Heliobiology Research

David Silver
Go to solution Solved by David Silver,

21 hours ago, David Silver said:

Spaaaaace Bioloogyyyyyyyy

Yes, you can read about him on Wikipedia and other places. Research was sparse for the first 50 years but has become more common.

Space biology, sure, and overlap into chronobiology, but not heilobiology.

Yes, the dude started some connection points, but I wouldn't consider it a scientific discipline of 100+ years. 

Thanks for providing why you think it's a discipline. 

• Dislike 1

Thank you for your unsolicited chaperoning, we have learned nothing from your contribution. I have received and absorbed your disapproval again. Cool talk bro

"The dude" (actual scientist who founded Heliobiology and researched for decades) clearly does not have the respect of opinionated random aurora-enthusiast guy.

Edited by David Silver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I personally find the electromagnetic hypothesis toward the adverse health effects of space weather described in this small study most compelling, rather than focusing on melatonin and cortisol. The electrical stressor happens first, the chemistry changes in response.

This article never mentions the word Heliobiology, call it whatever you like: the point of this thread remains. Solar wind modulates the density in the global electric circuit.

Scientists from Department of Environmental Sciences, Institute of Cardiology, Institute of Physiology and Pharmacology, Clinical Department of Cardiac Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, Academic Editor: Jane Liu

published Atmosphere magazine August 21, 2022

...Environmental factors such as geomagnetic activity (GMA) or other space weather variables are also linked to changes in HRV and other parameters of the electrocardiogram [14,15].
Reduced Heart Rate Variability (HRV) was observed during geomagnetic storms [16,17,18]. Otsuka et al. (2001), in their study with repeated measurements of eight participants, found decreases in VLF and LF power during geomagnetically disturbed days [19]. During active-stormy days, in participants with baseline HR >80 beats/min, a higher LF/HF was observed as compared with that seen on days with a lower GMA [20]. A statistically significant correlation was found between GMA indices and normalised HRV variables [14,21,22], and a positive correlation of cosmic ray intensity (CRI) with VLF, LF, and HF was observed [15].
The results of the analysis of HRV variables in simulated GMA showed that increased GMA levels were associated with a higher LF and LF/HF [23] and with a higher HR and LF/HF and a lower SDNN in participants with a higher baseline HR [20]. During the modelled zero magnetic field, an increase in the mean beat-to-beat interval was observed [24], as well as a decrease in normalised VLF as compared with those seen during active-stormy GMA [25].
Studies have found a stronger HRV response to changes in environmental conditions in participants with poorer cardiovascular health [13,16,20]. During magnetic storms, patients with impaired cardiovascular functions demonstrate deterioration in capillary blood flow [26,27,28]. In the elderly, elevated GMA had a stronger negative effect on survival after the acute coronary syndrome [29] and on the risk of emergency calls due to the exacerbation of arterial hypertension [30]. It is probable that the GMA and CRI variations influence patients with cardiovascular problems; this has been linked to a decreased HRV.
In cardiac surgery, preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative management modifies the autonomic nervous system, and it is known that many drugs might induce alterations in HRV [31,32]. HRV becomes decreased after coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery [33] and after valve surgery [2]. Changes in GMA and other space weather conditions may affect HRV parameters in patients after open-heart surgery.
Some space weather patterns affect atmospheric circulation and tropospheric vorticity [34,35,36,37] and may affect the atmospheric electricity, thus increasing electromagnetic noise in the ultra-low frequency (ULF) range (1–3 Hz) [38] which overlaps with the frequency range of human heart rhythms [39]. A decrease in the average area of high vorticity (cyclonic activity) in winter storms was observed on a few days near the times of changes in the interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) direction [40] and after Forbush decreases [41]. Solar wind modulates the current density in the global electric circuit (GEC) [42]. It is probable that variations in solar wind affect the HRV parameters in more sensitive populations due to increases in electromagnetic noise.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Archmonoth said:

Space biology, sure, and overlap into chronobiology, but not heilobiology.

Yes, the dude started some connection points, but I wouldn't consider it a scientific discipline of 100+ years. 

Thanks for providing why you think it's a discipline. 

Its interesting how the sun is a plasmic field of electromagnetism and yet there are few who connect the key points at all to the celestial/human bodies. Also seems as though where there are more magnetic metal deposits in the earth, one could stand to reason there would be more conductivity vs places which are more insulated.  Just thoughts really. 

• Like 1

@TiaYes, this is exactly where this topic is headed. I refrain from being the "everything is energy" guy here, because I want this thread to focus on actual research on this topic from various fields and gradually arrive at this seemingly obvious conclusion. We are electromagnetic beings living in an electromagnetic universe; everything else is secondary.

Yes: geologists are doing the first ever actual topographical survey of the conductivity in the USA (it has been averaged until now) and have found it varies WIDELY and the induced ground currents and resulting potential threat in various places can be very different. Different metals, stone, and crystal conduct energy very differently, but in general this current of energy from the sun permeates the ground and the troposphere (our air) at times.

