CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

2024/03/23 Event CME

Just now, Isatsuki San said:

and it looks like the flux rope is coming?

Right now the EPAMp is just in a decline after the CME arrival. The values are so high right now, it will be interesting to see how much they drop when the flux rope does come

5 minutes ago, Peter Sedlák said:

Don't worry. Europe is behind you. CLOUDS.

(also why is upload size capped at 200 kB?)

obrázok_2024-03-24_165240695.png

Hey, it's blue skies here (Přelouč), but sun, sun, and a few more hours of sun! I think we have no hope left in the dark.

4 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

En este momento, el EPAMp está en declive después de la llegada de CME . Los valores son tan altos en este momento que será interesante ver cuánto caen cuando llegue la cuerda de flujo.

32 BT and 25 bz to north, to be honest I'm a little afraid that something will happen, but I still try to calm myself down,

Just now, Isatsuki San said:

32 BT and 25 bz to north, to be honest I'm a little afraid that something will happen, but I still try to calm myself down,

why should something happen? especially with northward BZ?

2 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Boulder looks to have hit K8, College (CMO) is just short of K9

will the positive bz hinder storming?

1 minute ago, MeteoLatvia said:

:(

image.png.7991ce50b1e7ff61bb8ebfae62800a10.png

it may make another swing :) 

Just now, MinYoongi said:

¿Por qué debería pasar algo? ¿Especialmente con BZ hacia el norte?

Honestly nothing, but I'm afraid it will go south, honestly I have a very nervous mind, but I still try to calm myself down by seeing the bz to the north

1 minute ago, arjemma said:

I'm in reaction jail for liking to many comments.

For anyone worried about this storm taking out tech or power grids, this is nothing. We would need several storms like this back to back for anything like that happening. We are safe. We want aurora. We hate clouds.

I ran out too, id love to give you a big heart and thank you for that :) 

2 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

Honestly nothing, but I'm afraid it will go south, honestly I have a very nervous mind, but I still try to calm myself down by seeing the bz to the north

This CME is no where close to something to worry about at all. There are CMEs that take half the time to travel to Earth and we'll still be fine.

• Like 1

24 minuten geleden, Chris_Wicklund zei:

Where did you find this?

I'm just watching the magnetometer values and comparing them to the K-Index value scales

Now Boulder looks to have reached K8, College may have reached K9.

The comments did not merge, so maybe we have someone new to the forums?

Barrow looks to have possibly reached K9 as well.

• Like 1

Severe G4 geomagnetic storm conditions (Kp8) have now been observed due to the ongoing effects of the X1.1 coronal mass ejection. The north-south orientation of the interplanetary magnetic field (Bz) has rotated northward however which will suppress auroral activity soon but keep an eye on the data to see if the Bz component of the IMF will turn southward again later today. The solar wind speed remains high at 800km/s which does somewhat mitigate the negative effects of the northward Bz component but for aurora at low latitudes like Germany we do want a southward Bz component as it gets darker.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

is it likely to be stopped due to the positive bz?

Watching Phi it looks like it will go south again but might not go as far south because of the speed Marcel mentioned. Since I'm in a snow storm it will probably have the best viewing conditions since last years G4