Heliobiology Research

David Silver
Go to solution Solved by David Silver,

41 minutes ago, ShanMarie said:

This is the alert:

SOLAR WIND ALERT: The solar wind is blowing faster than 700
km/s (722 km/s). A strong solar wind storm is in progress.

And this is where it came from: https://spaceweather.com/

They sent a graph that won't upload here. If these are inaccurate alerts please do let me know.

Thank you

The Solar wind speed hasn't topped 700 since the CME impact on July 23rd.  There was a glitch with the data this morning where one datum was above 700, but that was a glitch that happens periodically and not real data.  Here is the full graph, you can see its just a tiny spike, not an actual increase.image.thumb.png.f795097e7bcbb7698a103b9262ca380d.png

• Like 1

NEW "The role of solar and geomagnetic activity in endothelial activation and inflammation in the NAS cohort

Editor: Andreas Zirlik, Medizinische Universitat Graz, AUSTRIA

Received: May 7, 2021; Accepted: May 5, 2022; Published: July 26, 2022

"Exposure to broad-spectrum electromagnetic solar activity can adversely affect human physiology and lead to adverse health outcomes. Recent epidemiological studies have shown solar and geomagnetic activity is associated with chronic diseases, including cardiovascular diseases(CVD) [3, 4]. A meta-analysis of 263 U.S. cities demonstrated that short-term geomagnetic disturbances are significantly associated with deaths from cardiovascular disease and myocardial infarction [2]. Another study showed significant correlations between space weather and hypertensive mortality and demonstrated cyclicity in the association [2, 5]. Astronauts exposed to the high energy particles from cosmic rays have demonstrated vascular endothelial dysfunction independent of weightlessness and also have an increased CVD mortality rate approximately 4–5 times higher than astronauts who did not travel into space and remained in low Earth’s orbit under the protection of the atmosphere [6]. While these studies suggest an association between solar variables and cardiovascular outcomes, the impact of solar activity on biomarkers for CVD, including biomarkers for endothelial function and inflammation in a large cohort has not been previously studied.

It is known that various radiation sources, including space radiation, can influence cardiovascular risk, however there is an absence of research on the effects of solar and geomagnetic activity on endothelial function and inflammatory markers, and the role it could play in the development of atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease [7]. Therefore, we explored the association between short- and middle-term exposures to solar activity parameters and biomarkers for adverse endothelial function and inflammatory responses. This study used soluble intracellular adhesion molecule-1 (sICAM-1) and vascular adhesion molecule-1 (sVCAM-1) as biomarkers of endothelial activation, C-reactive protein (CRP) as a marker of inflammation, and fibrinogen as a marker of coagulation. Each of these biomarkers has been associated with increased risk of cardiovascular outcomes [812]. The solar activity measures included interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) intensity and sunspot number (SSN), while planetary K index (Kp) was used as an indicator of geomagnetic disturbances. This study complements recent research evaluating the associations between solar and geomagnetic activity and immune function and is the first study to our knowledge that specifically investigates the associations between solar activity and endothelial and inflammation."

Conclusion

This study has demonstrated that solar activity and geomagnetic disturbances significantly increase sICAM-1 and sVCAM-1 levels. Solar activity was also associated with a significant increase in CRP and geomagnetic disturbance (Kp index) was associated with a significant increase in fibrinogen. These findings may help explain temporal increase of inflammatory and endothelial markers during intense solar and geomagnetic activity."

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0268700

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

5 hours ago, David Silver said:

Interesting topic, I will take a look through the comments. I have some interesting stories to tell about unusual experiences over the course of my life, especially the incidents which occurred in the 1960s, my teen years.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 10:56 PM, David Silver said:

Hi, thanks for commenting. Allergies certainly have many negative physical effects anyone should consider. But to not change the subject, we’re really only talking about known and current research on health effects from solar weather.

For instance, the M flare we had around August 28th woke me up a couple minutes after it happened with a stabbing migraine, in the typical right temple geomagnetic storm location most others suffer with. I’m past speculation or correlation; this thread is about causation and more to learn about various heliobiology research.