PBS Terra episode, interview with Adam Schultz, Professor of Geophysics, Oregon State University

People of think of the sun as a simple ball of fire, but it is not. It is a ball of energy, a nuclear fusion reaction of hydrogen and helium, collapsing inward from its own mass, but radiating a broad spectrum of energy outward constantly. Some of this energy beyond the obvious photons of light arrives at almost the speed of light. X-rays from solar flares penetrate the EM field and interact with the ionosphere (37 miles up) in real-time, adding electrons to the global electric circuit. Solar wind also delivers electrons into Earth's system. Most energy is blocked by the Earth's EM field. Some of this energy reaches the surface, especially now due to climate change increasing the conductivity between the ionosphere and mesosphere. Most energy stays at or enters through the poles. Some energy radiates from the poles and affects the entire planet and population. Some people are adversely affected (estimated 10-15% with preexisting conditions). Some lucky duckies are blissfully unaware of all of this, but Im personally fascinated and unfortunately also negatively affected by space weather. Hoping to learn more about it in this forum...

Edited by David Silver
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tia said:

Its interesting how the sun is a plasmic field of electromagnetism and yet there are few who connect the key points at all to the celestial/human bodies. Also seems as though where there are more magnetic metal deposits in the earth, one could stand to reason there would be more conductivity vs places which are more insulated.  Just thoughts really. 

Yes, the Sun is highly magnetic and conductive, but that is an attribute of plasma. However, gas is not very conduction, and neither is solid matter usually. We (our bodies) are full of insulators and resistors. I don't discount sensitivity, or your experience.

There is little plasma on the Earth, even in the ionosphere. Gas, atmosphere etc. have an extremely low conductivity, as does most matter. We are also buffered by our own planetary magnetic field which guides high energy protons and flux to the poles. 

There are places on Earth which are more/less insulated, they are the Artic and the Antarctic. Radios have issues, and compasses have issues. (For example) The difference outside the magnetic poles (Artic and Antarctic) are considerably less. 

We live in the shadow of these forces, sheltered by complex systems worth educating yourself about before coming to conclusions about your health or how "energy" works. 

1 hour ago, David Silver said:

People of think of the sun as a simple ball of fire, but it is not. It is a ball of energy, a nuclear fusion reaction of hydrogen and helium, collapsing inward from its own mass, but radiating a broad spectrum of energy outward constantly.

It is a ball of plasma, and has very different attributes than gas, solids, or liquids. 

On 8/29/2022 at 8:24 PM, Archmonoth said:

@Archmonoth now is your turn to describe what is a discipline.

Could you, please, tell us what is the exact year/month/day

when mathematics/physics/chemistry/astronomy/psychology 

have been internationally recognized/accepted as science?

Have science ever existed at all before the scientific method has been formalized?

It is not clear what value you want to bring to the "Heliobiology Research" topic.

Why don't you attack disciplines like anthropology, economics, history, human geography, political science, psychology, sociology which also aren't fully formalized as mathematical models?

Edited by Volodymyr Komarov

11 hours ago, Volodymyr Komarov said:

@Archmonoth now is your turn to describe what is a discipline.

Could you, please, tell me what is the exact year/month/day

when mathematics/physics/chemistry/astronomy/psychology 

has been internationally recognized/accepted as science?

Have science ever existed at all before the scientific method has been formalized?

First off, my question was to David on why he thinks it is a 100+ year discipline. Second, I didn't agree, but I didn't want to argue the semantics, because I asked an opinion and let David voice it without argument. I wanted to avoid the contention, especially since I just I asked for his opinion. 

To answer your questions. Many milestones of math have been reached with specific dates. Calculus was in the 1700's when Newton and Euler's work were put into a single idea by The Witch of Angesi. (Maria Angesi) Math as a concept had been around previously, but not everyone who practiced math was part of the formal discipline of calculus we have today.

Same goes for Botany. Many people studied plants throughout history, but the current taxonomy of Botany wasn't defined until 1753. 

Same goes for the scientific method, which is based on a previous logic called the Socratic method. This wasn't officially described until the 1700's. Scientific method - Wikipedia There is defined history, there are dates, there are precise requirements for being considered the scientific method.

As for disciplines, which I consider official "branches of science" have history with dates, founding ideas, and a history of how they came to be considered branches of science. Here are some links with lists of official branches of science. 

Branches of Science – The Complete List [2021 Update] (sciencemirror.com) 

"Then they are apply the scientific method to find the solution or explain the problem. The scientific method is the main procedure for do a standard research."

The Branches of Science (weebly.com) This link has a nice list of actual branches of science.

There is also a sub-definition of sciences called formal science: Outline of formal science - Wikipedia

Heilobiology is putting 2 words together which have overlap of causes and conditions. The science is emerging (which is something David has said before) but there is much which is undefined, untested, and unstudied which might prevent it from being a discipline or branch of science in the formal sense. 

