CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

Heliobiology Research

David Silver
Go to solution Solved by David Silver,

Animals OTHER than human beings have been reported in many scientific papers as showing effects under controlled experimental conditions from extremely-low-frequency fluctuations in weak magnetic fields. For example:

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsif.2012.1046

"Here we show that nociception in mice is altered by a 30 Hz field with a peak amplitude more than 1000 times weaker than the static component of the geomagnetic field."

The normal magnetic environment of the mice was controlled for by keeping them in cages made of mu-metal. That leads me to ask:

Has anyone. posting here. experimented with shielding themselves from magnetism? 

It would be more expensive than shielding from electric fields or electromagnetic radiation but perfectly feasible. 

If someone really is sensitive enough to get blinding headaches and roaring tinnitus from natural fluctuations in his environment, he would make an excellent experimental subject.

• Like 1

Cool, thanks, just finished wrapping my house in aluminum foil, should be all set now. 😁

New study published Dec 2021

Atmosphere magazine

space weather phenomena can influence the human physiological state and can be related to variations of physiological parameters or the number of incidents of different diseases.
Publications related to the research of the possible effect of solar and geomagnetic activity and variations of CRI on the human physiological state have increased in the last decades. A number of scientific papers show that cardiovascular, nervous, and other functional systems respond to changes in geophysical factors. After all, according to Chijevskii, ‘even a not so important stimulus can cause a gradual or momentary increase in instability and the body can be led to death. This stimulus may come from a change in meteorological or geophysical factors’ [64]. These new data in the literature confirm the fact that further research on these basic issues for human activities is necessary. The modern scientific fields of physics and space weather specifically study the effects of energetic solar particles on the proper functioning and reliability of terrestrial and satellite technology systems, as well as human health (European Space Agency—Space Weather, Brussels, Belgium).

Alas, aluminium does not shield from magnetism. Otherwise, the cheap tin foil hat might be the way to go.

You need a ferromagnetic metal. A small garden shed (or 'the sulk shed,' as it is called in my family) could be shielded in mild steel for about a thousand pounds. If it were decided that staying in it was not beneficial to health, the money cost could be largely recovered, as the steel plates would not need to be machined in any way.

I mean if you want to discuss it, technically plastic including tupperware should never contact your food, because there is a molecular exchange and the plastic molecules in your bloodstream unfortunately interfere with your endocrine system as they mimic hormones and block receptors. https://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/endocrine/index.cfm But hey that's not what we're taking about.

@dave I kind of love your suggestion that I live the rest of my days sulking in a faraday shed/mancave, but instead my approach with medical professionals is to dial down my hyperactive amygdala and overreactive systems. Also, because solar activity also can generate induced ground current on Earth, it would need a insulated floor too...🙃

But meanwhile, check out that new study I posted above. I can't help but notice the similarity of the general sentiment about these seemingly subtle atmospheric changes and "weak" fields.

"even a not so important stimulus can cause a gradual or momentary increase in instability and the body can be led to death. This stimulus may come from a change in meteorological or geophysical factors’"

""Here we show that nociception in mice is altered by a 30 Hz field with a peak amplitude more than 1000 times weaker than the static component of the geomagnetic field."

Edited by David Silver

• 2 weeks later...

Wow the past 24 hours of electrons increasing to the space weather alert threshold is all it takes for my daily tinnitus to go from normal and deal-able, to 10 out of 10 and totally awful. Im glad you don't have this problem.

2009 study I somehow missed.  CBT does not work for me personally. Im too far into the hypersensitive spectrum.

National Institute of Health

"Our data indicate that tinnitus is associated with subjective electromagnetic hypersensitivity. An individual vulnerability probably due to an over activated cortical distress network seems to be responsible for, both, electromagnetic hypersensitivity and tinnitus. Hence, therapeutic efforts should focus on treatment strategies (e.g. cognitive behavioral therapy) aiming at normalizing this dysfunctional distress network."

This is exactly correct. I have an over activated cortical distress network. It is not super fun. Anyway, happy holidays everyone. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 4.00.16 PM.png

• Like 1

Ok, topic change as reply:

No, not too much. I had slight disturbance a few days ago from the KP bouncing up and down, but it was easy to ignore…nothing is as significant a stressor as when that electron threshold is high, which I believe is caused by solar wind. Worse when KP is zero and Bz is negative. But it’s not right now.

Bz has been pretty flat, so I’m surprised that I’m so affected today, but I am. Maybe feeling some component of the inbound storm? Earth-directed X-rays arrive on Earth in seconds. What other particles arrive in the days prior to the CME? Just “electrons-in-general”? That’s new territory I believe. Not much data.

I do not know. Typically a CME comes with increased KP, which causes the Earth’s electromagnetic field to “respond” with stronger EM field that largely shields us.