This is confusing to me. On the one hand, you're talking about "known and current research", and on the other hand you're providing a personal anecdote about a migraine that could have been caused by a gazillion different things, making grand statements about being "past speculation or correlation".

Which one do you want to talk about, known research or speculative anecdotes?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This recent explanation of the global electric circuit is very clear:

”Coronal mass ejections (CMEs) and their subset, magnetic clouds (MCs – twisted magnetic flux tubes), carry a significant amount of magnetic flux, mass, and energy outward from the Sun to the interplanetary medium (Amari et al., 2003). In many cases, they are responsible for geomagnetic storms since they are usually associated with interplanetary shocks and long–duration southward interplanetary magnetic field (IMF), thus reconnection can occur on the dayside magnetopause (Borovsky and Denton, 2006).

Magnetic reconnection is a key explosive phenomenon in collisionless plasma that converts magnetic energy to plasma kinetic energy through a change in the magnetic field topology. The injection of solar wind particles and changes in the magnetic field due to the reconnection generate a variety of currents in the magnetosphere-ionosphere system, such as cross-tail current, field-aligned currents, partial ring current, etc. A fraction of the tail current can be temporarily diverted through the ionosphere, allowing closure of the current wedge and causing perturbations in the auroral zone and at the middle latitudes (McPherron and Chu, 2017). Sudden variations in the solar wind’s dynamic pressure cause changes in the magnetopause and tail current systems.
These perturbations lead to geomagnetic storms and substorms during which energetic particles are injected into the inner magnetosphere along the magnetic field lines. The plasma sheet is convected inward and the current wedge may rise. During storms, the ring current (a westward current comprising ions drifting westward and electrons drifting eastward in heights roughly ∼ 2 − 4 Earth radii in the equatorial plane) is supplied with charged particles from the plasma sheet, leading to a significant and prolonged decrease of the geomagnetic field (Ganushkina et al., 2017). The decrease of the geomagnetic field strength can be measured via the Dst index.
During storms, there can also be strong horizontal currents in the ionosphere, which fluctuate in the ionosphere and can cause a time variation of the terrestrial magnetic field, which induces a voltage potential on the surface of the Earth (Koskinen et al., 2001).”

Induced ground current

“(Koskinen et al., 2001:
Ground Level Events (GLE). Such events typically occur only once or twice per solar cycle. During September and October 1989 a series of events led to enhancements of up to a factor 6 at Concorde altitudes (Dyer et al, 1990), while at mountain altitudes neutrons were increased by a factor 3. Dose-rates would have been of order 100 microSieverts per hour at Concorde and 20 microSieverts per hour at conventional altitudes. The largest ground level event was on 23 February 1956 when a factor 50 increase occurred at high latitudes (1 GV rigidity cut-off). The latitude dependence during solar particle events is much steeper than for quiet-time (Quenby and Webber, 1959). During the 1956 event the enhancement factor was 10 at 3 GV and 2 at 5 GV. It is believed that there were no aircraft observations and the event preceded spaceflight. It is estimated that aircraft dose rates could have been as high as 30 milliSieverts (mSv) per hour at Concorde altitudes and 10 mSv per hour at conventional altitudes (Foelsche, 1974) so that very serious doses could have been received. During a single flight on 23 February 1956, passengers and crew at conventional altitudes could well have exceeded the currently recommended annual exposure limit for radiation workers (20 mSv).”

I saw the aurora in Massachusetts during this 1989 solar event, it was totally beautiful. I also experienced my first significant three-day bout of intense ear ringing that week.

• Cool 1

For quite some time now I have thought I was "crazy" for what I feel in my body and brain  before I would get spaceweather.com alerts. I have now learned there is a name for what I feel "sun sensitivity". I do not understand the science of why I can feel solar activity. I am actually clueless when it comes to science. When there are "flares, winds, storms" (forgive me if I am using incorrect terminology) I feel as though my body is turning inside out, I'm nauseous, get a low grade fever, my brain feels swollen and there is a ringing sound like a fire alarm in my head. It's debilitating and distressing. I no longer get alerts as they trip my nervous system into worrying what might happen even though usually I'm already in an episode by the time the alert arrives. Now I just check spaceweather.com if I am feeling an episode to confirm the pattern. I have been ill with chemical, mold and emf sensitivity for 5 years now and I wonder if there is any connection with all these. Like maybe one makes me vulnerable to another. I also wonder things like...the sun is just doing what the sun has always done--what is it now that would make one susceptible to reacting to its activity? Is it something to do with the earth's atmosphere, climate change, EMF's etc?