Has the effects of the Sun on humans been studied for 100+ years, sure, has the study been formalized into a branch or discipline, perhaps recently, but not that I can find. Even the wiki articles (which tend to be inclusive of new ideas) overlaps the idea with chronobiology.

Nasa considers the effects of the Sun on biology, and there are new studies, so there might enough to call it a discipline, but 100+ years? I don't think so, this is just my opinion based on how it is categorized and the limited studies and knowledge on the subject. 

Internationally physics, chemistry, biology and math are all generally the same everywhere. For example: Angular momentum has the same formulas in India as they do in China or the USA. Formal sciences are internationally recognized. 

I hope this answers your questions, and I wasn't intending to argue with David, I sincerely wanted to know why he thought it was a 100+ year old discipline, since he might have more sources than myself. 

12 hours ago, Volodymyr Komarov said:

Why don't you attack disciplines like anthropology, economics, history, human geography, political science, psychology, sociology which also aren't fully formalized as mathematical models?

Not the thread topic, and I might argue the idea depending on the opinion or statement. If someone said psychology is a formal science for 200+ years, I might ask why they think that. 

• Thanks 1

“Heliobiology” is one word, a term coined by the scientist who initiated this branch of research 100 years ago. He created the word before we were born. It has since been repeated by many smart scientists. Who are we to say otherwise? Why would we bother? 

Biometeorology is also a word.

Annual incidence of mortality related to hypertensive disease in Canada and associations with heliophysical parameters 

Abstract

Increasing research into heliobiology and related fields has revealed a myriad of potential relationships between space weather factors and terrestrial biology. Additionally, many studies have indicated cyclicity in incidence of various diseases along with many aspects of cardiovascular function. The current study examined annual mortality associated with hypertensive diseases in Canada from 1979 to 2009 for periodicities and linear relationships with a range of heliophysical parameters. Analyses indicated a number of significant lagged correlations between space weather and hypertensive mortality, with solar wind plasma beta identified as the likely source of these relationships. Similar periodicities were observed for geomagnetic activity and hypertensive mortality. A significant rhythm was revealed for hypertensive mortality centered on a 9.6-year cycle length, while geomagnetic activity was fit with a 10.1-year cycle. Cross-correlograms of mortality with space weather demonstrated a 10.67-year periodicity coinciding with the average 10.6-year solar cycle length for the time period examined. 

“Heliobiology” is one word, a term coined by the scientist who initiated this branch of research 100 years ago.

The "scientist" suggested that riots in Russia were caused by the Sun cycles. He coined the word and suggested an idea, an untestable and unscientific idea which vaguely intersects with biology at the time. 

You have your opinions about it, and I have mine. I am not discounting recent studies and ideas, but I wouldn't saying this "scientist" started a branch of anything for his maniacal conjecture. I use quotes around "scientist" because what he suggested is not scientific in study, test or practice. 

11-year cycles for citizen complaints? Plane Crashes? Wars? Anything bad was shoved into an 11-year cycle explanation, that doesn't seem very scientific to me. Perhaps there is a correlation, but that hardly is a basis for a branch of science without ANY testing, or formal logic. (To me) 

Biometeorology is a word, what is your point? 

The recent development and legitimacy of Heliology I could find was this:

The Effects of Solar Activity and Geomagnetic Disturbance on Human Health (biomedscis.com)

"Heliobiology is a new branch of science that deals with the influences on human health caused by solar activity and investigates the possible mechanisms to explain the reported associations. In the last decades, many researchers have considered geomagnetic storms, cosmic rays, and solar flares to be hazardous to human health. "

This narrative describes the branch of heilobiology as decades in age. I don't disagree with this. This is also why I asked why 100+ years was the range given. 

Edited by Archmonoth

“Scientist”

In 1926, Chizhevsky worked with Konstantin Tsiolkovsky in the world’s first experimental research in the field of space biology. In 1929 he was elected to the Tulan Academy of Sciences and he lectured on biophysics at Columbia University in New YorkCity. 

Chizhevsky worked with Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, predecessor and inspiration of Werner Van Braun, father of modern rocketry with the US Army and NASA. How amazing they were able to raise awareness on this topic at the advent of the space age through their insight and research.
There is certainly more Heliobiology research now that we have space weather satellites and powerful computers.

“Space weather data are collected from ground-based detectors and operational satellites. Data from ground-level stations include cosmic ray data from neutron monitors, the number of sunspots, total electron content, and solar flux at 10.7 cm radio frequencies. Moreover, magnetic storms and the level of geomagnetic activity are recorded by magnetometers through the global network of magnetic field observatories. Various indices, such as Kp, Ap, and Dst, have been introduced to represent geomagnetic activity [5].

