Heliobiology Research

David Silver
Go to solution Solved by David Silver,

It could be ragweed.

Or mold, tree, grass or other weed pollen in the air that triggers seasonal allergies.

The pollen count for some of these peak in the Spring around March and in the Fall around October.

The seasonal variation of magnetic storms peak in frequency of occurrence during these months as well.

https://www.sws.bom.gov.au/Educational/3/1/5

What I would suggest is the need to collect more data including many other factors.  Run statistical analyses of correlations, covariances, etc. to determine if there is a strong case to declare a specific independent cause that is the driver of particular physiological response.

• Like 2

Hi, thanks for commenting. Allergies certainly have many negative physical effects anyone should consider. But to not change the subject, we’re really only talking about known and current research on health effects from solar weather.

For instance, the M flare we had around August 28th woke me up a couple minutes after it happened with a stabbing migraine, in the typical right temple geomagnetic storm location most others suffer with. I’m past speculation or correlation; this thread is about causation and more to learn about various heliobiology research.

Edited by David Silver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Cool 1

Hi David. 

I've been researching cycles of investor optimism and pessimism for many years but have only recently come upon this forum and the field of heliobiology.  Perhaps the following info is well known to you and others on the forum, but I find the topic of this article new and interesting:  "Anatoly Delyukov · Lyudmila Didyk The effects of extra-low-frequency atmospheric pressure oscillations on human mental activity, Received: 22 August 1997/Revised: 3 December 1998/Accepted: 25 February 1999."  I have put the authors' publicly available abstract below.  

This info is interesting to me because my measures of collective investor optimism/pessimism appear to correlate over short horizons (e.g. several weeks) with Oulu's neutron data series in its UNCORRECTED form (not corrected for atmospheric pressure variations). 

In some situations, cycles of investor reaction actually precede the cycles apparent in the Oulu uncorrected series.  If I my understanding is correct, a potential hypothesis is that humans (investors in my data) detect some sort of a disturbance BEFORE electromagnetic disturbances hit earth. and possibly more CONCURRERNTLY with changes in slight atmospheric pressure oscillations, which may have a solar source.  I am working to develop a robust dataset to test this hypothesis.  

But this would explain you and others having reactions to solar activity in advance of the solar activity's EM forces actually reaching earth (did I understand your comment correctly?).  Some sort of solar-related force (but not electromagnetic) may be influencing the slight APOs.   

The reactions you report may be best explained by the electromagnetic forces, so the APOs might be only a small factor for you. 

Have you encountered the Delyekov/Didyk work?  If so, any insights how to track slight atmospheric pressure oscillations?  Any info on other forces that affect human behavior that may affect earth prior to electromagnetic waves?  

Best regards,

Space Oscillations 

-------------------------

Abstract:  .1:Abstract Slight atmospheric pressure oscillations (APO) in the extra-low-frequency range below 0.1 Hz, which frequently occur naturally, can influence human mental activity. This phenomenon has been observed in experiments with a group of 12 healthy volunteers exposed to experimentally created APO with amplitudes 30–50 Pa in the frequency band 0.011–0.17 Hz. Exposure of the subjects to APO for 15–30 min caused significant changes in attention and short-term memory functions, performance rate, and mental processing flexibility. The character of the response depended on the APO frequency and coherence. Periodic APO promoted purposeful mental activity, accompanied by an increase in breath-holding duration and a slower heart rate. On the other hand, quasi-chaotic APO, similar to the natural perturbations of atmospheric pressure, disrupted mental activity. These observations suggest that APO could be partly responsible for meteorosensitivity in humans.

Edited by Space Oscillations
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know enough about the energy that arrives more quickly preceding CMEs (aside from X-rays), or Earth’s global electric circuit in detail and how it relates to APO, but I can tell you that 6 hours prior to tonight’s impact, my symptoms increased significantly. Bz negative allows more energy into our system, whereas when Bz is positive the Earth’s field defects and it’s almost a non-event.

David,

Yes, I felt the CME before it arrived too. You mention feeling lonely because others don’t feel the same. Many of my friends are helio-sensitive too, but we are in different regions of the world. Often, one of us will feel the energy before the others or the impact is regional so it’s not 100% synced. I have noticed that “regular” people are influenced even though they don’t realize it when they are suddenly quite tired or have a headache and attribute it to something else. Before I realized i was influenced by solar dynamics, when I felt really tired, I just wrote it off to a bad night’s sleep or joked that it was a “double gravity day.”

