're attempting to discredit a topic rather than participate in a dialogue, especially something so widely known as qigong/tai chi. Its culturally-inappropriate for you to be so rude about these disciplines.

I'm not intending to be rude. What do you think pseudo-science is? Culturally inappropriate? According to who? This seems like gate keeping. 

Saying you don't believe in heliobiology is like saying you don't believe in archeology. Russian disinfo...Is this a Qanon forum? You're embarrassing yourself and humanity in general.

You are conflating a disagreement on particulars with the topic in general. Look at page 1 of this thread, I agree there are effects, and fully support exploring them.

The degree of effect and the particulars of each of links and papers you post are not equal, there are differences in the sample sizes and conclusions. (Among other details)

Your personal attacks and shame are useless, they don't mean anything to me, and I will continue to post as I see fit. 

• Dislike 1

Interesting new research paper today about the “coupling between the solar wind and the terrestrial magnetosphere-ionosphere system and subsequent influence on the low-latitude ionosphere.”

Space and Atmospheric Sciences Division, Physical Research Laboratory

The occurrence of geomagnetic storms is associated with input of the energy of the solar wind and subsequent cou- pling of the same with the Magnetosphere-Ionosphere (MI) system. In general, these storms occur when the north- south component (Bz) of the frozen-in Interplanetary Magnetic Field (IMF), emanating from the Sun and carried by the solar wind into the heliosphere, turns completely south- ward (or negative Bz by convention) and remains in this state for several hours while reconnecting with the geomagnetic field [1-2]. These phenomena occur mainly following a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) or successive CMEs and the type of magnetic storms driven by this solar transient are generally refereed to as CME-driven geomagnetic storms. Additionally, these type of storms occur from components like the strong magnetic field in the ejecta, the strong mag- netic field of the sheath and the interplanetary shocks. It is to be noted that these storms mainly occur in the ascending phase and solar maximum phase of solar cycles.”…

Interesting new research paper today about the “coupling between the solar wind and the terrestrial magnetosphere-ionosphere system and subsequent influence on the low-latitude ionosphere.”

Space and Atmospheric Sciences Division, Physical Research Laboratory

The occurrence of geomagnetic storms is associated with input of the energy of the solar wind and subsequent cou- pling of the same with the Magnetosphere-Ionosphere (MI) system. In general, these storms occur when the north- south component (Bz) of the frozen-in Interplanetary Magnetic Field (IMF), emanating from the Sun and carried by the solar wind into the heliosphere, turns completely south- ward (or negative Bz by convention) and remains in this state for several hours while reconnecting with the geomagnetic field [1-2]. These phenomena occur mainly following a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) or successive CMEs and the type of magnetic storms driven by this solar transient are generally refereed to as CME-driven geomagnetic storms. Additionally, these type of storms occur from components like the strong magnetic field in the ejecta, the strong mag- netic field of the sheath and the interplanetary shocks. It is to be noted that these storms mainly occur in the ascending phase and solar maximum phase of solar cycles.”…

I don't disagree with this study or abstract. The ionosphere is 45km-965km above the surface and disruption makes sense at that altitude. 

I want to repeat than I'm not denying/disagreeing with this paper or study.

This study/paper doesn't claim or connect any impact to human biology. What does this link/paper have to do with heilobiology? 

Forum idea: Individual user-level "ban" setting.  Love the feature on a few Discord servers I'm on.  You can find someone who's clearly just posting clutter that you'd rather skip, and it hides their message, but allows them to waste their energy posting.  Freedom of speech, and freedom to force ignore, I love it.

Then the adults could collaborate and learn while trolls like Archmonoth wastes calories pounding out long-winded BS posts nobody has to read ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Compuw22c said:

Forum idea: Individual user-level "ban" setting.  Love the feature on a few Discord servers I'm on.  You can find someone who's clearly just posting clutter that you'd rather skip, and it hides their message, but allows them to waste their energy posting.  Freedom of speech, and freedom to force ignore, I love it.