HELIOBIOLOGY

Heliobiology [13] (sometimes referred to as cosmobiology, heliomedicine or clinical cosmobiology in the literature) …has become a subject of interest that has attracted scientists from various disciplines. Numerous studies have been carried out, and the evidences suggest that space weather activity has a broad range of adverse effects on human health, such as mental illness, cardiovascular mortality, and neurological system diseases [14-16]…

RESULTS FROM HELIOBIOLOGICAL INVESTIGATIONS

Over the last 20 years, several research papers have presented the results of investigating the relationships between space weather parameters and human health. Some of these results are summarized below [13,15,24]:

a) High values of geomagnetic activity have a negative effect on human cardiovascular health that includes significant variations in heart rate variability [13,25].
b) The number of incidents of alterations in blood flow is increased (increased systolic and diastolic blood pressure and epileptic seizures) during the solar activity periods [24,26].
c) Incidents of coronary disease and myocardial infarction increase during spans of high solar activity, as compared to years with low solar activity [13-15-16].
d) Sharp or sudden variations in geomagnetic and solar activity can act as stressors, which alter regulatory processes such as breathing, reproductive, and increase total deaths  [13].
e) Several studies support the idea that geomagnetic disturbances decrease the melatonin levels in the human body [20- 21].
f) Positive correlations exist between neurological system diseases (e.g., depression and mental illness) and geomagnetic activity [12-13,27-28].
g) The standard metabolism and behaviour patterns of humans and other species are affected by solar activity [13,29-30].
h) Solar disturbances are associated with significant increases in hospital admissions for suicide attempts, homicides, and traffic accidents [12,31].
i) Investigations of the blood of tested patients have shown that the viscosity of blood during solar activity periods increases sharply, so the risk of developing morbid cardiovascular system disease is increased [32].
j) A relationship between solar activity and some congenital anomalies such as Down syndrome has been established [33-34].
k) The fluctuations in solar activity are associated with oscillations in concentrations of vitamin D [35].
l) Solar activity is related to many parameters of new-born development and homeostasis, such as number of births, number of premature births, new-born weight and length, and syndromes associated with chromosome aberrations and hormone production [36-37].
m) Solar activity may contribute to the development of and be a trigger of the exacerbation of nervous and mental disorders, such schizophrenia, Alzheimer’s disease, and multiple sclerosis [38].

CONCLUSION

The results from heliobiological investigations carried out in the last 20 years have reported evidence that suggests solar activity has direct or indirect influences on human health. Although there are speculations about the reality of such relationships, the results have attracted the scientific community to heliobiology and encouraged them to conduct more research in this field and search for mechanisms that can explain such relationships. For more conclusions to be made in the field of heliobiology, more investigations and medical data from different places around the world are needed…