Please don't attack me if I have said something uneducated or used terminology incorrectly--like I said I don't pretend to be in the know scientifically. I am just looking for a better understanding of what I experience and how I might find some relief.

• Like 2

Typically someone who is susceptible to negative affects from space weather has a preexisting condition, such as dysregulation, or autoimmune disease, and/or issues with inflammation. These can be genetic or can be brought on from "adverse childhood experience"; take the A.C.E.s text to see where you land on that spectrum. In general, someone who scores a 5 on ACEs is 5 times more like to develop many serious diseases later in life, due to structural brain differences and "imbalance" in neurochemistry, resulting in too much cortisol, inability to regulate stressors, amygdala disfunction, etc. Somehow this seems to make SOME people (estimated 10% of population) "solar sensitive".

Interventions for symptoms can help some people, some of the time, and others may feel they can only "wait it out".  (This week 8/17/22 is challenging. 10 out of 10 ringing 24/7, no sleep for three days.)

You should not feel attacked here. We are only trying to discuss this poorly understood mechanism with the hope some genius from Harvard Medical School will chime in with new data. Until then, I keep searching. Read this thread, read the linked abstracts and you'll begin to understand better. You're not alone, welcome @ShanMarie 

• Thanks 1

Thank you. Yes I do have: a preexisting condition MSAC, nervous system dysregulation, Ebstein Barr, and issues with inflammation. GAD, PTSD and childhood sexual abuse trauma.

Lots of counseling, neuroplasticity brain retraining and trauma therapy for the emotional stuff. And good bio-chemist ND for the health issues. But the sensitivity to elements is quite challenging. I wouldn't wish this on anyone and yet I do find some comfort that there are others who have similar experiences and that a discussion is being had that maybe someday will be picked up by a "genius from Harvard"..I like that :)

I will read through this thread and the links.

Many thanks

• Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 12:25 PM, Tia said:

Magnesium glycenate helps me as well as B vitamins. Something else that helps my symptoms is using sound waves and meditation to move the energies through the central nervous system. Each person’s nervous system receives external stimuli at different wavelengths and intensity, so the particular tone will vary for each person. Slowing down the electric impulses seems to help with the physical discomfort in my experience and this can also be true for red light and sitting in a completely dark room for awhile. 

Magnetohydrodynamics and magnetostatics seems to have quite a hit of information. Also any studies involving plasma seems to hold merit. 

Each body responds differently to information. If there is high frequency vibrations it could, potentially, allow certain bodily fluids to move more freely as a result of the friction. Anything is possible. 

Could the magnetic poles on the sun flipping have more of a drastic effect on some than others? Some people are more aligned with an electro static field rather than an electromagnetic field, similar to the wave/particle duality we observe in physics. Microcosm/macrocosm relation. Perhaps some people have more -ions where as others may have more +ions creating the differences in biological response? When the sun has anomalies in the magnetic poles there may be alternate symptoms/effects. This is a fascinating school of thought imo, and what are the ways a human is capable of shifting their electrostatic/electromagnetic field to adjust for the impacts? 

Follow this thought back to the origin and you arrive at the central nervous system. Ionic bonds seem to be the solution for symptoms as well as the cause. Which infers there are ways to navigate the remedy holistically. 

From my understanding is that yes the astronauts used to have optical light phenomena occur in the form of geometric patterns, and they have since modified the helmets to block out these particular spectrums. 

Once bitten twice shy? It seems like an error to discredit all possibilities due to a teaching moment if discernment. Could it be that perhaps there are things we dont have the answers to as a collective yet some individual experiences are not false? Could objective observations and being open to possibilities without developing a fixed belief be a method of entertaining said possibilities and not closing the doors completely? Just a thought. 

