CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

2024/03/23 Event CME

This CME must of had some real smooth sailing thanks to that CIR and possibly that filament eruption as well.

Just now, Ingolf said:

What do you think, how long will it last? Is there a chance that it will last more than 4h? 

With the CH in place geomagnetic storming should last for a while. The intensity might wane a bit over the next 6-12 hours but it's too early to tell what duration this event will have.

20 minutes ago, GameSki said:

Can't wait to see aurora clouds!

I'm stuck in a snow storm for the next day or two haha. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Parabolic said:

I'm stuck in a snow storm for the next day or two haha. 

At least something interesting is happening! It's just CLOUDS here tonight, although maybe I'm sent a miracle? :rolleyes:

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ingolf said:

What do you think, how long will it last? Is there a chance that it will last more than 4h? 

The CME should last about 24 hours, including the flux rope once it arrives. Then the solar wind velocities will make its steeper decline.

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, arjemma said:

We might be able to reach G4 under a short period of time... maybe.

You think?

8 minutes ago, Ingolf said:

Wish i would know that :D 

I have looked the imagery through several times over across several bands, thanks to SDO sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/aiahmi/

Those "plasma tornadoes" "filament vortexes" etc. that we often see flanking a spot somewhere on the disk, which commonly "lift off" as a flare is occurring or about to occur elsewhere(trying to rely on this being somewhat common knowledge, sorry for lack of links) may have something to do with the less common phenomena coinciding with a traditional CME arrival and low-end X-flare.

One was present, seemingly locked in by large coronal loops/strong field lines, smack dab in the heart of AR 3614, which also showed a swirl-like feature on the surface at the point where this vortex would come to contact the surface of the Sun. It seems to have lifted off following an episode of "complex dynamics" within the yet-unnumbered region rotating into view, on the N side, if we're to accept the idea that these respond to/correlate with far-ish spot activity.

In other words, this was like a wick of dense matter being flash-lit in a hot pan, setting it off as well as blowing the pan up on the way out. The spot immediately waned and took a backseat to 3615. It's likely some of the dense matter was converted to energies that the neighboring spot has been reacting to/boosted by, in a sense of conversion. The question I have to consider is whether or not these swirls can spring up anywhere, or, what specific conditions led to one subsisting directly above a sunspot with one dominant polarity?

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

You think?

Wish i would know that :D 

Well, I definitely will grab the camera and give it a try as soon as it's getting darker.

Fun fact: I'll shoot in your direction. Fingers crossed for some open sky between the clouds. 

2 minutes ago, Ingolf said:

Well, I definitely will grab the camera and give it a try as soon as it's getting darker.

Fun fact: I'll shoot in your direction. Fingers crossed for some open sky between the clouds. 

If it were dark (and there were no clouds and the full moon wasn't there) there would already be a chance of photographic polarlights :D

aurora_probability_map_nightMode.png
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SamDieGurke said:

I hope this lasts a long time... but then the CLOUDS!!! have to disappear too. Stupid low pressure !!!

You cannot scare away the CLOUDS