REFERENCES

1. Maghrabi A (2017) The influence of dust storms on solar radiation data, aerosol properties and meteorological variables in Central Arabian Peninsula. Int J Environ Sci Technol 14: 1643-1650.
  2. Sakurai K (1987) Cosmic rays and energetic particles in the heliosphere. In: Akasofu SI, Kamide Y (Eds.), The solar wind and the earth. Terra Scientific Publishing Company.
  3. Zenchenko T (2011) Solar wind density variations and the development of heliobiological effects during magnetic storms. Atmos Oceanic Phys 47(7):795-804.
  4. Usoskin I (2008) A history of solar activity over millennia. Living Rev Sol Phys 5: 3.
  5. Dorman L (2004) Cosmic rays in the earth’s atmosphere and underground, Kluwer Academic Publishers. The Netherlands.
  6. Cane H (1999) Cosmic ray modulation and the solar magnetic field. Geophys Res Lett 26: 565-568.
  7. Maghrabi A, Kudela K (2019) Relationship between time series Cosmic Ray data and Aerosol optical Properties: 1999-2015. J Solar Terrestrial Physics 190: 36-44.
  8. Dorman L (2008) Space storms as natural hazards. Adv Geosci 14: 271- 275.
  9. Pandit D (2018) Solar activities and its impact on space weather. Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union 13(S340): 149- 150.
  10. Breus T (2008) Some aspects of the biological effects of space weather. J Atmos Sol Terr Phys 70(2-4): 436-441.
  11. Mendoza B, Pena S (2009) Solar activity and human health at middle and low geomagnetic latitudes in Central America. Adv Space Res 46(4): 449-459.
  12. Sidyakin V (1983) Sensitivity of the nervous system to changes in solar activity (literature review),” Zh Nevrol Psikhiat 83(1): 134-137.
  13. Stoupel E (2019) 50 Years in research on space weather effects on human health (Clinical Cosmobiology). EC Cardiology 11: 470-478.
  14. Breus T, Binhi V, Petrukovich A (2016) Magnetic factor of the solar terrestrial relations and its impact on the human body: Physical problems and prospects for research. Phys Usp 59: 502-510.
  15. Palmer S, Rycroft M, Cermack M (2006) Solar and geomagnetic activity, extremely low frequency magnetic and electric fields and human health at the earth’s surface. Surv Geophys 27: 557-595.
  16. Vencloviene J, Babarskiene R, Slapikas, R (2013) The association between solar particle events, geomagnetic storms, and hospital admissions for myocardial infarction. Nat Hazards 65: 1-12.
  17. Durand-Manterola H, Mendoza B, Diaz-Sandoval R (2001) Electric currents induced inside biological cells by geomagnetic and atmospheric phenomena. Adv Space Res 28(4): 679-684.
  18. Krylov V (2017) Biological Effects Related to Geomagnetic Activity and Possible Mechanisms. Bioelectromagnetics 38(7): 497-510.
  19. Cherry N (2002) Schumann resonances, a plausible biophysical mechanism for the human health effects of solar/geomagnetic activity. Nat Hazards 26(3): 279-331.
  20. Burch J, Reif J, Yost M (2008) Geomagnetic activity and human melatonin metabolite excretion. Neurosci Lett 438(1): 76-79.
  21. Weydahl A (2001) Geomagnetic activity influences the melatonin secretion at 70 degrees N. Biomed Pharmocother 55(Suppl 1): 57-62.
  22. Lomb N (1976) Least-squares frequency analysis of unequally spaced data. Astrophys Space Sci 39(2): 447-462.
  23. Scargle J (1982) Studies in astronomical time series analysis. II. Statistical aspects of spectral analysis of unevenly spaced data. Astrophys J 263: 835-853.
  24. Babayev S, Allahverdiyevab A (2007) Effects of geomagnetic activity variations on the physiological and psychological state of functionally healthy humans: Some results of Azerbaijani studies. Advances in Space Research 40(12): 1941-1951.
  25. Chernouss SA (2003) The possibility of assessment of heliogeophysical impact on human health by heart rate variability. J Karazin KhNU Series Med 5: 90-91.
  26. Dimitrova S, Stoilova I, Cholakov I (2004) Influence of local geomagnetic storms on arterial blood pressure. Bioelectromagnetics 25:408-414.
  27. Meshcheriakova S, Breus T, Sosnovskii A (1998) Magnetic storms as a stress factor. Biofizika 43(4): 632-639.
  28. Mulligan B, Persinger M (2012) Experimental simulation of the effects of sudden increases in geomagnetic activity upon quantitative measures of human brain activity: validation of correlational studies. Neurosci Lett 516(1): 54-56.
  29. Breus T, Boiko E, Zenchenko T (2015) Magnetic storms and variations in hormone levels among residents of north polar area Svalbard. Life Sci Space Res 4: 17-21.
  30. Stoupel E (1995) Relationship between immunoglobulin levels and extremes of solar activity. International Journal of Biometeorology 38(2): 89-91.
  31. Kancírová M, Kudela K (2014) The relationship between suicide incidents in Slovakia and the Czech Republic and heliophysical parameters: empirical results. J Astrobiol Outreach 2(2): 1-5.
  32. Stoupel E, Joshua H, Lahav J (1996) Human blood coagulation and geomagnetic activity. Eur J Int Med 7:217–220
  33. Stoupel E (2005) Chromosome aberration and environmental physical activity: Down syndrome and solar and cosmic ray activity. Israel 1990- 2000. International Journal of Biometeorology 50(1): 1-5.
  34. Stoupel E (2009) Congenital heart disease: Correlation with fluctuations in cosmophysical activity, 1995-2005. International Journal of Cardiology 135: 207-210.
  35. Jackman C, McPeters R (2004) The Effect of solar proton events on ozone and other constituents. In: Solar variability and its effects on climate 141: 305-319.
  36. Galpern G (1995) Solar activity and the incidence of foetal chromosome abnormalities detected at prenatal diagnosis. Int J of Biometeorology 39(2): 59-63.
  37. Stoupel E (2006) Monthly new-borns number and environmental physical activity. Medicina 42.2: 238-241.
  38. Lõhmus M (2018) Possible biological mechanisms linking mental health and heat-a contemplative review. Int J of Envir Research and Public Health 15(7): 1515.
Edited by David Silver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, David Silver said:

Who are we to say otherwise? Why would we bother? 

I tried my best to answer the question. 

“Scientist” > blithering internet troll

I'm not the person suggesting Sun Cycles cause riots, wars, and plane crashes. My opinion is that such a suggestion/idea is unscientific without testing. No trolling intended dude.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Silver said:

CONCLUSION

The results from heliobiological investigations carried out in the last 20 years have reported evidence that...

This is why I don't think it is a 100+ year scientific discipline. Thanks for the explanation/links!

Edited by Archmonoth

On 8/31/2022 at 10:47 PM, Archmonoth said:

Heilobiology is putting 2 words together which have overlap of causes and conditions. The science is emerging (which is something David has said before) but there is much which is undefined, untested, and unstudied which might prevent it from being a discipline or branch of science in the formal sense. 

IMHO, to make a solid scientific research and proper testing (like the double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial) it takes a lot of money and nobody makes such huge investment if there is a low chance to make even more money on selling some product or services that requires acceptance by FDA or scientific community.