Just gonna chime in. Salt baths can be helpful for some depending on their personal ion flux. Some it may exacerbate the symptoms, however in those cases, it seems that clay baths with bentonite clay can be a benefit. Another experiment that could be helpful is to shift ones ph by way of sodium bicarbonate to make more alkaline, or vinegar to make more acidic. Often times if i feel the buzzing in my nervous system, drinking pickle juice and taking a hot shower to increase -ions helps reduce symptoms tremendously. This varies situationally and isn't 💯… which has also led me further into this field of study. 

First things first, please stop trying to sound wise, it's not working and it just makes it harder to understand what you're trying to say.

Second, you need to listen to what you said, you are the one who's not already doing it. 

Third, it's obvious that you have absolutely no idea what any of the terminology you're trying to use actually means.

The central nervous system is your brain and your spinal cord.

I'm pretty sure that "Magnetohydrodynamics" is not even a real word, but "magneto" means that it has something to do with magnetism, and hydrodynamics is about the motion of liquids. 

Plasma is ionized gasses 

Vibration is rapid shaking 

The definition of friction is "the resistance that one surface or object encounters when moving over another."

Electro-static is just static electricity.

Electromagnetic means that it has something to do with Electromagnetism 

The electromagnetic field is part of quantum field theory and Is way to complicated to get into right now.

Wave particle duality is the fact that subatomic particles act like both a wave and a particle 

Ions are just atoms that have gained or lost one or more electrons, meaning that they have an electric charge 

An anomaly is something that is not normal or expected 

Ionic bonds are atomic bonds formed between two atoms because of opposing charges 

Fourth, those "optical light phenomena" 

1, they where not patterns, they where bright flashes.

2, they still do happen. 

3, they are caused by slightly increased radiation that you can't avoid when in space. 

Finally, you need to know that the people who create misinformation usually know that they are lying, they don't care about who they deceive, they only do it for personal gain.

• Like 1

Aaaand, ignore. 
Atmosphere magazine Special Heliobiology edition

energetic particles, waves and radiation, derived from the solar atmosphere, reach the geo-environment. Geomagnetic substorms or storms, as well as ionospheric disturbances, are recorded. Climatic parameters of the upper atmosphere are affected too. The effect of this helio-geomagnetic activity on human technology, e.g., in the operation of artificial satellites, on air flights, in electricity networks and gas pipelines, is well known, as well as its effect on the health of astronauts, either on the space station or space travel to the Moon and Mars. Many studies have been done on the impact of these events on weather and climate. However, the question remains open, although some correlation has been found between solar activity and various climatic factors. It seems that the biosphere is also affected by these events, as effects have been found on the evolution of some plants and the behavior of some animals. Moreover, many medical studies have shown the effect of the helio-geomagnetic activity on human health, with an emphasis on neurological and cardiological problems….

Variations affecting human psychophysiology due to changes in solar activity directly document the assertion that psychology, behavior, and decision-making all reflect geomagnetic field alterations that stem from variable solar activity. The relevant experiments showed that solar processes, during which the Earth is exposed to electrically charged particles from the Sun (solar wind), exert an impact on the psychophysiological parameters of the body. 

On 8/17/2022 at 3:06 PM, No pseudoscience said:

Plasma is ionized gasses 

To add a bit to this, plasma can have much higher density (typically) than gas. Also, plasma has less/no collisions compared to gas. 

Plasma (physics) - Wikipedia

"Plasma is distinct from the other states of matter. In particular, describing a low-density plasma as merely an "ionized gas" is wrong and misleading, even though it is similar to the gas phase in that both assume no definite shape or volume."

23 hours ago, ShanMarie said:

Thank you I have been trying but it's like reading a foreign language. I don't know what any of it means. I appreciate your suggestions and I'll keep reading.

There is a lot of articles posted in this thread and technical jargon. I would urge you to avoid conclusions on the cause of your symptoms. This thread is not medical advice or meant to diagnose unknown causes of symptoms. 

There is the potential read into the articles to find whatever you want. While there are effects caused by solar weather experienced on Earth, the degree of impact is still being studying. There are also many myths and assertions mixed in. 