Maybe my random report will help some other sufferers or a future researcher who finds this thread. Would love for an actual scientist involved in Heliobiology research to read and respond.

• Cool 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 11:14 PM, David Silver said:

Hello, I’m starting this thread because I am trying to learn more from scientific-minded folks. Please don’t speculate or be mean. I’m aiming to collect and discuss data. If you are unaware or skeptical about the topic, consider yourself lucky.

I am over 50. I have always been unusually affected by the sun and moon, and am overtly aware that human beings are bioelectric. I am hypersensitive due to a medical condition, while most are not affected…However, in the past 12 months, it has greatly intensified. I have seen multiple medical professionals and had MRIs. When the IMF and Bz are negative, my symptoms intensify.

Heliobiology is not a widely-available topic, but I have seen a recent uptick in research papers, with surprising data. Such as, are you aware that during a geomagnetic storm, human blood viscosity can increase as much as 20 percent?!

I’ll start:

“1. Increase in solar wind intensity was correlated with increases in heart rate, which we interpret as a biological stress response. Increase in cosmic rays, solar radio flux, and Schumann resonance power was all associated with increased HRV and parasympathetic activity. The findings support the hypothesis that energetic environmental phenomena affect psychophysical processes that can affect people in different ways depending on their sensitivity, health status and capacity for self-regulation.
It appears that sharp or sudden variations in geomagnetic and solar activity as well as geomagnetic storms can act as stressors, which alter regulatory processes such as melatonin/serotonin balance...”

“2. Over the last 20 years, several research papers have presented the results of investigating the relationships between space weather parameters and human health. Some of these results are summarized below. Solar activity may contribute to the development of and be a trigger of the exacerbation of nervous and mental disorders, such schizophrenia, Alzheimer’s disease, and multiple sclerosis

a) High values of geomagnetic activity have a negative effect on human cardiovascular health that includes significant variations in heart rate variability.  
b) The number of incidents of alterations in blood flow is increased (increased systolic and diastolic blood pressure and  epileptic seizures) during the solar activity periods .
c)  Incidents of coronary disease and myocardial infarction  increase during spans of high solar activity, as compared to years with low solar activity. 
d) Sharp or sudden variations in geomagnetic and solar activity can act as stressors, which alter regulatory processes such as breathing, reproductive, and increase total deaths total deaths .
e) Several studies support the idea that geomagnetic disturbances decrease the melatonin levels in the human body. 
f) Positive correlations exist between neurological system diseases (ie, depression and mental illness) and geomagnetic  activity . 
g) The standard metabolism and behaviour patterns of humans and other species are affected by solar activity .
h) Solar disturbances are associated with significant increases in hospital admissions for suicide attempts, homicides,  and traffic accidents .
i) Investigations of the blood of tested patients have shown that the viscosity of blood during solar activity periods increases sharply, so the risk of developing morbid cardiovascular system disease is increased... 

Lets please discuss and learn more. Thanks.

I am glad I joined this group and read. I can honestly say I had to keep looking at space weather live because after the holloween incident there was "something in the air" and going off looking for northern lights on a dark mountain top gave me such a rush it was unreal. I just figured I was excited.

Lately with all of the flares and storms I have been trying to correlate when they arrive on earth and how strong at what time are they hitting where I am at, but the time conversion is a bit tricky.

I absolutely believe humans not only can feel the effects mentally and physically but I speculate a powerful human mind could process the energy and possibly, someday manipulate it! (But that'salways just a good sci Fi story away)

Looking forward to reading all the posts and learning and growing with this group.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:40 AM, David Silver said:

I mean if you want to discuss it, technically plastic including tupperware should never contact your food, because there is a molecular exchange and the plastic molecules in your bloodstream unfortunately interfere with your endocrine system as they mimic hormones and block receptors. https://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/endocrine/index.cfm But hey that's not what we're taking about.

@dave I kind of love your suggestion that I live the rest of my days sulking in a faraday shed/mancave, but instead my approach with medical professionals is to dial down my hyperactive amygdala and overreactive systems. Also, because solar activity also can generate induced ground current on Earth, it would need a insulated floor too...🙃

But meanwhile, check out that new study I posted above. I can't help but notice the similarity of the general sentiment about these seemingly subtle atmospheric changes and "weak" fields.

"even a not so important stimulus can cause a gradual or momentary increase in instability and the body can be led to death. This stimulus may come from a change in meteorological or geophysical factors’"

""Here we show that nociception in mice is altered by a 30 Hz field with a peak amplitude more than 1000 times weaker than the static component of the geomagnetic field."