The epoch when individuals like Newton, Copernicus, Darwin were able to advance some branch of science by oneself had been passed in the first half of the previous century. Since then, any significant scientific breakthrough was done by teams of scientists. Do you know any such team working for free without external funding? 
My hypothesis is that Heliobiology or something similar to it are not going to be taken seriously
until somebody have a way to use it for making money.

I think that the most of the people who suffer from harsh solar weather conditions like David and me 
read/update this topic because they are looking for some sort of clues and remedies for themself, not a rock-solid proof for everyone in the world.
You can blame us for not trying hard enough modern evidence-based medicine practiced by physicians if you wish, we will not argue, but for now modern medicine plus recent findings in Heliobiology give us more help than modern medicine alone.

Edited by Volodymyr Komarov

4 hours ago, Volodymyr Komarov said:

I think that the most of the people who suffer from harsh solar weather conditions like David and me 
read/update this topic because they are looking for some sort of clues and remedies for themself, not a rock-solid proof for everyone in the world.

We also live in the world of the internet where people look for connections to the Sun, Earthquakes, wars, their health, planetary alignments, volcanoes, astrology signs, anything to make sense.

I wasn't asking for rock solid proof; I was asking David why he thought it was a 100+ year discipline. My attitude throughout the thread is objecting or commenting on ideas presented as science, when it's just guesswork. (Like someone's increase in ear wax being connected the Sun). There are even a few pages of me asking for a common language on how to separate guesswork from science and getting called a troll. 

I don't consider the Lunar Effect real, nor QI, or other things brought up in the thread which are only vaguely related to the topic. Its ok to have a difference of opinion, or a different interpretation of a study posted in the thread.

This an internet forum, not a medic advice site, nor a data-point study, nor a place to diagnose your symptoms.

However, I'm not your boss, you can diagnose yourself from an internet forum if you want. "This study says it affects some people! Yup the Sun causes my symptoms!" 

4 hours ago, Volodymyr Komarov said:

You can blame us for not trying hard enough modern evidence-based medicine practiced by physicians if you wish, we will not argue, but for now modern medicine plus recent findings in Heliobiology give us more help than modern medicine alone.

I don't blame anyone in this thread for anything. I have learned much from various posts in this thread, but I don't necessarily come to the same conclusions, nor is there any requirement to do so. 

Never saw this one before. Stroke magazine citing a study dating back to 1981:

“Overall, geomagnetic storms (Ap Index 60+) were associated with 12% increase in the risk of stroke occurrence, with moderate geomagnetic storms showing a 7% increased risk of stroke occurrence, strong geomagnetic storms were associated with a 41% increased risk of stroke occurrence, and severe/extreme geomagnetic storms with a 6% increased risk of stroke occurrence (test for trend, χ2=23.04; df=3; P=3.96×10−5; Table II in the online-only Data Supplement).

Discussion

To the best of our knowledge, this study is the largest to date, a sufficiently statistically powered, individual-participant population-based stroke incidence study of the effects of geomagnetic activity on the risk of first-ever stroke and major pathological stroke types across different populations and age groups. Although subject to ecological fallacy,39 our study is one of the first to provide robust evidence on a population level for the triggering effect of geomagnetic storms on stroke occurrence.

We showed that although geomagnetic storms can account for only 2.64% of all strokes on a population level, exposure to geomagnetic storms (with Ap Index >60) on an individual level increases the relative risk of stroke by 19% across all ages (95% CI, 11%–27%) and by 37% (95% CI, 21%–54%) across those aged <65 years, a risk comparable with the effect of some major well-established modifiable stroke risk factors, such as postmenopause hormone therapy.40 As each patient with stroke in our case-crossover study served as their own control, effectively meaning that stroke cases were matched to controls in terms of known and unknown risk factors except the exposure of interest (geomagnetic storms), our data provided evidence that the observed association of geomagnetic storms with stroke occurrence is independent of other known and unknown cardiovascular risk factors. Moreover, the triggering effects of increased geomagnetic activity on the risk of stroke occurrence were consistent across all study populations and age groups and stroke pathological types. The trend was observed for increased risk of stroke occurrence with increasing severity in geomagnetic storms especially during increased geomagnetic activity over solar maxima years. In contrast to other centers, an inverse association between geomagnetic activity and stroke onset was observed in Melbourne. This is possibly because of data collection for Melbourne occurring during solar minima years (1996–1998) when proportionally lower global geomagnetic activity was observed (Table III in the online-only Data Supplement). The fact that we found a significant inverse association between this low geomagnetic activity and stroke occurrence in Melbourne further supports the notion that high levels of geomagnetic activity (ie, those accompanying geomagnetic storms, predominately during solar maxima years) are important predictors of stroke. The delayed (7 days) triggering effect of exposure to geomagnetic storms on stroke occurrence of any pathological type may be associated with the suggested hazardous effects of geomagnetic activity on blood pressure,2,7 whereas the suggested hazardous effect of geomagnetic activity on heart rate6 and blood viscosity/coagulability41 might be implicated in the observed associations between geomagnetic storms and the increased risk of ischemic stroke. It has been suggested that variations in geomagnetic activities may act to synchronize endogenous circannual and circadian rhythms leading to stroke.8 Our findings on the hazardous triggering effects of increased geomagnetic activity on stroke are in line with some other observations in association with stroke and other vascular events.1,3,5