Posting some research here, which may interest you (or the various sources note)…

https://biomedscis.com/pdf/OAJBS.ID.000203.pdf

I often check research using academia.edu as well.

Another source of influence for me are big storms and weather systems. Have you followed the Schumann Resonance or the work of HeartMath?

Also, curious if you have ever tried salt baths during these “events” to reset your system.

Kind regards,

Christine

• Like 4

Hi David! Thanks for sharing these articles with us!

I'm new here, just come regularly to check the space weather, because I'm heliosensitive too. I'm also a professional astronomer (work in Russia), but not in Solar Dynamics, so I'm a bit familiar with the topic.

I have OCD from my childhood and I almost always react to solar storms and activity with sudden intensifying of my symptoms. Knowing that it was caused by solar weather just helps me to cope with it and return to work. I noticed that link in 2009 when I was a student of the faculty of Physics and soon after I got to know NOAA SWPC site. Initially I noticed that sudden raise of Kp indices correlates with my causeless bursts of anxiety and sometimes even panic attacs. It may be just a rapid raise from Kp0 to Kp3. When I understood that Kp indices are averaged on time I looked to magnetometer data and noticed that sudden drop or raise causes my mental problems with 1-hour accuracy. Interesting that during long periods of solar activity the "threshold" of my sensitivity rises - I react to bigger events only. According to the recent studies OCD is related to serotonin methabolism (Serotonin transporter missense mutation associated with a complex neuropsychiatric phenotype | Molecular Psychiatry (nature.com)) The first article you mentioned also points out that solar activity affects serotonin/melatonin balance, so it's very likely there is some link.

• Like 3

The control group required would have to be sheltered from the Sun entirely. They would have to be underground, in a chamber, somewhere with no sunlight, and the sample size would have to include many people, since the variables on human biology are massive. 

Psychological issues are even more variable, since the definitions and classifications are behavioral and self reported conditions. 

Is it the Sun? Or is it the culture, genetics, diet, sleep cycle, individual hysteresis (past conditions)? How are variables omitted/reduced? The very first link describes a study with only 16 people over 5 months. Perhaps a larger sample size would define the impact clearly? 

For example: Vitamin D is processed and created by exposure to the Sun. Vitamin D has measurable biological effects, which can be replicated without sunlight. 

Helios-sensitivity sounds borderline pseudo/new age, since "Sun activity" could mean a variety of things.

I understand daylight, and sleep cycles can impact human biology. 

Solar flares? Doubtful...

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Tara and Cyber, nice to meet you, and thanks for detailed replies. I’ve also spent a year objectively charting my symptoms and geomagnetic conditions, being careful not to confirm my bias…I personally no longer have and doubt or question.

And, Heliobiology is not really under debate any longer. Again, read the abstracts above. There are dozens of others. 

I’m not sure about previous solar cycles bc I was unaware of this topic. I can say the past 5-6 I was largely unaffected. Only in the past 12 months during this initial phase of the new solar cycle, I’m surprisingly affected. This is similar to my lifetime of being affected by the full moon, typically worst a day or two before the full moon peak, (but also depending on the rise/set timing.)

Are you familiar with the ACES test? (Adverse Chilhood Experiences) The short explanation is that if you rank a 5 on the test, your physiology is affected such that you are 5 times more likely to develop serious illness, 5 times more likely to be symptomatic. Not to get too personal, but I’m an 8 on ACEs and can attest to a lifetime of physical problems as a result. I agree the hysteresis, ; ) your history and complex resulting development, is a key factor in being heliosensitive or not. If you’re not, you’re lucky.

The research shows that this largely affects those who don’t quickly auto regulate stressors ( ie, PTSD, C-PTSD, and likely OCD, adhd, are within that spectrum). It’s gratifying to discuss this, thank you.

Edited by David Silver
  • Like 1

The research wouldn't need to be done under super controlled environments. There would be needing to know that things aren't happening by chance. Having something happen to you and then checking for solar activity just won't stick scientifically. I am fairly certain two different timelines of multiple events where they can be brought together later to find the results is the way to go for future research on the topic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David Silver said:

And, Heliobiology is not really under debate any longer. Again, read the abstracts above. There are dozens of others. 