If you ever build such a place I would come visit. I bet it's quite relaxing. I bet tons of people would come to chi, work, meditate and yoga in such a place. As 5g takes over and those antennae being so low to the ground I can easily see some genius building 7-11 rest stops, with ZEN ROOMS lined with protective alloys and insulated floors. Maybe a gift shop on the way out stocked with powerful brain foods, recharging water and crystals.

Maybe an oxygen bar too.

It seems silly but I think plenty of people would appreciate it.

There is a lot of laughter and ridicule about being emf sensitive but I think the increase in geomagnetic storms can also increase our electronics and make even regular people sensitive without them even knowing! It seems getting away from it all is virtually impossible unless there are designated spaces.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

during intense magnetic storms, high geoelectric amplitude hazards are realized across electrically resistive, igneous and metamorphic rock of the Appalachian Mountains and the New England Highlands, while low geoelectric hazards are realized across electrically conductive, sedimentary rock of the Appalachian Plateau and the Mid-Atlantic Coastal Plain.”

US Gov Space Weather journal

“…operational stress during intense magnetic storms—of 13–14 March 1989 caused numerous operational “anomalies” in northeastern power grid systems (North American Electric Reliability Corporation, NERC, 1990) and it damaged a high-voltage transformer at the nuclear power plant in Salem, New Jersey (Barnes et al., 1991; Rossi, 1990). The same storm precipitated the collapse of the Hydro-Québec power grid system to the north, in Canada (Béland & Small, 2005; Bolduc, 2002), leaving 6 million people without electricity for 9 hr (e.g., Allen et al., 1989). Since then, some researchers (e.g., Kappenman, 2012) have suggested that the power grid systems of the United States, and of the northeast, in particular, might be vulnerable to the future arrival of a rare magnetic superstorm, possibly causing a widespread and long-lasting interruption of electric power transmission that would carry significant economic cost…

Qualitatively, the physical connection between magnetic storms and interference to power grid systems is understood: Geoelectric fields induced in the Earth's conducting interior drive uncontrolled, quasi-direct currents through power grid grounding connections (e.g., Molinski, 2002; Piccinelli & Krausmann, 2014; Samuelsson, 2013). Two factors conspire together to produce spatially complex geoelectric fields across the Northeast United States. First, the northeast is situated at latitudes that are close to the ionospheric current systems of the auroral zone, and, therefore, local storm time geomagnetic activity can be intense and complicated (e.g., Prölss, 2004, chapter 8.3.1)—at any instant in time, it can be of high amplitude in some locations, and of lower amplitude in others (e.g., Ngwira et al., 2015; Pulkkinen et al., 2015). Second, the geology of the northeast is complicated (e.g., Rast, 1989; Roy, 1987), and, therefore, subsurface Earth conductivity structure is complicated as well…”

Edited by David Silver

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 12:50 AM, Orneno said:

Either way, it should be less strong by the time it arrives at Earth

It was not a large CME by any means, so it can’t seem produce a storm as strong as -40 like the extreme CMEs in past storms sometimes have. So, it must decay before it arrives. 

That “small CME” that arrived yesterday 3/10 had a dramatic negative affect on my health, with severe 10 out of 10 ringing, headache and body pain until sleep. Probably due to the strong Southern Bz , or possibly induced ground current in my area, but those details are still unclear to me…It was quite bad. It occurred.
I’m in this forum mainly to discuss this with smart people who may be interested in some scientific analysis of this biological effect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Silver said:

That “small CME” that arrived yesterday 3/10 had a dramatic negative affect on my health, with severe 10 out of 10 ringing, headache and body pain until sleep. Probably due to the strong Southern Bz , or possibly induced ground current in my area, but those details are still unclear to me…It was quite bad. It occurred.
I’m in this forum mainly to discuss this with smart people who may be interested in some scientific analysis of this biological effect. 

I'm afraid that all of that might've been psychological or caused by something else.

The earth's magnetic field deformed in a way that the field's strength weakened around 200 to 300 nanoteslas in roughly 10 or 15 minutes or so. There's zero possibility that the magnetic field itself would have an effect to the human body. A normal fridge magnet has a magnetic field strength of one million nanoteslas. Pulling one close to your face quickly would be over billion times more effective.

Strongly negative Bz would only be felt if you were in space so it isn't directly felt on the surface of the earth. The strength of that field is actually very weak.

There can however be currents induced to long electric wires. The induced currents are nonetheless nothing compared to the currents already present in the wires. These kind of geomagnetic storms are also really common. In 2003 there were months when kp5 conditions were present 8 to 11% of the time.