The main limitation of the study was that we were not able to get individual-participant data from ideal population-based studies in Asia, Africa, North and Latin America. Therefore, our findings need to be confirmed in other regions of the world. Second, although our study covered a period from 1981 to 2005, stroke incidence data in the participating centers were collected during relatively short periods of time and that limited our ability to study associations between stroke occurrence and geomagnetic activity during 11-year cycles of solar maxima periods. Finally, although vascular risk factors are important predictors of stroke, we did not have detailed data across all studies to enable stratified analyses investigating the associations among geomagnetic activity, vascular risk factors, and stroke onset. Nevertheless, the strength and consistency of the independent associations between geomagnetic storms and stroke occurrence, with dose–effect associations, are highly suggestive of the true triggering effect of increased geomagnetic activity and stroke occurrence.

These findings suggest that reducing the hazardous effect of geomagnetic storms (eg, via tighter control of conventional stroke risk factors during the days preceding geomagnetic storms, presenting geomagnetic storm warnings along with weather reports) may reduce stroke incidence on a population level. Although the effect of geomagnetic activity alone is modest, in combination with other risk factors, it could be extremely important. Of 16.9 million new strokes currently happening in the world every year,42 almost a half million of these strokes could be attributed to geomagnetic storms. Our study suggests that geomagnetic activity should be considered along with other well-established risk factors for stroke. Our findings warrant further methodologically robust research in the area, including research into the biological mechanisms (pathogenesis) of the triggering effect of geomagnetic activity and developing new strategies to diminish the hazardous effects of geomagnetic storms on stroke occurrence.”

Stroke magazine, Vol. 45, No. 6, Geomagnetic Storms Can Trigger Stroke

and for the International Stroke Incidence Studies Data Pooling Project Collaborators
Originally published22 Apr 2014
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

Now at Friday, 30th September, I fixed in my region (Latvia, GMT +3) fluctuaions with GPS-tracker of Samsung Health app. Maybe it's influenced by solar activity... When I moving slowly and stay, my GPS fix as start or stop of training as not-calibrated, with false fluctuations when I'm moving or not really. And go inside of house, very "jumping" my GPS tracker also

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Test for anyone solar sensitive or objectively interested in this topic Sunday, Nov 6, 2022: observe your symptoms tonight, tomorrow.

My head began to hurt, and quickly began feeling like it is in a vice, about 7:20pm EST, shortly after this M flare and during an R2 X-ray event. Ear ringing also spiked to 10 along with it. These now-familiar indicators sent me to check NOAA solar data, where I saw the flare occurred and caused this current X ray event (during low KP). I feel nothing, I am happy for you.

4DAB73D5-FA53-4D6B-8DF6-7F774D7DCA17.jpeg

• Thanks 1

hello @David Silver
i just read the whole 13 pages of your thread and wantto virtually shake your and and say thank you very much 🏆
for sharing and keeping the thread alive albeit bein trolled, some comments were real evil, trying to silence you. thank you for enduring and walking through. 

i copied all of the papers you posted and look forward reading them!

i posted a new thread wishing for one like this, because your thread wasn't visible if not logged in! i think thats a shame! shadowbanning a thread talkin about heliobiology in a spaceweatherforum  speaks loads about the mindset they are locked in. never forget the story of  how uranus was found or why and how the james webb space telescope got its name!...thinking - and feeling - out of the box is what made the biggest advances in science, and almost all these researchers where treated like s*** before they had their breakthrough. some didnt survive it, died poor and lonely.

so i copypaste my thread in here (and close mine and foward to here, but i dont know yet, if i will keep my account, i'm really disappointed by this discriminating shadowbanning of such an important topic relating to spaceweather):

solar activity and health-issues (pain)

since topic https://community.spaceweatherlive.com/topic/1449-geomagnetic-fluctuations-and-seizures/
was closed, and in another topic somebody asked me to do a forumthread about it, so here we go!

First i'd like to ask especially the sceptics to hold back on attacks about correlation. Do your own thread on correlation if you like, thx.
and i'm sure, the posters here will all have seen a looot of doctors allready, so spare us this kind of comment too pls. lets be friendly, respect- and helpful to each other.

i'd like to share and hope you'll share too:
1. stories about different healthissues in observed relation to solar events
2. what parameters and sources (links!) do you use to verify a relation
3. share links to scientific work and research about this
4. post what helps you, cause this gives insight in whats reacting, elaborate/link if you can
5. eventually using here our sensitivity for proof! cause i know, we can be or are faster than nasa! (how often did spaceweather ask itself, if that cme will hit us, and i thought: i'm 100% sure it will, cause my pain is rising, and i'm allways right)
6. last but not least: not being alone or feelin' crazy with that sensitivity or healthissue
7., etc please add important points!

main aim: help each other to learn and understand, verify, explore and share the issue.

so i gather all my courage and tell my story...:
i suffer from chronic pain, due to an  accident, but there was also a severe bacterial infection and a severe poisoning at work in the beginning years. my tissue goes hot when pain rises, immobilising.