You might not have any doubt, but that doesn't mean its fact. It sounds like you found a language to describe your symptoms and conclude they are from the Sun, rather than local systems. Have you eliminated other potential causes like diet, or chemicals like caffeine, drugs, alcohol? Finding something that makes sense to you, personally doesn't mean its true. 

This is similar to my lifetime of being affected by the full moon, typically worst a day or two before the full moon peak, (but also depending on the rise/set timing.)

Regardless of the persistence of this myth, the Lunar effect is not real. There are plenty of studies I could post, but I urge you to be more critical of what you accept as fact. 

Are you familiar with the ACES test? (Adverse Chilhood Experiences) The short explanation is that if you rank a 5 on the test, your physiology is affected such that you are 5 times more likely to develop serious illness, 5 times more likely to be symptomatic. Not to get too personal, but I’m an 8 on ACEs and can attest to a lifetime of physical problems as a result. I agree the hysteresis, ; ) your history and complex resulting development, is a key factor in being heliosensitive or not. If you’re not, you’re lucky.

The research shows that this largely affects those who don’t quickly auto regulate stressors ( ie, PTSD, C-PTSD, and likely OCD, adhd, are within that spectrum). It’s gratifying to discuss this, thank you.

Trauma has many consequences on the human mind and body, but using the Sun to explain them is not science. 

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 6:34 AM, David Silver said:

I don’t know enough about the energy that arrives more quickly preceding CMEs (aside from X-rays), or Earth’s global electric circuit in detail and how it relates to APO, but I can tell you that 6 hours prior to tonight’s impact, my symptoms increased significantly. Bz negative allows more energy into our system, whereas when Bz is positive the Earth’s field defects and it’s almost a non-event.

hi David
from what i glean the cme passed earth for 6 hours beginning 6 hours prior to tonights impact. 

Archmonoth, I think you might enjoy a different thread more. I don’t have the time, energy and typing prowess to explain the detailed answer of my 50 year experience to you. Especially when someone is so married to their black and white opinion, I find it is pointless. The purpose of this thread is to share the ongoing research on this topic, have you read those abstracts above?  Based on my experience, my objective analysis, and the modern scientific data, I trust the medical scientists more than random internet guy opinions. Please don’t be a bully. We are suffering, and finding others to discuss it with provides a rare source of relief.

I understand why you don’t understand. It’s weird. It’s beyond our control. C-PTSD and trauma symptoms and the resulting dysfunction in self regulating stressors is hard for you to imagine, and easy for you to ignore. 

Our bodies are bioelectric meat, not only affected by changes in atmospheric pressure, but also the electromagnetic changes around us. It’s not hard to understand really.

Here’s another recent Heliobiology study, to stay on topic:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S001393512101361X

“Increased solar activity and geomagnetic disturbances are associated with significant decreases in peripheral leukocytes.

The associations remained similar after controlling for ambient air pollution.

Melatonin secretion and nervous system dysregulation are the hypothesized mechanisms of this association”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Silver said:

Archmonoth, I think you might enjoy a different thread more. I don’t have the time, energy and typing prowess to explain the detailed answer of my 50 year experience to you. Especially when someone is so married to their black and white opinion, I find it is pointless. The purpose of this thread is to share the ongoing research on this topic

You have plenty to share, but don't have the energy? 

have you read those abstracts above?

I did, and mentioned the sample group of being only 16 people. I think it is a worthy observation of analyzing studies. You might not, but that's my opinion of the study. 

Based on my experience, my objective analysis, and the modern scientific data, I trust the medical scientists more than random internet guy opinions.

To me, you are a random internet guy. Your experience is not an objective study. 

Please don’t be a bully. We are suffering, and finding others to discuss it with provides a rare source of relief.

I don't discount your experiences, I discount the explanations you are suggesting for your suffering (solar phenomena, lunar effects), and then claiming they are fact. Using your suffering to express you opinion as fact is what I object to.

I understand I am being critical and is seen as adversarial. 

I understand why you don’t understand. It’s weird. It’s beyond our control. C-PTSD and trauma symptoms and the resulting dysfunction in self regulating stressors is hard for you to imagine, and easy for you to ignore. 