Then the adults could collaborate and learn while trolls like Archmonoth wastes calories pounding out long-winded BS posts nobody has to read ;) 

Dude chill the frick out. 

• Like 1

I agree with Compuw22c. I say, one more post claiming "pseudoscience", and they should not be allowed to post in the thread anymore. I think calling it pseudoscience is very disparaging, and not enlightening. I kind of suspect the people saying pseudoscience also dont know what pseudoscience is, or equaly likely dont know what science is. I'd say one strike, thats ok, but after that, i'd give em the hammer (or silent hammer is even worse, the only thing worse than a ban is a shadowban imo). If it were up to me, I would adjust them if I could. 

My suggestion is to read these posts. Actually read them, and you will find a honest search for real science here (not pseudoscience). I will agree that mixing some philosophy with hard core science can lead to a dilution of one or the other. If it were me, I'd be careful there, and give a disclaimer on the difference between the two for those easily confused. It's not a foul however, as science is a modern philosophy after all. You will find hypothesis in this thread, and proposed experiments to test these hypothesis. That's science my people.

Now, I agree this thread is not yet Nature/Science level, but I didn't come here for that. It certainly could be however, based on the subject matter. I can definitely see a Nature paper if space weather is found to affect human biology. If you know the Nature journal, you know they would eat this up. It would go nicely with the Nature papers coming out on the novel satellite data coming in recently. Of course it would need to have some nicely controlled experiments (good luck), and you maybe want to throw in a reversal along with a number of redundant unnecessary experiments that get stuffed and forgotten in some supplemental attachments, and BAM...easy Nature pub for your resume (I'm half joking ofc, but those of you that read Nature know I'm half serious).

For those who know the difference between science and pseudoscience, what would be the biological model you would use for this upcoming Nature paper? In other words, what simple model could more feasibly be tested against physical changes resulting from space weather? I actually don't know but if you want to find it, you have to look in the right place. Are we looking at biochemical signaling cascades (popular for quick and ez publications, pick your favorite pathways and win a PhD), maybe genetics and gene expression (probably even easier but will require just as many pipette tips and centrifuge tubes). Darn it, someone is going to have to pay for those tubes but you can order them in bulk. In any case, this would probably start in the dish. Maybe the reason this seems so much like pseudoscience to some, simply because no one has paid for those tubes yet (not sure how many are funding these experiments at the moment).

Here is one you can try, epigenetics and space weather. How does CME affect methylation and gene expression? The wonky thing here is that I dont think biologists (or possibly anyone) understand the full implication of what a CME is and what it does. I think we are all in for some surprises there, so where shall the setting of this experiment be. In space (yes)?

Now, see how I dumped on the pseudoscience guys, then pulled out some science. Lets see who wants to raise or fold to that (please raise...some science). Cheers!

• Like 3

A quality, reliable study would follow the scientific method to the best of its ability, as in, hard quantitative data and elimination of or acknowledgement of and correction for confounding factors. All methods would be sufficiently explained for someone else to reproduce the study and evaluate the hypothesis. The studies posted so far have not followed that process, and many seem to just be "discussion" papers. Several of the studies are basic correlation without demonstrating causation. 

Anecdotally, I seem to experience changes in hearing during events such as CMEs and high solar wind speeds that make contact with the Earth and/or its magnetosphere. I came to this theory by only looking at space weather activity when I heard that sound change, in order to prevent my brain from thinking it was hearing something just because the NOAA geomagnetic disturbance map was orange because that's what brains do. So far I have been able to see a pattern and would like to get some hard data on it. I previously set up a Geiger Muller counter that detects beta, alpha, gamma, and x-ray radiation in counts per minute, unable to differentiate between them which is fine for this purpose. My theory in doing that was whatever I was hearing could be caused by solar radiation. I needed a lot of data because I wanted to make sure I got both quiet and "loud" space weather days, so I had it going for several weeks, then i threw it into excel along with the GOES measurements for those types of radiation on the same days, split by the mode into "active" and "inactive" and ran some statistics on the individual data for each type of radioactive particle as well as the total of all of them and P>0.05 sorry, not statistically significant. Doesn't mean that it is now a fact forever that radiation doesnt penetrate to the atmosphere, just means its probably not causing these hearing changes unless and until someone else does the same study and gets a different result, or comes up with a better one. 