2008 i met a woman, working in brain, psychology and children, she suffered from pain too, multiple sclerosis, and i lamented, that i didnt understood those days i had stronger pain, without having done too much or done something bad. she replied: "oh! we have geomagnetic storm today! me too! (pain)".

she had to tell me on 3 different occasions over many months, (everytime the same: i had done nothing to have this much pain) before i started to investigate this, because i thought she's a bit crazy although she was very smart...
also the tourette-syndrome man on the other side of the street was freakin out, shouting loud on his balcony when this geomagnetic activity was high. i was becoming curious.

she gave me this link:
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/real-time-solar-wind
i didnt understand and started to learn.
i found spaceweather.com, a site that explained a lot, but pain didnt match allways. was it the cme? the flare? the protons? the electrons? the geoactivity? what protons do is very interesting, see wikipedia!
i expanded more and more, nasa's site and links were very helpful, i wanted data and explanations.

i used pretty much of what you find here on spaceweatherlive.com and more.
a lot matched, but not everything! for me the correlation wasnt 100% yet.

until the day i found lasco c2+c3 combo. combo was a revelation. suddenly everything matched. allways. every single painattack.
see:
https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/solar-images/soho.html, click the film-icon and click "48hr diff combo". (before i used https://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/mpeg/)

i hear the cme's. combo revealed, that i can hear the farside flares and cme's nearly as loud as the frontsides (before combo i hadnt a match for the farside-events i heard and felt) resulting in " surprise auroras" and for me: pain.
i can tell today by the amount and type of pain what kp and proton/cm³ we have. i can tell by the high tone i hear, what category flare we have (i have no tinnitus, cause i hear it only while flares and cme's). especially the high tone makes me faster than nasa, having to wait everytime up to 10 minutes to see the flare in the stats, with protons i have to wait even longer to see excess, up to 48hrs for big farsides, see erne data
https://srl.utu.fi/erne_data/
kiruna is also important for me:
https://www2.irf.se/Observatory/?link=Magnetometers
but combo totally ruled to show me i wasnt mad, when i saw all the farside stuff goin on there, which wouldnt appear as a strong flux or cme in the stats, but my pain indicated, and on combo you could see, when the farside was "exploding".

one day, i didnt know then what i was hearing, i ran out to the street and asked people " didn't you hear that? what was that?!!!", but nobody heard it. later, when i found the archive here, i found out: it was a x-flare! and i tracked all my hospitaltimes, all the severe brakedowns, i have everything in a pain diary... and everything matches, every single episode of severe, immobilising pain is related to strong flares, cme's, coronal holes, strong protonhit, strong earth shaking through geomagnetism.

so for me and manymany others who suffer and track healtheffects from solar events, this isnt a " believe-thing", its a fact. i organise my days so to do important things before the earth gets the full hit and i cant move anymore. made my live a lot better, believe me!

big studies like this one:
Environmental variables and the risk of disease
Torbjörn Messner
Published online: 01 Dec 2005
https://doi.org/10.3402/ijch.v64i5.18033
free access:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.3402/ijch.v64i5.18033
these kind of studies focus on the "drop dead factor", but its like the poison and the bees: you can poison them with all the  pesticides allowed, they won't drop dead directly (thats why the poisons stay allowed), but they are severely impacted and weakened and die slowly (find for example their way home no more). its the same with solar events: they have an impact, the researchers say in the " discussion" part, that there's a lot more to investigate and point to ongoing research. but the media and "shortreaders" just read: no correlation. and yes, i dont drop dead, but i'm like an antenna, my pain is the scale. and knowing about that and acting accordingly is helpful.

what helps me:
- artemisia annua, but only very good quality, helps against inflammationpeaks. its a free radical catcher, and protonstorms enhance free radicals, and it has a lot of iron and other useful anti-inflammatory ingredients and its not harming the stomach.
- and magn cl², in crystalform, much cheaper than the "ready-oil", make your own "oil"! i dont know why they call it oil, its water and this magnesium chlorid (salty!). i put it on hard muscles, relaxes nearly instantly without swallowing. but careful with eyes and nose etc, its very very salty and burns like hell on open wounds!!! read wiki to learn what magn cl² does on cell- and nervebasis. and add a layer good oil for the skin over the magn cl², cause it dries the skin and in the winter it " makes cold aka attracts water/humidity", but not with oil on it (dont mix it, first the magn cl2 water, second, wait a bit, the skinoil=better result)

since the sun gains activity again, my pain is rising accordingly. how about you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1