On 8/17/2022 at 11:31 AM, ShanMarie said:

I also wonder things like...the sun is just doing what the sun has always done--what is it now that would make one susceptible to reacting to its activity? Is it something to do with the earth's atmosphere, climate change, EMF's etc? 

Perhaps, it's hard to say, even for medical professionals. The Unknown is a big area, and it's easy put explanations into the Unknown to avoid feeling crazy. 

On 8/17/2022 at 11:31 AM, ShanMarie said:

I am just looking for a better understanding of what I experience and how I might find some relief.

There is a lot to learn, and this website has a lot of good information. Here are a couple of good wiki articles to start a basic understanding of some of the systems involved:

Sun - Wikipedia

Magnetosphere - Wikipedia

Atmosphere of Earth - Wikipedia

On 8/20/2022 at 8:26 PM, Archmonoth said:

To add a bit to this, plasma can have much higher density (typically) than gas. Also, plasma has less/no collisions compared to gas. 

Plasma (physics) - Wikipedia

"Plasma is distinct from the other states of matter. In particular, describing a low-density plasma as merely an "ionized gas" is wrong and misleading, even though it is similar to the gas phase in that both assume no definite shape or volume."

There is a lot of articles posted in this thread and technical jargon. I would urge you to avoid conclusions on the cause of your symptoms. This thread is not medical advice or meant to diagnose unknown causes of symptoms. 

There is the potential read into the articles to find whatever you want. While there are effects caused by solar weather experienced on Earth, the degree of impact is still being studying. There are also many myths and assertions mixed in. 

Perhaps, it's hard to say, even for medical professionals. The Unknown is a big area, and it's easy put explanations into the Unknown to avoid feeling crazy. 

There is a lot to learn, and this website has a lot of good information. Here are a couple of good wiki articles to start a basic understanding of some of the systems involved:

Sun - Wikipedia

Magnetosphere - Wikipedia

Atmosphere of Earth - Wikipedia

Wikipedia isn't a reliable source, anyone can change any part of an article at any time, with only a few articles that need permission. 

4 hours ago, No pseudoscience said:

Wikipedia isn't a reliable source, anyone can change any part of an article at any time, with only a few articles that need permission. 

That particular wiki article has 82 links.

If you don't trust ANY of the linked articles in the plasma physics wiki article, try this one: Plasma Physics Fundamentals for Ion Sources (lbl.gov)

"Collision are fundamentally different between charge particles in the plasma – they are governed through collective effects"

This is probably the biggest difference between gaseous behavior and ionized particles. 

Regarding the reliability of Wikipedia: How Reliable Is Wikipedia? (legalmorning.com)

"Wikipedia might be edited by a conglomerate of individuals who don’t have the expertise of some scholars, it still manages to be one of the most reliable resources on the planet."

How Accurate Is Wikipedia? | Live Science

"In 2005, the peer-reviewed journal Nature asked scientists to compare Wikipedia's scientific articles to those in Encyclopaedia Britannica—"the most scholarly of encyclopedias," according to its own Wiki page. The comparison resulted in a tie; both references contained four serious errors among the 42 articles analyzed by experts."

I still think criticism is required, but many of the links provided by wiki articles can stand on their own merit. 

Edited by Archmonoth

13 hours ago, Archmonoth said:

That particular wiki article has 82 links.

If you don't trust ANY of the linked articles in the plasma physics wiki article, try this one: Plasma Physics Fundamentals for Ion Sources (lbl.gov)

"Collision are fundamentally different between charge particles in the plasma – they are governed through collective effects"

This is probably the biggest difference between gaseous behavior and ionized particles. 

Regarding the reliability of Wikipedia: How Reliable Is Wikipedia? (legalmorning.com)

"Wikipedia might be edited by a conglomerate of individuals who don’t have the expertise of some scholars, it still manages to be one of the most reliable resources on the planet."

How Accurate Is Wikipedia? | Live Science

"In 2005, the peer-reviewed journal Nature asked scientists to compare Wikipedia's scientific articles to those in Encyclopaedia Britannica—"the most scholarly of encyclopedias," according to its own Wiki page. The comparison resulted in a tie; both references contained four serious errors among the 42 articles analyzed by experts."