Meanwhile, heliobiology is based on the quest for eternal life by an orthodox christian and all the broad "what ifs" that he asked during his life. If that's not the definition of pseudoscience than maybe I should just tear up my degree? 🤔

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Compuw22c said:

Forum idea: Individual user-level "ban" setting. ...  Freedom of speech, ...

...while trolls like Archmonoth wastes calories pounding out long-winded BS posts nobody has to read ;) 

When you posted about your ear wax being affected by solar weather, I encouraged you to seek more answers and explanations. I didn't troll you, and I didn't call you names or put you down. So please, stop calling me a troll.

This thread is filled with many experiences, guesswork, and ideas, and not agreeing with someone doesn't mean they are troll. 

16 hours ago, SpaceWhiskey said:

I kind of suspect the people saying pseudoscience also dont know what pseudoscience is, or equaly likely dont know what science is.

I have posted countless times of what pseudo-science is, what do you think pseudo-science is?

I will agree that mixing some philosophy with hard core science can lead to a dilution of one or the other. If it were me, I'd be careful there, and give a disclaimer on the difference between the two for those easily confused.

I am doing this exact thing. I suggested to David to not interject pseudo-science if he wants the science to be taken seriously. You are ironically agreeing with me.

Qi, which is Chinese traditional medicine, and is not considered science by any authority or methods of science. This was included in the conversation by David, not by me. 

100% agree with you. 

It's not a foul however, as science is a modern philosophy after all. You will find hypothesis in this thread, and proposed experiments to test these hypothesis. That's science my people.

I have purposed such things, even on page 1 and 2. Others have offered methods for control groups, eliminating guesses, and methods of measuring effects. 

Here is one you can try, epigenetics and space weather. How does CME affect methylation and gene expression?

For doing science, you need a control group to eliminate guesswork. Underground, out in space, another planet, large group of subjects etc. Also, epigenetics is an emerging science, and is often filled with quacks and people exaggerating the effects of epigenetics. There are people claiming epigenetics are proof for reincarnation. So, when talking about epigenetics there might be some discussion on the methods used.

Disagreeing with particular papers on epigenetics doesn't mean an disagreement on epigenetics as an idea. 

Disagreeing with the effects of a CME doesn't means there is no effect, although without testing, the possibility no effect exists. If you claim the CME affects your dreams, from personal experience, that is probably pseudo-science, much like astrology, or claiming your dog can predict earthquakes. (Which was suggested in this thread)

15 hours ago, GuyFierisFridge said:

Meanwhile, heliobiology is based on the quest for eternal life by an orthodox christian and all the broad "what ifs" that he asked during his life. If that's not the definition of pseudoscience than maybe I should just tear up my degree? 🤔

Yeah, I agree, and calling something heilobiology doesn't mean it is equal with the studies and rigor of actual biology. I gave up in the early stages of this thread with the semantics of the term heilobiology being a misnomer. It is being used in a general sense as "how humans are affected by the Sun", rather than an actual branch of biology. 