Edited by halojatapäivää
Typo
  • Like 1

I’m sure you’re aware that at times the induced ground current from solar activity causes things to explode and/or burn. This is well documented since Carrington. And happened as recently as 2005.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdfdirect/10.1029/2006JA011926

Thanks for commenting, and yes this topic ultimately belongs in my Heliobiology thread in Other, where you may challenge your assumptions…This isn’t an invitation to debate my experience. It occurred, and my strange solar hypersensitivity has been discussed at length in that thread. I’m just in this thread to discuss current CMEs…and that whatever hit on March 10 causing the magnetic disturbance was unexpectedly stronger than anticipated. Maybe instead it was the combination: fast particles/rays from the full halo CME that happened the same time. It was North America-facing, where I’m located, according to the X-ray D Region absorption. 

Edited by David Silver

I feel there is at least some component of pretending to be qualified and leaning on said qualification as the basis AND the premise for what one sets out to accomplish on social media. No substance, just a goalpost that got moved a few miles.

If you follow pretenders on Twitter and that's really the only basis of conversation we have on this forum anymore, I'm so fucking out of here. This is beyond petty.

Every week it seems, "Big CME coming?!?" and it's the same people, with the same incredulous sources.

Edited by Christopher S.
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, David Silver said:

I’m sure you’re aware that at times the induced ground current from solar activity causes things to explode and/or burn. This is well documented since Carrington. And happened as recently as 2005.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdfdirect/10.1029/2006JA011926

Thanks for commenting, and yes this topic ultimately belongs in my Heliobiology thread in Other, where you may challenge your assumptions…This isn’t an invitation to debate my experience. It occurred, and my strange solar hypersensitivity has been discussed at length in that thread. I’m just in this thread to discuss current CMEs…and that whatever hit on March 10 causing the magnetic disturbance was unexpectedly stronger than anticipated. Maybe instead it was the combination: fast particles/rays from the full halo CME that happened the same time. It was North America-facing, where I’m located, according to the X-ray D Region absorption. 

People talking about something that you said does not mean that it's true. Also,  there have been thousands upon thousands of experiments made by a different people from different times in history  From different places around the world And Most of them have come up with similar results,  Assuming that not all of them have been faked Is one assumption,  And the fact that you are calling that an assumption that can only be challenged in one place Shows that you have not considered the I considered that you're each of your assumptions functions for each one of those experiments that they have been in not conducted well or faked.  The difference between science and pseudoscience is that science involves looking at all the data you've collected while pseudoscience is just looking at the data that supports what you're saying And ignoring that the rest exists, And about the particles from Sammy's they Luciano's they can't even get to anywhere on Earth except on in in the Arctic or Antarctic circles because of the magnetic field of the Earth, And the rays which I'm assuming you mean raise of electromagnetic radiation like light x-rays and scanner a's it is gamma is ultraviolet and so it and so on Hit the Earth when the flare is detected on instruments not not when the CME from it arrives. We're not questioning your experience that We just have to take your word for it that it actually Happened When we have your you're or one event and 1 source is not enough enough to disprove thousands of sources and thousands of moments That say the opposite of You're "experience"  And I'm not even talking about the fact that the device you're using Would affect you way more than the Earth's magnetic field that That is very weak close to the ground window because the Motley majority of it is mild miles above the ground.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

G2 tonight…I focus on science, not anecdotes. This thread is not alarmist, but informative.

Our results may be explained through the direct impact of environmental electric and magnetic fields produced during GMD on the human autonomic nervous system. Interactions between GMD and the autonomic nervous system are likely to induce a cascade of reactions in the body’s electrophysiology

My goal of learning about this topic is to use data from NOAA and peer-reviewed science to merely have a discussion about solar weather, extending beyond the aurora watchers club. There are other interesting things about solar weather we can learn about. My peculiar personal problem has led me to dive deeply into this topic over the past few years and allows me an unpleasant unique perspective, akin to being the canary in the coal mine.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the most horrible headache for 2 to 3 hours last night. Between 10pm and 1am gmt. Can someone please advise me if that was solar related? Headaches are rare for me, it almost never happens, I can’t explain what happened last night, why was I in so much pain. 

Hi Ken, Sorry to hear it. Yes, this geomagnetic can definitely induce headache, depending on many factors. If its rare for you, it surely stands out. Of course, its a subjective experience, and no one can say why you had a headache, without knowing dozens of facts (hydration, caffeine, pre-existing condition, sleep, stress, etc). 

These 'solar symptoms' in general can only be observed objectively with caution observation being careful to not confirm bias.

But IMO, yes. I have had a migraine that defies meds for 2 days during this event, including right now (ow) and 10 out of 10 ringing.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your time and energy. I am sure everyone here are scientifically minded and are understanding of personal bias and how the mind works. The only factor is caffeine, the rest are not in question. As I said I don’t get headaches normally and my life is pretty consistent. I still have a mild headache most of today. 

Can someone please tell me what happened in the last 2 days? Any timing or graphs ?