I still think criticism is required, but many of the links provided by wiki articles can stand on their own merit. 

Please read this article,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:General_disclaimer

6 hours ago, No pseudoscience said:

I don't disagree, and why I said criticism is still required. 

Collections of links are still useful for looking at/for information, and why I provided a direct link for my point about plasma. 

Is there any correlation between an increase in people being Helio sensitive and the Space X satellite program? Does having so many satellites in space effect our electromagnetic field -- our own and the earths? The major release of the satellites began in May 2019 but there was satellite releases before then...

Hi, Shanmarie. No. Some people claim to be electro sensitive, and affected by Wi-Fi, and there may be some crossover for very hypersensitive people.

But Heliobiology has been a scientific discipline for 100+ years, and the energy of the Sun and Earth’s electromagnetic field are infinitely more powerful.

We are heliosensitive especially on days like today, when we’re having significant space weather and the ionosphere is supercharged.

Ionosphere D region upper Mesosphere

73F3B9AD-7135-4573-BD01-1CCE0F9E15B6.jpeg

Edited by David Silver

1 hour ago, David Silver said:

But Heliobiology has been a scientific discipline for 100+ years, and the energy of the Sun and Earth’s electromagnetic field are infinitely more powerful.

Do you have a source for this? 

I found reference to Alexander Leonidovich Chizhevsky who used the word and described what you are talking about. Later in the 50s I can find a reference, where there is more investigation, but I don't see anything describing it as a scientific discipline. 

I found this 1974 publication by NASAheliobiology, its development, successes and tasks - NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS)

I'm not seeing any references in dictionaries.

Where do you see a 100+ evidence of Heilobiology as a scientific discipline? (Also, no spell check considers heliobiology a word)

I am not discounting anything; I am asking why you think it is a 100+ year SCIENTIFIC discipline, and what is your source?

Edited by Archmonoth

Spaaaaace Bioloogyyyyyyyy

Yes, you can read about him on Wikipedia and other places. Research was sparse for the first 50 years but has become more common.

Alexander Chizhevsky was an interdisciplinary scientist in a Soviet area that is now Poland, a biophysicist who founded Heliobiology around 1920 (study of the sun's effect on biology) aka cosmobiology, aka chronobiology (when focused on melatonin and circadian rhythms) and also discovered aero-ionization (study of effect of ionization of air on biological entities).

He attended lectures in physics and mathematics and studied at the Medical Department of Moscow University while working at the Lazarev Biophysical Research Institute. Nobel Prize in Chemistry winner Svante Arrhenius invited Chizhevsky to work for him. At a home laboratory Chizhevsky performed research on the influence of ionized air on animals, establishing the physiological action of negative and positive ions in the air on living organisms. (Negative ions making them more excitable and positive making them more lethargic.) He went on to work in the Duorv Zoo-Psychology Laboratory as a senior scientist and professor. During this time he compiled statistics on biospheric processes and their connection with cycles of solar activity.

In 1926, Chizhevsky worked with Konstantin Tsiolkovsky in the world's first experimental research in the field of space biology. In 1929 he was elected to the Tulan Academy of Sciences and He lectured on biophysics at Columbia University in New York City. 

I like one of his titles “The Terrestrial Echo of Solar Storms, 1936” 

This deeply nerdy research is quite dense to read and it may not mention the word Heliobiology, ie.

Effects of magnetic fields on biological systems

Other scientists followed in his footsteps attempting to explain these adverse health effects with gradual results but the topic has been quite obscure in the mainstream…Until this forum thread forced it into the sunlight;)

https://link.springer.com/search?dc.creator=É. N. Chirkova

This is now an important issue for increased space missions, and important for 10-15% of us on Earth sensitive to geomagnetic changes.

Link: Harvard Heliobiology summary / published 2006 on ADS operated by the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory under NASA

We’re having some weather today:

6180803F-E6DE-48D9-9DC7-C619B1C45D86.jpeg

Edited by David Silver
  • Thanks 1