I don't discount or deny these things, I am critical of the suggested cause being solar activity. 

Our bodies are bioelectric meat, not only affected by changes in atmospheric pressure, but also the electromagnetic changes around us. It’s not hard to understand really.

With shielding around our nerves?

We are bio-electric meat, under an magnetic shield, beneath a 100mile atmosphere, under clouds and weather, under buildings and blankets, under clothing and skin, and under all that, we have Myelin, which is a specific sheathing for our nerves to protect against autonomic disruption from external forces. Myelin - Wikipedia 

Multiple sclerosis is the condition of degraded Myelin, which I don't doubt the effects.

Here’s another recent Heliobiology study, to stay on topic:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S001393512101361X

Again, like vitamin D, I don't discount chemical creation for internal human biology. This study doesn't validate the entirety of heliosensitivty, and I think you know this.

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1

I like discussion. Arguing online is dumb. I understand myelin sheaths, how stress corrodes them, etc. I’m actually fairly healthy in that regard. Eat avocados, long chain fatty acid repairs the sheath… But I definitely started this thread to collect heliobiology data, not argue w trolls.

I’ll start another thread called “Argue if Heliobiology is Real” for you special. That’s not the purpose of this thread, thank you.

Vitamin D = photons/ light converted in your body. Far more particles than photons strike your body simultaneously.

The Earth’s 125 mile atmosphere IS an electromagnetic field. They are not separate, and we are not “shielded”. When KP is 0, and as the field diminishes rapidly in general, we are increasingly affected.  Every cell in your body is a dipole giving and taking a charge. You are circulating ions with your blood cells. (No one said anything about the nerve myelin having anything to do with this anyway, super random.) You are permeated all day every day by external radiation, rays, particles from many sources. Be lucky you don’t feel it.

There are multiple abstracts above. Here is more science:

An increase in SW density results in an increase in the dynamic pressure on the magnetosphere, its restructuring, and a change in the geometry and quality factor of an ionospheric duct. As a consequence, the parameters of Schumann resonances change, Pc1 pulsations are generated, and infrasound generation is intensified. All these processes are discussed in the literature as affecting the biological systems. Thus, it is reasonable to consider just the moment of SW density increase as the beginning of magnetosphere changes with biotropic effect.”

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1134/S0001433811070085

Edited by David Silver
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, David Silver said:

I understand myelin sheaths, how stress corrodes them, etc. I’m actually fairly healthy in that regard. Eat avocados, long chain fatty acid repairs the sheath… But I definitely started this thread to collect heliobiology data, not argue w trolls.

If they shield your nerves from external radiation, why wouldn't it be relevant? I am doubtful of many of the suggested impacts of studies you are posting, and I am trying to understand the mechanics of HOW the disruption gets into biological systems which are robust against such disturbances. 

Vitamin D = photons/ light converted in your body. Far more particles than photons strike your body simultaneously.

Through a chemical process, not disruption of neurons, since they are shielded from such disruption. I don't doubt photosynthesis in plants, or light depravation in winter months affects mental states in animals. Those mechanisms makes sense, and the studies are robust. 

The Earth’s 125 mile atmosphere IS an electromagnetic field. They are not separate, and we are not “shielded”. When KP is 0, and as the field diminishes rapidly in general, we are increasingly affected.  Every cell in your body is a dipole giving and taking a charge. You are circulating ions with your blood cells. (No one said anything about the nerve myelin having anything to do with this anyway, super random.) You are permeated all day every day by external radiation, rays, particles from many sources. Be lucky you don’t feel it.

I feel sun burns, I feel the lack of light, and I don't doubt those. I'm trying to parse apart the ball of knots you are asserting. 

For example, when astronauts are in space, they are bombarded by all sorts of radiation, and they can be affected substantially, because they are not shielded. They can even hallucinate through the stimulation of the nerves/chemicals in their eyes called phosphenes. Cosmic ray visual phenomena - Wikipedia

We are shielded enough to prevent such phenomena from affecting us on earth with all that atmosphere, and clouds and such. 