I presume you are talking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Chizhevsky Who claimed Russian revolutions were from Sun activity? He also suggested Negative Air Ionization Theory, which is considered to be pseudo-science. Here is a link to a paper investigating this theory: Negative Air Ions and Their Effects on Human Health and Air Quality Improvement - PMC (nih.gov)

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1

Yes, he is mostly who I'm referring to. I did a little googling on the premise of heliobiology to try to understand more about it and really didn't find much, at least when it comes to reputable sources. But what I took from the search was that Chizhevsky came up with the premise, and that his ideas were largely based upon Fyodorov's "Cosmism" ideas. He and other Cosmism cultists also express support for some more "wild" ideas such as eugenics. I'm honestly surprised and a bit disappointed tbh that both of them have wikipedia pages that don't have a "criticism" section, but then when you go to Chizhevsky's page and click "heliobiology" to go to the wikipedia page for that, it takes you to something that is essentially a different topic (Chronobiology). But I guess that's also relevant because aside from the "discovery" of circadian rhythm, which in my opinion is somewhat of a fringe science as well given how much these 'circadian' actions vary between species, chronobiology seems to also be bunk and have a similar type of cult to Cosmism and it's offspring, heliobiology.

In fact, I found some weird rambling discussion or tribute piece hosted at NLM no less from the scientist who invented the term "circadian rhythm" where he briefly mentions that Chizhevsky had a large influence on him and several of his references are HIMSELF or are only found mentioned online from this paper...

Imagine if publishing some long-winded ego trip was standard practice in the scientific community? Thankfully it kind of goes against the whole "ethics" and "objective view" part of being a scientist so it's uncommon.

• Like 1

Harvard University 2006,

Palmer SJ, Rycroft MJ, Cermack M

Surveys in Geophysics, Volume 27, Issue 5, pp.557-595:

This work reviews the research undertaken in the field of heliobiology, focusing on the effect of variations of geomagnetic activity on human cardiovascular health...  Extremely high as well as extremely low values of geomagnetic activity seem to have adverse health effects and that a subset of the population (10-15%) is predisposed to adverse health due to geomagnetic variations.

LINK: "Solar and geomagnetic activity, extremely low frequency magnetic and electric fields and human health at the Earth's surface"

Suppression of melatonin secreted by the pineal gland, possibly via desynchronised biological rhythms, appears to be a promising contender linking geomagnetic activity and human health. There are indications that calcium ions in cells could play a role in one or more mechanisms. 

Edited by David Silver
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, David Silver said:

Harvard University 2006,

Palmer SJ, Rycroft MJ, Cermack M

Surveys in Geophysics, Volume 27, Issue 5, pp.557-595:

LINK: "Solar and geomagnetic activity, extremely low frequency magnetic and electric fields and human health at the Earth's surface"

From the study abstract:

"Direct effects of natural ELF electric and magnetic fields appear implausible; a mechanism involving some form of resonant absorption is more likely." 

The bolded part is my emphasis. Also, at the end of the abstract:

"...It is found to be unlikely that a single mechanism can explain all of the reported phenomena."

From the abstract it appears these are reports from people, not measurements of mechanism. There is some exploration: "...possibly via desynchronized biological rhythms." 

From what I see, the study/survey is suggesting there are other/more causes besides solar weather. 

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1

I had excerpted text for readers’ convenience but I see it needs to be included in full, so as to not be misrepresented and distorted with half sentences and imbalanced summary.

One conclusion of many is that geomagnetic disturbance may disrupt biological rhythms and melatonin, as posted previously in other studies, thereby explaining the direct causation of solar weather in adverse health response for a select unlucky group of humans. (me)

“a promising contender linking geomagnetic activity and human health.“

“ Abstract from Harvard.edu

The possibility that conditions on the Sun and in the Earth’s magnetosphere can affect human health at the Earth’s surface has been debated for many decades. This work reviews the research undertaken in the field of heliobiology, focusing on the effect of variations of geomagnetic activity on human cardiovascular health. Data from previous research are analysed for their statistical significance, resulting in support for some studies and the undermining of others. Three conclusions are that geomagnetic effects are more pronounced at higher magnetic latitudes, that extremely high as well as extremely low values of geomagnetic activity seem to have adverse health effects and that a subset of the population (10-15%) is predisposed to adverse health due to geomagnetic variations. The reported health effects of anthropogenic sources of electric and magnetic fields are also briefly discussed, as research performed in this area could help to explain the results from studies into natural electric and magnetic field interactions with the human body. Possible mechanisms by which variations in solar and geophysical parameters could affect human health are discussed and the most likely candidates investigated further. Direct effects of natural ELF electric and magnetic fields appear implausible; a mechanism involving some form of resonant absorption is more likely. The idea that the Schumann resonance signals could be the global environmental signal absorbed by the human body, thereby linking geomagnetic activity and human health is investigated. Suppression of melatonin secreted by the pineal gland, possibly via desynchronised biological rhythms, appears to be a promising contender linking geomagnetic activity and human health. There are indications that calcium ions in cells could play a role in one or more mechanisms. It is found to be unlikely that a single mechanism can explain all of the reported phenomena.”

Edited by David Silver

I had excerpted text for readers’ convenience but I see it needs to be included in full, so as to not be misrepresented and distorted with half sentences and imbalanced summary.

The link is there for all to read, I was clearly stating my opinion and my emphasis, and not claiming fact.

A study/paper doesn't come with interruption, WE are doing that part. Anyone who reads the paper has to interrupt the abstract.

I am quoting parts which I think are relevant, just like you are bolding parts you think are relevant.

Edited by Archmonoth

Facts > opinions.

Harvard Heliobiology research > random internet troll.

I find that Harvard university study about Heliobiology interesting and wonder what new findings there have been in the past couple decades. I hope we can learn more about this fascinating space weather-related topic.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 5:40 AM, SpaceWhiskey said:

My suggestion is to read these posts. Actually read them, and you will find a honest search for real science here (not pseudoscience). I will agree that mixing some philosophy with hard core science can lead to a dilution of one or the other. If it were me, I'd be careful there, and give a disclaimer on the difference between the two for those easily confused. It's not a foul however, as science is a modern philosophy after all. You will find hypothesis in this thread, and proposed experiments to test these hypothesis. That's science my people.

No... mixing science with some philosophy is exactly what science isn't! The whole point of modern science is that stuff needs to be provable in order to call it fact. That's exactly why we still call relativity a theory. We call it a 'special theory' because it makes so much mathematical sense of other stuff that it's really unlikely to be completely wrong (although it is acknowledged to probably be incomplete). The point being that science and philosophy are now two different things... that's not to invalidate the latter, it just to say that you can't claim one as the other.

3 hours ago, David Silver said:

a promising contender linking geomagnetic activity and human health

But, you're not actually linking anything, so how would I know?

That's not a source, that's spamming somethign in underlined bold and hoping no one bothers to click on it to see it's nothing more that hot air! You've got something, link it! Otherwise ... well just stop with the BS!

EDIT: Anyone that marks their own question post as an answer to a thread is guaranteed to be full of rubbish! Nothing more needs to be said here.

Edited by HalfFeralHuman
Sry, editor difficutles involving quoted text. Ya, then another edit becauese I couldn't resist
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, David Silver said:

Facts > opinions.

A link to a study or paper written in technical terms doesn't mean our conjecture about the facts are correct. You are expressing your opinion about the abstract, just like I am. 

I don't disagree with the paper/survey, and highlighted what I thought was relevant, just like you. 

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1

Alright, I took a look at the link. It's not a Harvard paper to start with. The link is a to a paper in a library that Harvard happen to host.

The paper itself is fairly old (2006) and I can't tell if it's peer reviewed or not. The abstract doesn't really seem to be saying anything other than that there might be something here worth further research. It certainly doesn't look to be even attempting to come across as conclusive in any way.

Basically, what GuyFierisFridge said:

On 4/8/2022 at 6:54 AM, GuyFierisFridge said:

The studies posted so far have not followed that process, and many seem to just be "discussion" papers. Several of the studies are basic correlation without demonstrating causation. 

Maybe we should discuss the medical effects of the aether?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2022 at 7:24 PM, Compuw22c said:

It is ironic how you think that your speech "is getting suppressed", yet you want to be able to block people who disagree with you from replying to forums that you started.  

that tells me that you only like "free speech " when only you have it. 

• Like 1