There are multiple abstracts above. Here is more science:

An increase in SW density results in an increase in the dynamic pressure on the magnetosphere, its restructuring, and a change in the geometry and quality factor of an ionospheric duct. As a consequence, the parameters of Schumann resonances change, Pc1 pulsations are generated, and infrasound generation is intensified. All these processes are discussed in the literature as affecting the biological systems. Thus, it is reasonable to consider just the moment of SW density increase as the beginning of magnetosphere changes with biotropic effect.”

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1134/S0001433811070085

"Thus it is reasonable to consider..."  could mean whatever you want. 

Infrasound and Schuman resonances are extremely low frequencies, less than the disruption your cell phone would cause. 

• Like 1

Since this thread exists for the purpose of heliosensitive people discussing our experience, and sharing research on the topic, I would normally not engage with someone who fits the description in the original post in which I requested skeptics go somewhere else.

But you’re so woefully misinformed I have no choice but to correct these painful errors for anyone reading who cares about reality, medical science or the topic of heliobiology.

You posit a lot of nonsequitir false narratives: we don’t know the mechanism that causes one to be heliosensitive or how it works, but your random focus on myelin and neurons is nonsensical. Nonetheless, I’ll bite:

Your nervous system is not a closed loop with insulated wires. I’m glad you believe in sunburns, but do you also believe in the cosmic rays that fly through your body on a daily basis? Do you believe your water-filled meatsack is electrically conductive, immersed within in and constantly affected by surrounding electromagnetic fields? In fact, energy is the basis of our being. You have the luxury of clearly not thinking much about such things, because you don’t need to, unlike heliosensitive people. Your nervous system includes, and one might say in entirely based upon, your brain. Your brain is energized by metabolized energy from food and air(ions), but also is energized by your surroundings, radiation, em fields, rays, particles, esp the sun, moon, Earth. Lots of folks have a mechanistic view of the body, it’s ok if we don’t agree about bioenergy.

Disruption of the complex bioelectric chemical process involving neurotransmitters melatonin, serotonin, dopamine, others is currently suspected to be a cause of the pain, insomnia, migraines, and other symptoms some of us experience, above baseline, during geomagnetic disturbance. Based on MY experience, I have an assumption that an individual’s preexisting personal brain development and inability to regulate stressors is the cause for this hypersensitivity that you enjoy not having.

When in a few years this topic becomes more mainstream, and you learn it is a medical problem that some people experience, you may have an experience of increased awareness of that time you were trolling a heliobiology post and annoying a group of suffering people with your unhelpful commentary. Sort of like going to a fibromyalgia group a decade ago and arguing the condition doesn’t exist, while the people reading are there looking for answers and help. 

Cosmic, dude 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281669809_Impact_of_Galactic_Cosmic_Rays_on_Earth's_Atmosphere_and_Human_Health

“Cosmic rays entering the Earths atmosphere reach the biosphere and induce a variety of biological effects such as cell killing and
mutation, chromosome aberration, carcinogenesis, blood pressure, heart beat rates, etc.“
Edited by David Silver
  • Like 2

Studies on the influence of geomagnetic storms on the human brain functional state of healthy adult women patients (permanent group) in states of relaxation, photo-stimulation and hyper-ventilation have revealed a negative influence of severe geomagnetic storms on functional state of the human brain. As a rule, during periods of strong geomagnetic disturbances, indisposition, weakness and presence of indistinct localized headaches were recorded for majority of patients. Complex of nonspecific shifts on EEG reflects disorganization of functional activity of cortex of large hemispheres of the human brain at geomagnetically disturbed days, which is likely connected with dysfunction of integrative subcortical systems, with disbalance of its ascending synchronizing and desynchronizing influences. Imbalance of activating and deactivating mechanisms including dysfunctions of ergo- and tropho-tropic over-segmentary centers was registered. Strengthening cortical connections in the right cortical hemisphere and their short circuit on temporal sections during geomagnetically disturbed days were observed, while, in geomagnetically quiet days, a profile of correlation interrelations reflected weak internal- and inter-hemispheric connections. The threshold of convulsive (spasmodic) readiness of the human brain is reduced, which is especially dangerous for risk group persons. It is established that, in general, weak and moderate geomagnetic storms exert stimulating influence while strong disturbances of geomagnetic conditions activate braking (inhibiting) processes. 

Geomagnetic Storms and their Influence on the Human Brain Functional State

• Thanks 1